Trade Deadline 2016

Eleven

I don't understand why deadline day is a holiday to some people, especially Sabres fans or people interested in teams without any chance of making the playoffs.

typically, for Sabres and Buffalo sports fans in General, trade deadline day and start of free agency most years were like a welfare Christmas. Everyone else ran around showing off all their new toys while we sat back listening to our parents tell us how wonderful and great and lucky we ate for getting new socks and underwear

I'm a hockey fan. i enjoy the moves other teams make. Also it is a day, historically, where things happen - e.g. Kassian for Hodgson. So being out the playoffs is not a guarantee nothing happens. Finally, for every buyer there must be a seller, even when bad it is fun to see what pieces your team get for the future

That's fair...to each his own. Cheers.

How I long for the excitement of a Kassian for Hodgson deal, straight up. The future was so bright then.

typically, for Sabres and Buffalo sports fans in General, trade deadline day and start of free agency most years were like a welfare Christmas. Everyone else ran around showing off all their new toys while we sat back listening to our parents tell us how wonderful and great and lucky we ate for getting new socks and underwear

Only since 2011 or so.

here are the conditions on the McGinn deal:

The third-round pick becomes a second-rounder if the Ducks win two playoff rounds. If it's a third-round pick, it will be in 2016. If it is escalated to a second-round pick, that selection will be made in 2017.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker

The third-round pick becomes a second-rounder if the Ducks win two playoff rounds. If it's a third-round pick, it will be in 2016. If it is escalated to a second-round pick, that selection will be made in 2017.

He also has to play 50% of the playoff games...

that last part is manipulable by the Ducks.  I don't like like those type of conditions.

I'm sure Murray knew that and agreed to the conditions with the ###### sorted out.

on WGR Murray is saying he was "not close" & "not disappointed" re: dealing the other UFAs...sounds like there was little to no interest in Johnson or Legwand. *cue foghorn*

Edited by mustacheofgod

Lots of chatter on Twitter about how the new lottery system dampened trade activity.

Is true?

I don't think so--it was the real contenders really loading up. I think what might be more of a factor is teams could be getting smarter. I know there's all kinds of analytics snark on both sides, but that Douglas Murray types no longer garner two 2nds I think can be directly attributable to the increasingly widespread adoption of statistical analysis.

Per @Real_ESPNLeBrun and @frank_seravalli, Patrick Maroon to EDM for prospect and mid-round pick.

So Anaheim swaps McGinn for Maroon and gets back assets?  Nice work.

Sutter to LA for prospect.  didn't see this one posted or I missed it.

Per GR he still can be traded anytime, he is not eligible for the playoffs however. How true this actually is, I'm not sure

I believe that's correct.  Of course, whomever Tampa receives in return wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs, either.

GM Tim Murray has proved he can trade former 1st round draft picks, future 1st round draft picks and other prospects for players, but he hasn't made a believer out of me. It can be argued that almost all of his other deals he received less than he gained.

I'm still waiting for his reputation as a scouting "genius" to show itself in real terms. 

GM Tim Murray has proved he can trade former 1st round draft picks, future 1st round draft picks and other prospects for players, but he hasn't made a believer out of me. It can be argued that almost all of his other deals he received less than he gained.

I'm still waiting for his reputation as a scouting "genius" to show itself in real terms.

For all the concern over his overpaying for guys, he still has 21 picks in the next 2 drafts nearly 1/2 of which are in the top 3 rounds. And he has guys like Fasching & Guhle that aren't in the A yet.

Yes, the Amerks still stink. They will start getting better as the Sabres transition from a team that has their prospects on the big club.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.