What Is Buffalo's Next Move?

WildCard

Where does Okposo fit in your opinion? What line is he on?

You didn't ask for MY opinion, but you'll get it anyways, and like it.

Can he play LW? If so, gotta be:

Okposo - Eichel - Reinhart

Would be a nice line.

Edit - If no Vesey.

My guess is Okposo comes in around $7M. I'm not interested at that price.

Gotta depend on the term I suppose. He may actually be a 7 mil player, because he's putting up 60+ points. That top line quality. Sustainability is the question.

Missa say thank yousa.

I like to think I'm not on the "because Buffalo" ledge, though. I like to think I generally am just being a realist. The chances of getting the top FAs is low just because of the basic odds. High demand, low supply. Lots of teams in the hunt.

Obviously the odds aren't as extreme, but sometimes I feel like not getting the top FA and saying "because Buffalo" is like buying a lottery ticket, not winning, and saying, "Damn, nothing ever goes my way!"

I love the Hoffman idea. Probably as much or more than any of the UFAs out there. For me it's Vesey as one, Hoffman two, if he's available.

You're not on the "Because Buffalo" train as far as I can tell, but man, that post was awfully sad :lol:

I'm not sure if Hoffman is available so much as the team doesn't (or didn't under Bryan Murray) love him enough to go long term. I think they'd be amenable to a deal that makes sense, particularly if goaded with an offer sheet.

My guess is Okposo comes in around $7M. I'm not interested at that price.

Agreed.

Not to get all yingy/yangy...But in spite of us "doing nothing" today, today was good.  PK exits the division.  

We didn't sacrifice everything for Stamkos.  Detroit and Toronto are sad.  Sounds like a pretty good day to me !!!

Detroit got worse this week losing Datsyuk, Montreal got worse long-term, Tampa will get worse because of the cap, Boston is determined to Sweeney-fy...

Hell, if Murray won the Pysyk trade we've gained ground in the entire division.

Detroit got worse this week losing Datsyuk, Montreal got worse long-term, Tampa will get worse because of the cap, Boston is determined to Sweeney-fy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGgLG2kxFD4

Us in october.

Edited by Huckleberry

On closer look, seems like Okposo did play some left wing. Would only be particularly interested in him sans Vesey. He could play second line LW. If he needs to be on the right, he could go up top and Ennis could shuffle down to second line LW.

Would still prefer Hoffman. And even more so, Vesey. Although Hoffman/Vesey would be close.

Two of them would also be nice, depending on Okposo's cost.

Offer sheet Lindholm. Offer Loui Eriksson 3 years at an above market value yearly basis to keep the term down. We have money so overpaying a guy to ensure less term for when we need it is an advantage of Pegula money. Lastly get Eichel, ROR, Samson, and Management on a plane and get Vesey to put pen to paper.

TBF, this sounds like they are not all in on Vesey. More so that they're focused on him right now, but have back up plans? i.e. they need to figure him out first

Murray's probably giving the guy until 12:00 p.m. July 1st. Vesey has had plenty of time to think. If he doesn't sign on the 1st GMTM quickly makes attempts for FA (s) on his list. Quite sure he'll be busy on the phone in trade talks as well. Doesn't mean Murray will actually add anything this summer. But quite sure he has plans a, b and c in mind. 

Don't forget, long term, Detroit passed on Chychrun to get a shot at Stamkos. I wasn't Chychrun's biggest fan, but if his supporters are right, that ends up being a huge swing and a miss on Detroit's part.

Worked out really well for us the last time we failed to sign the top UFA, former lightning star center and settled for a long term deal with the next best forward in Free Agency.

Worked out really well for the team that signed the top UFA, former lightning star center too, didn't it?

Don't forget, long term, Detroit passed on Chychrun to get a shot at Stamkos. I wasn't Chychrun's biggest fan, but if his supporters are right, that ends up being a huge swing and a miss on Detroit's part.

Great point.

And people snickered at Murray for "squandering" a third on Vesey.

