Caggiula and Vesey prediction

PotentPowerPlay22

Players of the ilk of Stamkos rarely become free agents - so you'll have to color yourself disappointed then.  You do realize he and Okposo are upcoming free agents and free agency hasn't begun yet?  So we never get anything good because we haven't signed players who can't be signed yet? 

Did you expect our FO to sign the Yandle type player during the tank?  Did you expect one to want to come here during the tank? 

I'm not sure you understand what's going on.

Inkman made a good point. Name an elite free agent(s) the Sabres have been able to sign. Think of time before the tank. Man, go all the way back to 1970. Buffalo has had to pay more for a player than the big market teams. Until the Sabres land a free agent at Stamkos level, I'll be in complete agreement w/ Inkman. The Sabres don't get good things. 

I'm pretty sure Stankos will use us as a bargaining chip with Toronto. He's from Toronto, but wouldn't want to play there? And what better team is out there that is able to and would overpay for him than ours? Pretty much the same thing happened with Babcock.

I'm pretty sure Stankos will use us as a bargaining chip with Toronto. He's from Toronto, but wouldn't want to play there? And what better team is out there that is able to and would overpay for him than ours? Pretty much the same thing happened with Babcock.

I really wonder if Buffalo or Toronto would overpay. I'm sure they are among the teams that would go the highest, but it does seem like Murray and Shanahan (sigh) know what they are doing.

As for Stamkos pitting teams against eachother, he most certainly will. I think most probably do in Free Agency, if they can.

I'd rank Okposo, Yandle and Goligoski all above Vesey.

I'd take Vessey over Okposo. The soon to be former Islander is wanting an expensive, long term deal. Plus, you gotta factor in the potential Vessey has. It's not like Okposo is amongst elite. He's a top 2 line player. Had a productive season w/ 64 points, but not worth the time and money. Especially when Eichel, Reinhart, etc.... need to be re-signed. 

Yandle is the d-man I'm hoping Murray can bring to Buffalo. 

Edited by GoPre

I'd take Vessey over Okposo. The soon to be former Islander is wanting an expensive, long term deal. Plus, you gotta factor in the potential Vessey has. It's not like Okposo is amongst elite. He's a top 2 line player. Had a productive season w/ 64 points, but not worth the time and money. Especially when Eichel, Reinhart, etc.... need to be re-signed. 

Yandle is the d-man I'm hoping Murray can bring to Buffalo.

IF Vesey reaches his potential, he's a top 2 line player. Okposo had already established himself as such. Does Vesey ever get to 64 points in a season? Maybe, probably not. Obviously it depends how much Okposo wants, but straight up he's more valuable than Vesey.

Vesey is a good talent but his reputation exceeds it.

Is Okposo Moulson 2.0?

Get him away from Tavares and watch the numbers drop.

Two completely different players and styles, though.

Inkman made a good point. Name an elite free agent(s) the Sabres have been able to sign. Think of time before the tank. Man, go all the way back to 1970. Buffalo has had to pay more for a player than the big market teams. Until the Sabres land a free agent at Stamkos level, I'll be in complete agreement w/ Inkman. The Sabres don't get good things. 

Of course I understand that's how it's been, but do you not think those days are coming to an end?  He's saying we haven't and won't.  It's the won't part I don't buy into.  Our owners willingness to spend, aggressiveness of our GM,  our facilities, the team we're building should change the way FA's feel about coming here.

This is pretty obnoxious.

I tried to make my point but don't think I was being offensive or unpleasant. 

Of course I understand that's how it's been, but do you not think those days are coming to an end? He's saying we haven't and won't. It's the won't part I don't buy into. Our owners willingness to spend, aggressiveness of our GM, our facilities, the team we're building should change the way FA's feel about coming here.

I tried to make my point but don't think I was being offensive or unpleasant.

He didn't say we won't. To help explain it better here's a post from TrueBlue backing Inkman's point.

"Past performance (or...well...lack thereof) does not guarantee future results"

It's a simple believe it when I see it. And I do hope to see it. What Pegula has already done is good indicator it will happen. But there's no guarantee. We are Buffalo fans. Getting is certainly not norm for the Sabres and Bills. You should know this.

There are 30 teams in the league. Any time a player comes on the market most of them are going to be disappointed.

