Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Honest question:  How often has the premier free agent, who comes along only so often, won the Cup with the team that signs him? (Not counting being re-signed by original team.)  Certainly, NYR's efforts have failed for over two decades.  I'm having trouble coming up with a team that spent huge on a UFA and then won. Didn't work for the Devils.  Didn't work for the Red Wings (Green).  Didn't work for the Phlyers.  Etc.

Honest question:  How often has the premier free agent, who comes along only so often, won the Cup with the team that signs him? (Not counting being re-signed by original team.)  Certainly, NYR's efforts have failed for over two decades.  I'm having trouble coming up with a team that spent huge on a UFA and then won. Didn't work for the Devils.  Didn't work for the Red Wings (Green).  Didn't work for the Phlyers.  Etc.

I can't think of anyone in the Modern Era (2005 to now). I remember Brad Richards and how great he was... then he shat the bed

I can't think of anyone in the Modern Era (2005 to now). I remember Brad Richards and how great he was... then he shat the bed

So now there are two reasons I'm wary.  The above, and the fact that he's missed significant time two out of the last three reasons.

I really don't think I want the Sabres blowing $10M+ on him.  I think I'm there now.

Legitimate question....most athletes seem to have a big letdown once they secure their big, final contract....maybe not consciously but it happens often

Hossa?

Marian Hossa

I was thinking Hossa and Chara are the only two who were big name UFA's that left the teams and then went on to win elsewhere. 

Beat me to it. 

I'd also include Niedermayer (and maybe Pronger, who was traded in an auction, not a UFA, but there are still similarities in the situations)

Can we list the top UFA's for the past decade? I don't remember all of them but it never does seem to work as well as it should. That said, Stamkos is the best player to his UFA in the modern era.

I can at least get it started:

2015--Brad Richards, Mike Green

2014--Brad Richards, Jarome Iginla

2013--Daniel Alfredsson, Mark Mancari

2012--Jaromir Jagr?  Not a big year.

I was thinking Hossa and Chara are the only two who were big name UFA's that left the teams and then went on to win elsewhere. 

So let's look at these two, 'cause I think you're right.

Hossa was a cog in a large machine.  He fit around the core and not the other way 'round.

Chara legitimately became the centerpiece of the Boston Bruins, but it still took 5 years to build the team around him.

Though it would be instant gratification if the Sabres signed Stamkos but I'm in the camp where I hope the Sabres are just driving up the price to $12 million territory for the Leafs.

Leafs would then put them well over the cap, not sure how this would effect the bonus's they would be able to offer Vesey

In 2 years how much worse is:

Vesey     Eichel    Reinhart

Kane      O'Reilly  Nylander

compared to 

Nylander Eichel  Reinhart

Kane   Stamkos  O'Reilly

and is it $10 million better?

Money you could use to build one of the top 3rd lines in the NHL or a legit #2 D man to play next to Risto.

Thoughts?

So now there are two reasons I'm wary.  The above, and the fact that he's missed significant time two out of the last three reasons.

I really don't think I want the Sabres blowing $10M+ on him.  I think I'm there now.

Pre-buyers-remourse.

Hey, if I could get Stamkos for 80% of his market value like Chicago did with Hossa, I'd be leading the charge to do so :)

And that's a good point, too.  Hossa took less than his worth because he saw an immediate winning situation.

Though it would be instant gratification if the Sabres signed Stamkos but I'm in the camp where I hope the Sabres are just driving up the price to $12 million territory for the Leafs.

Leafs would then put them well over the cap, not sure how this would effect the bonus's they would be able to offer Vesey

compared to 

Kane   Stamkos  O'Reilly

Money you could use to build one of the top 3rd lines in the NHL or a legit #2 D man to play next to Risto.

Thoughts?

I'm right there with you.

compared to 

Kane   Stamkos  O'Reilly

Thoughts?

Sabres aren't driving up the price. They are negotiating and will make an offer. Stamkos either accepts, declines, or counters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.