Glen Frey is dead another giant passes

North Buffalo

I am crushed. This is a sad day. Happy that I went to rink to see him when the Eagles played their 8th last concert at the FNC in July. I will never forget it.

RIP Glenn Frey. 

Why couldn't have been Don Henley? He's a giant douche.

I saw Glenn at Fallsview with his own band and I had this feeling of Glenn that night. Happily the feeling didn't last and the show at the FNC was awesome and they all seemed to be really cool with each other.

Hotel California ... Hertel Avenue ... 1982/83.

It's a clear image you've painted!

Yeah.

With due respect to Eagles fans: Frey was a good songwriter, but he was an ever better businessman and brand promoter. He monetized the ever loving out of that band and that sound. A guy like Frey isn't in the same class as Bowie, though. Shoot. He's not even in the same class as Lemmy.

Frey wasn't exactly a giant. Important part of a legendary group? Sure. A giant? :/

I sort of feel the same way. The Eagles are "giant", and Frey put together some great lyrics with the band, but on his own, I really can't say there's anything that I really like of his.  Still 67 is too young for someone to pass on.

Edited by kishoph

I'm sure it happens all the time, but we've seen a very impressive run of deaths in the music world over the last month.  Lemmy, Natalie Cole, Bowie, and now this.  Expand the window a bit more and you can add Scott Weiland to the list.

I wonder if there isn't a bit of media amplification. If Glen Frey (who frankly, I didn't know his name before this) dies a week or three before the current run, does it get as much play as "the next in a string of celebrity deaths"? I don't think he does, (not to dismiss his talent).

I wonder if there isn't a bit of media amplification. If Glen Frey (who frankly, I didn't know his name before this) dies a week or three before the current run, does it get as much play as "the next in a string of celebrity deaths"? I don't think he does, (not to dismiss his talent).

Wow.Sure as hell to any music aficionado it matters. Not being a smart ass here by any means by maybe it's an age thing.

Wow.Sure as hell to any music aficionado it matters. Not being a smart ass here by any means by maybe it's an age thing.

There are a lot of music aficionados who take/took a fairly dim view of Frey and the Eagles.

Myself personally, I can't muster the energy to "hate" a band or artist whom I don't particularly like.

Could be, I was a kid in the 80s and not around for enough of the 70s to remember much. All the same, I don't think the Eagles currently have anywhere near the impact of Bowie or Alan Rickman on the general consciousnes; I somewhat stand by my point (not to offend anyone). It's not like it's Mick Box or Ron Bushy we're talking about here. :)

There are a lot of music aficionados who take/took a fairly dim view of Frey and the Eagles.

Myself personally, I can't muster the energy to "hate" a band or artist whom I don't particularly like.

Blasphemy!!

Could be, I was a kid in the 80s and not around for enough of the 70s to remember much. All the same, I don't think the Eagles currently have anywhere near the impact of Bowie or Alan Rickman on the general consciousnes; I somewhat stand by my point (not to offend anyone). It's not like it's Mick Box or Ron Bushy we're talking about here. :)

C'mon now. I was a teen in the 80's too. Ah, good times :w00t:

Which leads me to this, who the hell are Mike Sharpe, Mick Box or Ron Bushy?

I know the Eagles weren't for everyone but Glenn Frey and the Eagles have left a big impact in music. Of that there can be no debate.

Blasphemy!!

I know the Eagles weren't for everyone but Glenn Frey and the Eagles have left a big impact in music. Of that there can be no debate.

The WaPo does a decent job of surveying the landscape of hate and antipathy for The Eagles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/19/how-glenn-frey-and-the-eagles-outlasted-everyone-who-loved-to-hate-them/

Still. 10s of 1000s of people would routinely turn out to catch these guys play, and many more 100s of 1000s bought their records. As much as the pundits would hate to admit it: That means something. I'm not sure what, mind you. But it's something.

Edited by That Aud Smell

The WaPo does a decent job of surveying the landscape of hate and antipathy for The Eagles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/19/how-glenn-frey-and-the-eagles-outlasted-everyone-who-loved-to-hate-them/

Still. 10s of 1000s of people would routinely turn out to catch these guys play, and many more 100s of 1000s bought their records. As much as the pundits would hate to admit it: That means something. I'm not sure what, mind you. But it's something.

The band name is: Eagles... lowercase "t" on "the"...

Blasphemy!!

C'mon now. I was a teen in the 80's too. Ah, good times :w00t:

Which leads me to this, who the hell are Mike Sharpe, Mick Box or Ron Bushy?

I don't know who Mike Sharpe is either. Mick Box is the Guitarist for Uriah Heep and Ron Bushy is the drummer for Iron Butterfly (I had to look them up). I used them (somewhat joking) as examples of bands that were popular (Iron Butterfly has a platinum album and Uriah Heep had several albums in the top-50) but largely forgotten. I'm not saying the Eagles will be forgotten, BTW.

Another interesting one is JJ Cale. If you look at the people that cite him as an influence it's incredible that almost no one knows who he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ_Cale

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.