Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

I believe you and True had some pretty hard man crushes on Kopitar. You don't think he's a top 10 player? IIRC you placed him in the top 5 forwards

I do have a man-crush on him, and I probably did that at some point, but he's not there right now. He's definitely close to top 10, but off the top of my head I have Crosby/Malkin/Tavares/Kane/Benn/Doughty/Karlsson/Price/Bergeron ahead of him, and that's with barely even thinking about it

He's in the 10-20 range though for me right now.

I do have a man-crush on him, and I probably did that at some point, but he's not there right now. He's definitely close to top 10, but off the top of my head I have Crosby/Malkin/Tavares/Kane/Benn/Doughty/Karlsson/Price/Bergeron ahead of him, and that's with barely even thinking about it

He's in the 10-20 range though for me right now.

WHAT!?!?!?! No Connor McJesus? He's the greatest thing since moving pictures! 

lol, in all seriousness though probably beginning this year McDavid will be in that top 10 list.

I think Kopitar is right on par with Bergeron.

I think he's the closest to Patrice but I think Patrice is in a tier of his own.

Both are a fair bit better than that other defensive center, though.

WHAT!?!?!?! No Connor McJesus? He's the greatest thing since moving pictures!

lol, in all seriousness though probably beginning this year McDavid will be in that top 10 list.

Agreed, if he stays healthy he could contend for the Art Ross.

My reasoning for having Bergeron in his own tier:

Kopitar has always scored more, can't deny that. He's averaged 72 points per 82 games over the last five years, and Bergeron has averaged 63. This past season, though, at even strength, Bergeron averaged 2.19 points per 60 minutes, and Kopitar averaged 2.12 points per 60 minutes. Kopitar's power play stats have regularly shredded Bergeron's, but Boston fans have told me that Patrice is getting better on the PP, and this past season he actually did out-produce Kopitar with the man advantage. At the same time, in the last three seasons, Bergeron's CF% and FF% have been sliiiightly better than Kopitar's, while his offensive zone starting percentage is 6-9% less than Kopitar's any given year.

Bergeron is a possession monster, and the slight dip in points because of that isn't enough for me to think Kopitar is a better player based on point totals, especially because Kopitar's fairly high offensive zone start % is always one of the lowest on his team, indicating that his team is better at possession in general. Of course, his play is a huge part of that, but he's being slightly buoyed by his system where I get the impression that Bergeron takes his team on his back and drags them down the ice to score.

Both are better than Toews or Kesler or Getzlaf or other players who play similar styles. (Getzlaf comparison might be off) But give me Bergeron for this coming season.

Me too. And clearly better than Malkin at this point.

Injury-plagued Malkin, yeah. Tough to see him putting together a healthy season again. If he did, I think he'd still be flirting with best-in-the-world status. He blew my mind in 11-12. But we can switch him with Ovie or something in my list haha

Edited by Randall Flagg

I buzzed through it a bit - will read it later in its entirety. He's got a good story to tell. All jokes aside (and, yes, there are many): I admire the hell out of that guy for getting as much out of his hockey career as he has. 

Also, I'll never forget this goal. I really won't:

Ugh. I can't stand that goal. He doesn't even look where it's going.

FFS, man.

Did you likewise hate Luke's shot that destroyed the Death Star in Episode IV? 

Not that it matters all that much to me, but Gerbe had said that he'd been practicing that shot all season.

I think Gerbe knows that he's picking a corner, there.

Yep...and I know just where that G-spot is.

FFS, man.

Did you likewise hate Luke's shot that destroyed the Death Star in Episode IV?

Not that it matters all that much to me, but Gerbe had said that he'd been practicing that shot all season.

Lots of fans jumped on the 5'4" bandwagon as if he was Dino Cicarelli. I just thought he was too much hype not enough substance. When you are nearly a foot shorter than your peers, you game better be hella good to overcome your ehem.... shortcomings.

Ugh. I can't stand that goal. He doesn't even look where it's going.

Most players aren't picking the perfect spot when the score.  They know where the net is and they have an understanding of where the shot should get to barring interference.  The impressive part of the goal is not that it goes in it's that he has the creativity and the mental prowess to choose that move at that moment with an understanding that it will generate a quality shot on net.

How do you hate on that goal?  

I presume all the no-look passes in the NHL also disgust you?

Confused.

Lots of fans jumped on the 5'4" bandwagon as if he was Dino Cicarelli. I just thought he was too much hype not enough substance. When you are nearly a foot shorter than your peers, you game better be hella good to overcome your ehem.... shortcomings.

I'm about a million levels below Gerbe, but I have a sense of where my shot is going to go when I"m not looking at the net, I really do think that he'd make that shot consistently. 

I was very sick of Gerbe by the end of his tenure here too, though. 

So you blame the player for the hype?  What kind of nonsense is that?  How is the player responsible for the hype people generate about him?

Hate the fans...

I was on the Gerbe Is St Louis 2.0 train hard. So?

So you blame the player for the hype? What kind of nonsense is that? How is the player responsible for the hype people generate about him?

Hate the fans...

Oh I did but the source of their jubilation couldn't escape my large swath of hate.

I was on the Gerbe Is St Louis 2.0 train hard. So?

You root for who you root for, I chose not to.