In the Pegula era, the Sabres have won the Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino sweepstakes, the Evander Kane and Ryan O'Reilly auctions and the Sam Reinhart and Jack Eichel turtle derbies.

You can argue that many of those guys aren't the prizes they were made out to be, but how many are?

WE NEVER GET ANYONE! Is patently false

There are 30 teams in the league. Any time a player comes on the market most of them are going to be disappointed.

In the Pegula era, the Sabres have won the Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino sweepstakes, the Evander Kane and Ryan O'Reilly auctions and the Sam Reinhart and Jack Eichel turtle derbies.

You can argue that many of those guys aren't the prizes they were made out to be, but how many are?

Talking elite level free agents. Not the wine and dine trading or draft picks.

And technically Leino was the only high rated free agent the Sabres have been able to sign.

So yes, we have not signed "ANYONE!"

Edited by GoPre

Talking elite level free agents. Not the wine and dine trading or draft picks.

And technically Leino was the only high rated free agent the Sabres have been able to sign.

So yes, we have not signed "ANYONE!"

So given the clear change since Pegula - you think it's still appropriate to bathe in the past?  What purpose does that serve when things are heading in an obvious different direction?  Is the purpose just to say it for a wait and see attitude to be perpetuated? 

So given the clear change since Pegula - you think it's still appropriate to bathe in the past? What purpose does that serve when things are heading in an obvious different direction? Is the purpose just to say it for a wait and see attitude to be perpetuated?

Read a previous post. That'll answer your question.

This is pretty obnoxious.

It's pretty spot on though. It's not as if I spend countless hours on this site anticipating tram moves or listen to Buffalo and Rochester sports talk radio 6-12hours a day or inundate my self with everyything Buffalo sports every minute of my life. It's not like I have 20,000 posts that would Indicate my level of knowledge of local sports. I can understand why someone would address me in this fashion.

Who prefers okposo for 6.5-7m per vs. Vesey at 950k? Really?

I prefer the one that is going to make the better winger for Eichel. And I dont give a rats ass what his contract looks like. That's for TM to sweat.

And besides, why does it have to be one or the other? One for now, and the other for later.

This is accurate. And why I don't get my hopes up for big free agents. Every once in a while we will get them, but the odds are always very against it. Just by the sheer amount of suitors.

Who prefers okposo for 6.5-7m per vs. Vesey at 950k? Really?

I prefer Okposo because he'll be the better player. We've is right, Murray can sweat the details. If we can't afford Okposo, he won't sign him.

Vesey is becoming a concept before we have even acquired him.

I prefer the one that is going to make the better winger for Eichel. And I dont give a rats ass what his contract looks like. That's for TM to sweat.

And besides, why does it have to be one or the other? One for now, and the other for later.

I'd imagine playing time and linemate opportunity is going to be one of the things Vesey is looking for. If he's got no realistic shot at a top-6 role, doubt he comes.

It's pretty spot on though. It's not as if I spend countless hours on this site anticipating tram moves or listen to Buffalo and Rochester sports talk radio 6-12hours a day or inundate my self with everyything Buffalo sports every minute of my life. It's not like I have 20,000 posts that would Indicate my level of knowledge of local sports. I can understand why someone would address me in this fashion.

It wasn't as if you gave a stat that can't be disputed.  You gave your opinion and I gave mine.  Isn't that kind of what the site is about? 

I'm not sure why more posts makes you more qualified to talk about the team we both love - but I understand how defensive those with a lot of posts get on what they perceive as their territory.   I have more posts than you on TBD - does that mean I know more about the Bills?

Edited by 7+6=13

It wasn't as if you gave a stat that can't be disputed. You gave your opinion and I gave mine. Isn't that kind of what the site is about?

I'm not sure why more posts makes you more qualified to talk about the team we both love - but I understand how defensive those with a lot of posts get on what they perceive as their territory. I have more posts than you on TBD - does that mean I know more about the Bills?

This isn't about who knows more. It's about common sense. Placating me with nonsense about when free agency starts is either you being obtuse, disingenuous or just obnoxious.

My stance in this thread has been a bit tongue in cheek but my opinion is founded in reality. GMTM has brought us some nice players in Bogo, Kane and O'Reilly. I have confidence he'll do more of the same this offseason. I just don't think many will come via free agency.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.