Today in Sabres History

Eleven

Best game I've ever watching in my life.  Can't believe it's been 10 years already....

Still remember driving up to Ottawa with a buddy for Game 2 of that series and unfortunately watching Tim Connoly's career basically end.  I was yelling sweep like the drunken fool I was outside the arena after the win.....

Thought the post was going to be about the Sabres charging admission to the draft for the 1st time that they've hosted it. Yea, progress.

<_<

Nope, this one is a happy thread.  If someone wants to start a thread about that, it's worth discussing.

It was the best sporting event I have ever watched on TV. So much fun. I was hanging with a great group of guys. We were living and dying with that thing.

... Man.

Also. If there is one face in the world that I could punch, it would be Smolinski's after he scores that 6th Ott'wa goal.

Unforgettable, and probably the best Sabres game ever -- until we get a Cup-clincher.

Connolly was really something that year.  After years of underachieving and disappointing fans (who were disinclined to like him since he was the primary return for Peca), plus missing the entire pre-lockout season with a concussion, no one expected anything from him -- including Lindy.  Then he showed up in camp with a shaved head and a ripped physique, and played a beautiful game all year.  Anyone who's interested should look for TC highlights on youtube -- he was a great skater and had more moves than any Sabre since #11.

7-6 was Connolly's last game (and what a game he had!) before getting concussed again at the beginning of game 2 of that series.  He missed most of the following season and was never the same after returning.

Neither were the Sabres.

Unforgettable, and probably the best Sabres game ever -- until we get a Cup-clincher.

Connolly was really something that year.  After years of underachieving and disappointing fans (who were disinclined to like him since he was the primary return for Peca), plus missing the entire pre-lockout season with a concussion, no one expected anything from him -- including Lindy.  Then he showed up in camp with a shaved head and a ripped physique, and played a beautiful game all year.  Anyone who's interested should look for TC highlights on youtube -- he was a great skater and had more moves than any Sabre since #11.

7-6 was Connolly's last game (and what a game he had!) before getting concussed again at the beginning of game 2 of that series.  He missed most of the following season and was never the same after returning.

Neither were the Sabres.

True, but Tallinder's broken wing was more devastating IMHO.

Imagine what the Sabres could've been barring those 2 injuries. :(

It was the best sporting event I have ever watched on TV. So much fun. I was hanging with a great group of guys. We were living and dying with that thing.

... Man.

Also. If there is one face in the world that I could punch, it would be Smolinski's after he scores that 6th Ott'wa goal.

Yeah, what a jerk!

A decade .... awesome game and post.

I remember Volchenkov (edit) losing the puck in water after the resurfacing before OT. Connolly was awesome. Roy looked good, as well.

Edited by N'eo

Probably my favourite Sabres game I've watched on tv, but there are a few from that playoffs right up there.

The two things I remember most are, one, getting really angry to the point of almost throwing something after Smolinski scored the go ahead goal, but all of a sudden immediately feeling strangely calm and putting the object down.

The other: when the Ottawa Dman bobbled that puck and Grier picked it up and fed it to Drury, I knew he was going to score.

Amazing game. Get chills watching the highlights.

...and you give us the Ottawa feed? Good lord, man! Here:

The CBC feed has one significant advantage.  Total silence in the building, except for 20 screaming Sabres piling on top of one another.

... Man.

Can't help but jump out of the video! Someone made that their avatar on here I remember, lol 

watching and listening to RJ again. i had lost sight of the fact that "scary good" (which i never liked, at all) and "do you believe?!" (which i did/do like) were featured earlier in the series than pominville's winner in game 5.

They were scary good in 2006 but in that Ottawa game, Miller let in 6. And in the end vs. Carolina, they weren't so scary good. So yeah, maybe because of the long gap between Buffalo hockey championships (1969 anyone?) RJ has begged the question with his

catchphrases, hoping they could help but ultimately falling short because of lack of quality on the ice.

They were scary good in 2006 but in that Ottawa game, Miller let in 6. And in the end vs. Carolina, they weren't so scary good. So yeah, maybe because of the long gap between Buffalo hockey championships (1969 anyone?) RJ has begged the question with his

catchphrases, hoping they could help but ultimately falling short because of lack of quality on the ice.

In the end vs. Carolina, it was a vastly different "they."

...and you give us the Ottawa feed? Good lord, man! Here:

Two notes I hadn't thought about before:

- Roy to have what, 4 points that night? (I'm not sure if he got an assist on the 10.7 seconds left goal.

- The two Sabres goals to end the game were only 30 seconds apart in playing time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.