Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Are you referring to me? Because if so, your reading comprehension has failed you. I said, and I quote, "Plenty of cities have a good night life."

There are also cities that now offer what used to be exclusive to NYC. And actually, some of them even have more character now. New York has been kind of sanitized and chained of late. All the foreign money has out-priced the riff-raff like me, and it's kinda Euro-douchey now.

Don't get me wrong, I lived there, I loved it, I still live close enough to it get the benefits of it, and if money was no object, I would have my 1000 acre piece of land to get away from people and I would have a condo in NYC when I wanted to be near people. I also won't pretend that you cant get that experience (or at least the piece that you want) from another city.

Edited by SwampD

There are also cities that now offer what used to be exclusive to NYC. And actually, some of them even have more character now. New York has been kind of sanitized and chained of late. All the foreign money has out-priced the riff-raff like me, and it's kinda Euro-douchey now.

Don't get me wrong, I lived there, I loved it, I still live close enough to it get the benefits of it, and if money was no object, I would have my 1000 acre piece of land to get away from people and I would have a condo in NYC when I wanted to be near people. I also won't pretend that you cant get that experience (or at least the piece that you want) from another city.

:censored:

WFAN tweeting his decision will likely come down to playing time

This is pretty strange. Teams are telling him things now, with regards to ice time, but he's played hockey his whole life. He knows that he'll have minutes cut within a week if he shows he hasn't earned them, and that's if teams follow through and give him _ _ : _ _ like they said they would in the first place. 

How much is the delay in signing Rasmus and Girgs related to Sabres waiting to find out what Vesey does ??

I would really hope that the delay has nothing to do with Vesey. We need those guys signed regardless. 

A. Nylander's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Vesey's, yeah?

Oh yeah.

What type of culture? Different races? Food? Concerts? Art museums? What?

If we're talking a "feel" or "vibe", then I agree. Cities like LA, Chicago, DC have a different feel to them you could never find anywhere else.

and where else can you find Mighty Taco, Jim's, Ted's, Duff's, Gabriel's Gate, and a coterie of other superb Bflo food?

I live in DC, so am a passive observer in this. But, you have my interest. What exactly can you find in NYC you can't find anywhere else? Are we talking people, architecture, climate, food, geography, drugs, healthcare, beer, fetishes, flights? Just point me in a general direction.

I lived in DC, and spent a lot of time in NYC. You can have them both. IMO, nothing beats BUFFALO.

Update from a Bruin reporter, but I guess that's better than a nameless Twitter account

http://www.csnne.com/video/haggerty-bruins-meeting-jimmy-vesey

Thanks dudacek.

For the lazy: 

Bruins have a shot

Comes down to him being in his hometown; that's really all they have

Double edged sword for hometown?

Suggested Julien does not want young players on Boston pp

Neely, Sweeny, Julien, Jacobs pitched

Krecji will be his linemate

Believe him to be a 20-25 goal scorer

Comes down to pressure from hometown

Thanks dudacek.

For the lazy: 

Bruins have a shot

Comes down to him being in his hometown; that's really all they have

Double edged sword for hometown?

Suggested Julien does not want young players on Boston pp

Neely, Sweeny, Julien, Jacobs pitched

Krecji will be his linemate

Believe him to be a 20-25 goal scorer

Comes down to pressure from hometown

And Haggerty believes New Jersey and Buffalo are the other two favorites.

Everything is awesome...stupid commercial cant get it outta my head now and it come to mind when I think about this. I wonder if Detroit's pitch included the fact they went out and signed Vanek in the off season. Or Otter.

I honestly have no idea what NJ could possibly offer him that others haven't

My guess would be a bigger opportunity for a huge second contract, all things going well, since it'll be him and about two other guys who know which end of the stick to hold up front. At least from the looks of things now.

My guess would be a bigger opportunity for a huge second contract, all things going well, since it'll be him and about two other guys who know which end of the stick to hold up front. At least from the looks of things now.

You would think Chicago would have offered him the best chance at this, no?

I think the implication was a chance to be somewhat under the radar, same as Buffalo - not so much the case in TO, or NY, and certainly not Boston.

Good point

...but yet we are still hearing their name. Seems a little too ubiquitous.

Very true. There has to be something appealing to them we're not getting; maybe dudacek has it

I live in DC, so am a passive observer in this. But, you have my interest. What exactly can you find in NYC you can't find anywhere else? Are we talking people, architecture, climate, food, geography, drugs, healthcare, beer, fetishes, flights? Just point me in a general direction.

NYC has:

- the best food in the world, and it's not even close.

- the best professional opportunities in the world in just about every profession other than manufacturing and farming.

- the best nightlife in the world.

- the best theater in the world (if you're into that sort of thing).

- the best art, literature, architecture and public transit in the US.

- the most international residents in the US across multiple professions and nations of origin.

The above qualities are all more or less objective.

Here's a subjective one:  NYC also has the most interesting, funny, accomplished and ambitious people in the world.

There are a million hassles associated with living in NYC, and it's certainly not for everyone.  But pretending that it's just like any other big city is just that -- pretending. 

I just looked because I thought it might have been me but I couldn't find it. Would be nice if people would use proper board etiquette and quote whoever they are referring to but I digress.

He did you hoser.

Take it easy fellas. I was referring to CT Fab, who sounds like he had a traumatic experience there. 

Like I said not for people who don't like cities. Absolutely. But I don't think you'll find a more international metro with such unique density, allowing for limitless cuisine, art, comedy, or any other cultural pleasure all within a city block. Not to mention a one-of-a-kind (at least in US) transit system, beautiful early century architecture from brownstones to bridges, iconic Olmsted parks, underrated beaches within a short drive, etc etc etc.  As an urban planner and a resident of NYC, San Fran and now LA (among others), I can say this is a general consensus among those interested in American cities. 

Beat me to it.

It's the "or at least the piece you want" that is critical here.  I agree that you can find some measure of most (not all) of one or 2 of NYC's qualities in other cities.  DC has great museums; Boston and Savannah have great architecture; New Orleans and Miami have great food (with limits on the types of excellent cuisine); LA has beautiful people; Chicago has a great lake front, etc. etc.  But no other city comes close to combining all of NYC's qualities.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.