Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

I'm sure Anaheim is doing its best to remind GM TM of that.

Yeah.

I am reluctant to surrender the 8th, but am gonna be pissed if MTL gets the guy for the 9th.

Anaheim I think is trying to leverage Montreal to get more but Murray should value Fowler at X and then not be willing to spend more than X+ maybe a touch more for him. 

Mortgaging the future by trading away top-10 picks is the exact thing that will place us in a perpetual rebuild. We may be great for the next 4-5 years, but what happens after that when we can't afford our players and the cupboards are bare? Blow it up again by trading off all our overpriced vets? We're going to need a steady stream of quality players.

Well, if we're great for 4-5 years, then the rebuild has in fact ended.

Honestly, if you were a Ducks a fan would you be satisfied w/ Ennis or Girgensons + Pysyk for Fowler? 

Good point. 

And Fowler was drafted 54th overall. 

It could absolutely take 4 years for the #8 pick to be as good as Fowler but he also has the very real potential to be better than Fowler. The question is, is Fowler worth giving up that and something else like Zemgus or Ennis? 

Fowler was drafted 12th overall. 

I'm sure Anaheim is doing its best to remind GM TM of that.

Yeah.

I am reluctant to surrender the 8th, but am gonna be pissed if MTL gets the guy for the 9th.

I don't doubt the Habs interest in Fowler, but part of their interest may be getting us to give up #8.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Good point. 

Fowler was drafted 12th overall. 

And? Fowler was drafted 12th overall but I don't understand the point. oooo I meant Duncan Keith, sorry for the typo

I don't doubt the Habs interest in Fowler, but part of their interest may be getting us to give up #8.

I don't think the Habs will trade #9 because they need it. That team is light as hell on depth and their prospect department is just eh. 

Edited by LGR4GM

And Fowler was drafted 54th overall. 

It could absolutely take 4 years for the #8 pick to be as good as Fowler but he also has the very real potential to be better than Fowler. The question is, is Fowler worth giving up that and something else like Zemgus or Ennis? 

What?  Fowler was drafted 12th overall......At the time people were surprised he lasted that long.....

Mortgaging the future by trading away top-10 picks is the exact thing that will place us in a perpetual rebuild. We may be great for the next 4-5 years, but what happens after that when we can't afford our players and the cupboards are bare? Blow it up again by trading off all our overpriced vets? We're going to need a steady stream of quality players.

Cam Fowler is 24 years old real NHL defenceman.

#8 overall is vaporware. 

Banking your future on one draft pick panning out is not smart. Better to have real players on the roster every time. 

I agree. I feel like if he was close to a deal and then Anaheim came back and said "hey montreal is giving us #9 so better up your offer" Murray would be grab his junk and flip them the bird and walk out. 

Great, and then we can sign Kris Russell, miss the playoffs, and everyone will complain that this year was supposed to be playoffs or bust :P

And? Fowler was drafted 12th overall but I don't understand the point. oooo I meant Duncan Keith, sorry for the typo

I don't think the Habs will trade #9 because they need it. That team is light as hell on depth and their prospect department is just eh. 

The post I quoted, you said he was drafted 54th

Edit - oh ok, keith you meant

What?  Fowler was drafted 12th overall......At the time people were surprised he lasted that long.....

yup. 

Edited by Thorny

If you could do so while wearing an O'Reilly jersey, that'd be swell.

I feel sort of badly for them -- those are not impressive digs from what I can see. Looks like a dog-eared conference room without a lot of modern amenities. Friend of mine has more second-tier FO guys (scouts, a couple analytic types) from an NHL club at his office's big conference room -- now that is a sweet-ass room.

Well, if we're great for 4-5 years, then the rebuild has in fact ended.

True. But there's going to come a time when we have a lot of great vets that are going to be clamoring for huge contracts. What happens then? We'll have the unload them and I hope we have decent replacements in our system to fill the void. If we don't, we'll be heading for another rebuild. We can't let this team get too top heavy.

Comparing someone like Keith to a player like Fowler is asinine.  Keith went a time prior to analytics being a key to the business at hand.  He also had a so-so college career especially in his final season.  He was developed properly and exceeded every step of the way.  Fowler is a quality player, but at the right cost.  To me that is a non-starter with #8 involved.  I get the semantics of winning now, but over extending yourself on semantics is where you get away from long term vision with nearsightedness.  Stay the coarse!

I haven't watched a ton of Fowler out west but from all the info I've gathered it sounds like he would be with Risto on our first pairing next season (unless we can pull off a blockbuster which I doubt we have the resources for).  In a couple of years when we're hopefully cup contenders we need this guy to be on our second pairing.  There's also the worry that his contract runs out in 2 years.  Therefore we would need him to re-up with us rather than going UFA.  Also, that's the year Sam and Jack will be due hefty raises. 

If Fowler had 4 years left on his deal I'm all in on giving up 8.  With only 2 years left I'm very hesitant.

Cam Fowler is 24 years old real NHL defenceman.

#8 overall is vaporware.

Banking your future on one draft pick panning out is not smart. Better to have real players on the roster every time.

We definitely don't know what we're getting with #8, but I trust GMTM will pick the right one. What's even more vaporware is a pick in 20-30 range, which I hope where we'll be drafting for the foreseeable future. #8 is a unique situation I doubt we'll sniff for awhile.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.