Girgensons signs one-year, $1+ million deal

Hoss

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2016/09/01/sabres-ink-girgensons-to-one-year-contract/

SABRES INK GIRGENSONS TO ONE-YEAR CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 1, 2016) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Zemgus Girgensons to a one-year contract.

“Zemgus has grown into a solid two-way player since beginning his career,” saidSabres General Manager Tim Murray. “We hope to see him continue this positive trend and find a consistent role within the club this season as another young player to grow with our group.”

Girgensons (6’1”, 203 lbs., 1/5/1994) recorded 18 points (7+11) and 20 penalty minutes in 71 games during the 2015-16 season. Drafted by the Sabres in the first round (14th overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft, the Riga, Latvia native has registered 70 points (30+40) and 59 penalty minutes in 202 career games from 2013 to 2016.

Interesting signing. So what's the main motive here for Murray I wonder? Gotta think they are hoping he ups his game this year. In which case, they are probably on the hook for having to pay him more than they would have had they locked him up for more years on this deal. If he truly thought Zemgus was heading for a career year, maybe he doesn't only sign him for 1 year.

But he could have traded him if he didn't see him fitting in. Maybe Murray is fine with what Girgensons brings, but Girgs was asking for more than Murray thought he was worth, so Murray is gambling that Girgensons will have a good, but not great, season this year, allowing him to lock him up for longer term at what he sees as a fair price, next offseason. And if Girgs somehow flatlines, there's no risk with this contract.

Correct.

Upon further review, I'm fine with it. Even if he has a big year and gets a $3 mil+ payday, he'll be cost controlled when Eichel and Reinhart are coming off their ELCs, as opposed to coming off his bridge then.

Unless he gets another 1 year deal next offseason.

I'm kind of surprised by the reaction of many fans. So many pointing out that it's a "prove-it deal." Well ... Yea. He has proved absolutely zilch as a pro and hasn't warranted anything but a deal of this nature. This was to be expected.

Eh. No way I'm doing the legwork on this, but I don't recall one year deals coming off of an ELC to be all that common. Two year bridge is standard, to my memory.

This is a great deal for the Sabres. I've said before that Big Z had no leverage and this 1yr proves it. I also like the deal for Z's prospective. He gets a decent raise and has another year to prove the he deserves good money and to prove he is part of the long-term core.

His battle now is to win a top 2 line LW job or beat put Larsson for the 3rd line center.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Eh. No way I'm doing the legwork on this, but I don't recall one year deals coming off of an ELC to be all that common. Two year bridge is standard, to my memory.

It does seem a little different. Hence my wayward analysis upthread. We'll probably be in the same place next summer with him.

UFA is after you turn 27, or 7 pro seasons, right? So Girensons doesn't turn 27 until 2021, so he still has 5 more RFA seasons left. I think he'll reach 7 seasons after the 2020 season, but still 4 more RFA seasons.

I'd think he's on track to be UFA at 25, he's been pro (in Rochester) since 18. Right?

I'd think he's on track to be UFA at 25, he's been pro (in Rochester) since 18. Right?

I believe at 18 and 19 one only accrues years by playing NHL games.

"The Definition of Professional Experience changes based on age as well. If you're 18 or 19, you only gain professional experience by playing 10 or more games in the NHL. Players older than that gain a year by playing 10 or more games of hockey at any professional level (NHL, AHL, ECHL, European league)."

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

me :p

Grigorenko put up more points, and has been playing top 6 at the end of the year.

Girgensons has 30 goals and 70 points in 202 NHL games.

Grigorenko has 12 goals and 41 points in 142 NHL games.

Grigorenko had more assists last season, but Zemgus the Destroyer had more goals (6 to 7).

On a separate note, someone mentioned in the Foligno contract thread that GMTM may have signed him to the 1 year to protect him from the expansion draft.

If that scenario is indeed true and it would protect Foligno, would the same stand for Girgensons?

Edited by Tom Backyard

Girgensons has 30 goals and 70 points in 202 NHL games.

Grigorenko has 12 goals and 41 points in 142 NHL games.

Grigorenko had more assists last season, but Zemgus the Destroyer had more goals (6 to 7).

On a separate note, someone mentioned in the Foligno contract thread that GMTM may have signed him to the 1 year to protect him from the expansion draft.

If that scenario is indeed true and it would protect Foligno, would the same stand for Girgensons?

Vegas can still grab him because he'd be an RFA and they'd control his rights. That's not the same boat as a pending UFA like Kulikov who can walk a week after getting snatched by Vegas.

Vegas can still grab him because he'd be an RFA and they'd control his rights. That's not the same boat as a pending UFA like Kulikov who can walk a week after getting snatched by Vegas.

Right. Unless very much mistaken, both Foligno and Girgensons could potentially be claimed, if not protected.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.