Murray's probably giving the guy until 12:00 p.m. July 1st. Vesey has had plenty of time to think. If he doesn't sign on the 1st GMTM quickly makes attempts for FA (s) on his list. Quite sure he'll be busy on the phone in trade talks as well. Doesn't mean Murray will actually add anything this summer. But quite sure he has plans a, b and c in mind. 

Don't think he is waiting on Vessey, if he doesn't know by now that Vessey is signing with us or not, it really doesn't matter for him, he has several plans and he will continue to work for the best ones possible.

Anybody have interest in Boedker now? I loved him before the deadline but soured on him quickly as the deadline approached. Pittsburgh's cup run with similar players in the lineup has me a little more interested if he becomes a bargain option.

GMTM has reiterated that the Sabres are "a ways away" from being where they want to be, and I don't see them standing pat & hoping a Vesey signing is their greatest hope of taking the next step.  They need to show their fans, and Vesey, that they are making strides.  May the chase for the big fish continue.

Three moves:

Sign David Backes:  Although he is on the wrong side of 30 (turned 32 May 1st) he is still a productive 2nd line player, finishing 2nd for the Blues last season in goals (21) and 3rd in points (45).  Has scored 28 pp goals over the last three seasons, and still logs close to 20 minutes of ice time per game.   Still one of the best two way centers in the game and someone you can count on each night (missing only 16 games the last 8 seasons).   He is a phenomenal leader that, along with ROR, will be a perfect role model for the Eichel, Reinharts, and Nylanders on the team.  Although his goal production has gone down the last three seasons (27, 26, 21) on the right line he can still be a close to 20-goal player with his assists rising depending on who he is paired with.  Come playoff time he'll be the welcome voice of a seasoned vet.

Trade for Kevin Shattenkirk:  I know they acquired the left shot Kulikov, but the late addition of Cody Franson last season shows the Sabres are never satisfied at the D position.  TM has stated many times if there is a better player out there he will move out someone and make room for them.  Safe to say Shattenkirk is an upgrade on the right side over both Bogosian and Franson, which is all we have behind Risto.  Shattenkirks 14 goals and 44 points were more than Bogosian and Franson combined.  His 17 PP goals over the last three seasons makes him the QB the Sabres need. At 27, he is hitting his stride.

Sign RFA Mike Hoffman:  Reach?  Sure.  But TM knows him too well, and was a name thrown around in trade rumors when he was first hired.  Ottawa has cap space, but their blue line is a mess.  Their best defenseman Erik Karlsson is ranked a horrific 26th overall on the power play, and their most important piece to keep is blue-liner Codi Ceci, who also is an RFA.  Many expect the Sens to go heavy on D in FA.  Hoffman plays both C & LW.  Averaged 28 goals and 25 assists last two seasons, including a team leading 9 pp goals last year for Senators.  At $6.5 million AAV, the Sabres would be giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to sign Hoffman.  Half the price of Stamkos for a 26 year old potential 30 goal/70 point player hitting his prime, I still believe that's great value for a team that will expect to be drafting in the 20's next year.  With a glutton of young untapped potential still on the roster for the Sabres, it wouldn't surprise me if they try and swing a trade for him first. 

Crazy?  Perhaps.  But I really see TM swinging for the fences this summer to take the final step in becoming a playoff caliber team, and convince Vesey this is where he needs to be. Regardless whether these moves are it or not, TM is going to do something.  Just a matter of what and when.

Edited by dejeanneret

Anybody have interest in Boedker now? I loved him before the deadline but soured on him quickly as the deadline approached. Pittsburgh's cup run with similar players in the lineup has me a little more interested if he becomes a bargain option.

It'd have to be a real bargain to get me to bite. $4M x4?I was super high on him, learned I was incorrect (I honestly thought he had a couple 60 point seasons banked...which is most assuredly not the case), and likewise soured. The only thing he brings is some scoring, and it's not that much scoring. Additionally, he's a flat-out awful even strength player, which is what we really need to improve.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.