Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

It's a self-contained system basically. As pi said you can have stars without role players but those stars probably can't win cups without at least effective role players. I'm not arguing against role players as much as I'm just saying I think this finals shows why you need star players to perform moreso than role players.

It's a self-contained system basically. As pi said you can have stars without role players but those stars probably can't win cups without at least effective role players. I'm not arguing against role players as much as I'm just saying I think this finals shows why you need star players to perform moreso than role players.

And the HBK line probably isn't getting the favourable match ups it is, without Sid and Geno drawing the tough ones away.

What is the bare minimum number of star players everyone thinks is necessary to win a Cup? Briefly reviewing recent history, I'd go with four: 3 forwards and 1 Dman. I'm not talking core pieces, as I think core pieces don't have to be stars (Hjalmarsson, for example), and I'm not going to argue that more is worse or anything...just trying to get a handle on a minimum baseline.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith are unquestionable. Include Seabrook and Sharp? I'd say probably. Not surprising that this generation's dynasty has more than the bare minimum.

LA: Kopitar, Carter, Doughty for sure. Gaborik in 2014, I think. Richards and Brown in 2012, but not 2014. So 4-5, depending on year. Williams was a star in the playoffs, but would anyone really consider him a star player? He's a Corsi star, anyway ;)

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron, Chara absolutely. Marchand/Lucic?

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar. Letang wasn't a star yet (though he'll certainly be on the list this year if they close it out), Guerin was a star in name only (though still very effective). Struggling to come up with more than those top three, but Crosby and Malkin probably counted as 1.5 each at that point :lol:

Detroit: Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk...Kronwall? Curious how people would classify Kronwall and Franzen. Core but not stars, IMO, though I'm open to persuasion.

Anaheim: Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Getzlaf. Perry was great in the playoffs, but not yet a star (44 points in the regular season). 

Carolina: I refuse to look at that roster. F 'em.

What forwards can we safely pencil in as stars on our eventual Cup team? Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly? If you think only 1-2 of them fits the bill (or you disagree with my breakdown and think some players I had as core-but-not-star are in fact stars), chasing Stamkos for top dollar makes a ton of sense. If you think all 3 are stars, I think the picture gets more muddied, and further jumbled if you're not sold on Risto as a star on a Cup team. What if Risto is more Seabrook than Keith or Doughty? Does that affect your willingness to pony up for Stammer?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

What is the bare minimum number of star players everyone thinks is necessary to win a Cup? Briefly reviewing recent history, I'd go with four: 3 forwards and 1 Dman. I'm not talking core pieces, as I think core pieces don't have to be stars (Hjalmarsson, for example), and I'm not going to argue that more is worse or anything...just trying to get a handle on a minimum baseline.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith are unquestionable. Include Seabrook and Sharp? I'd say probably. Not surprising that this generation's dynasty has more than the bare minimum.

LA: Kopitar, Carter, Doughty for sure. Gaborik in 2014, I think. Richards and Brown in 2012, but not 2014. So 4-5, depending on year. Williams was a star in the playoffs, but would anyone really consider him a star player? He's a Corsi star, anyway ;)

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron, Chara absolutely. Marchand/Lucic?

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar. Letang wasn't a star yet (though he'll certainly be on the list this year if they close it out), Guerin was a star in name only (though still very effective). Struggling to come up with more than those top three, but Crosby and Malkin probably counted as 1.5 each at that point :lol:

Detroit: Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk...Kronwall? Curious how people would classify Kronwall and Franzen. Core but not stars, IMO, though I'm open to persuasion.

Anaheim: Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Getzlaf. Perry was great in the playoffs, but not yet a star (44 points in the regular season). 

Carolina: I refuse to look at that roster. F 'em.

What forwards can we safely pencil in as stars on our eventual Cup team? Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly? If you think only 1-2 of them fits the bill (or you disagree with my breakdown and think some players I had as core-but-not-star are in fact stars), chasing Stamkos for top dollar makes a ton of sense. If you think all 3 are stars, I think the picture gets more muddied, and further jumbled if you're not sold on Risto as a star on a Cup team. What if Risto is more Seabrook than Keith or Doughty? Does that affect your willingness to pony up for Stammer?

Bare minimum of stars? Until we find out how '99 ends and we see if a team can get away w/ only 1, I'd say 3 but you'll need at least 4 and probably 5-7 core contributors.

Sabres appear to be on track towards that 4 player (minimum) core and at least 2 (Eichel & ROR) will almost definitely be stars & I'd expect the other 2 to have better than even chances of being stars as well. Add Lehner, this year's top pick, & at least 1 more guy either in pipeline or obtainable via trade as potential core as well & the future looks bright.

So, have we come to a conclusion?

Yes.  If Stamkos was already a Sabre and he was heading to free agency we should resign him to a long term contract even though we had 2 rookies play well and ROR. 

Yes.  If Stamkos was already a Sabre and he was heading to free agency we should resign him to a long term contract even though we had 2 rookies play well and ROR. 

This is a really interesting thought, and I think you're right, many more of us would be clamoring to resign him

Here's Friedman's thoughts on the Stamkos developments.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-hedman-contract-number-may-be-key-lightning-domino/

This is a really interesting thought, and I think you're right, many more of us would be clamoring to resign him

Here's Friedman's thoughts on the Stamkos developments.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-hedman-contract-number-may-be-key-lightning-domino/

So at the end of that article you're left to wonder if we and everybody else want Tampa's leftovers. Seconds if you will.

So at the end of that article you're left to wonder if we and everybody else want Tampa's leftovers. Seconds if you will.

I don't get the impression that Stamkos is that. I get the impression that they wish they could move other guys and ensure Stamkos' return.

I don't get the impression that Stamkos is that. I get the impression that they wish they could move other guys and ensure Stamkos' return.

I was referring to everyone but Stamkos that they may have to let go lol There's a lot of fallout if they do sign him.

I was referring to everyone but Stamkos that they may have to let go lol There's a lot of fallout if they do sign him.

Agreed, and I think Killorn, Bishop and Filppula would be the ones they try to move first (I don't think there'd be a ton of action of Valteri, though).

That's alright, Damien Cox retweeted it without comment, waited awhile, and casually mentioned it's five years old. Given his recent Twitter indiscretion, I'd say he needs to put the phone away for awhile. Unless the whole thing was a super meta joke / self-parody, in which case well-played.

I doubt highly it's the second thing though.

That's alright, Damien Cox retweeted it without comment, waited awhile, and casually mentioned it's five years old. Given his recent Twitter indiscretion, I'd say he needs to put the phone away for awhile. Unless the whole thing was a super meta joke / self-parody, in which case well-played.

I doubt highly it's the second thing though.

You're probably right, he's not that clever. 

I knew something didn't seem right when I saw it was a 5 year deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.