Glen Frey is dead another giant passes

North Buffalo

The Eagles Peaceful easy feeling came out when I was in 7th grade, Hotel Cali, Desparado and Take it easy are classics. Glen Frey was always a known name in my age group. Really don't get the hate, though I guess it means some jealousy over the popularity of their songs.

The Eagles Peaceful easy feeling came out when I was in 7th grade, Hotel Cali, Desparado and Take it easy are classics. Glen Frey was always a known name in my age group. Really don't get the hate, though I guess it means some jealousy over the popularity of their songs.

I never learned about this Eagles counter-culture until today, they were always just another band that I learned about from my mom.  The bolded sounds like a huge stretch, though.  Are these people competing musicians?

The WaPo does a decent job of surveying the landscape of hate and antipathy for The Eagles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/19/how-glenn-frey-and-the-eagles-outlasted-everyone-who-loved-to-hate-them/

Still. 10s of 1000s of people would routinely turn out to catch these guys play, and many more 100s of 1000s bought their records. As much as the pundits would hate to admit it: That means something. I'm not sure what, mind you. But it's something.

Interesting read but I'm stuck with one of the pithy comments.

"I'm not a fan of the Eagles, but I find that this article is disrespectful to the recently deceased. Way too soon."

And while I say that here we are discussing it lol. Oh well. To each their own but I have an enormous amount of respect for the musician in the man. And the band. They hated themselves along the way and certainly didn't treat all members equal or fairly but will always love the Eagles music and will always have fond memories from when I was a kid and saw Glenn Frey on his own and went onto Miami Vice and Smugglers Blues etc.

Thanks for the link.

I don't know who Mike Sharpe is either. Mick Box is the Guitarist for Uriah Heep and Ron Bushy is the drummer for Iron Butterfly (I had to look them up). I used them (somewhat joking) as examples of bands that were popular (Iron Butterfly has a platinum album and Uriah Heep had several albums in the top-50) but largely forgotten. I'm not saying the Eagles will be forgotten, BTW.

Another interesting one is JJ Cale. If you look at the people that cite him as an influence it's incredible that almost no one knows who he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ_Cale

Well that makes me feel a little better! The Uriah Heap guitarist and Iron Butterfly drummer might be a little hard even for a music aficionado to come up with! But we need to figure out just who the hell Mike Sharpe is now and what did we miss?

The WaPo does a decent job of surveying the landscape of hate and antipathy for The Eagles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/19/how-glenn-frey-and-the-eagles-outlasted-everyone-who-loved-to-hate-them/

Still. 10s of 1000s of people would routinely turn out to catch these guys play, and many more 100s of 1000s bought their records. As much as the pundits would hate to admit it: That means something. I'm not sure what, mind you. But it's something.

I think it means that the Eagles figured out The FormulaTM.  They had a style that made country sound alot like rock and roll.  It was radio friendly, had catchy hooks, lyrics with imagery of carefree escape that young adults at the time related well to, and they could pound out entire albums of it.  It was vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate sauce.  The critics were going to hate it.  The masses were going to buy gallons of it.

I think it means that the Eagles figured out The FormulaTM. They had a style that made country sound alot like rock and roll. It was radio friendly, had catchy hooks, lyrics with imagery of carefree escape that young adults at the time related well to, and they could pound out entire albums of it. It was vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate sauce. The critics were going to hate it. The masses were going to buy gallons of it.

Good description. :lol:

Still remember hearing Timothy B. Schmit talking about the breakup of the Eagles on Rockline one night. (He joined the band for their original last studio album - The Long Run.) Everybody was so gung ho to quit and he'd only done 1 album, so HE didn't quit. There was no band left for him to quit from and he still considered himself a "current" Eagle. :lol:

RIP Glen Frey. Hope your time in purgatory for your involvement w/ Miami Vice isn't too long, if it isn't over already. ;)

Edited by Taro T

Could be, I was a kid in the 80s and not around for enough of the 70s to remember much. All the same, I don't think the Eagles currently have anywhere near the impact of Bowie or Alan Rickman on the general consciousnes; I somewhat stand by my point (not to offend anyone). It's not like it's Mick Box or Ron Bushy we're talking about here. :)

It's a very unscientific scale, but I'd say I hear the Eagles more often on the classic rock stations (on XM) than I do Bowie.  I've never taken the time to count though, obviously.

It's a very unscientific scale, but I'd say I hear the Eagles more often on the classic rock stations (on XM) than I do Bowie.  I've never taken the time to count though, obviously.

I tend to agree. How about this: the Eagles has a profound effect on music listeners in the 70s and maybe 80s, where Bowie was never as popular for his classic rock period, but his moves into pop and electronic later in his career, as well as movies and fashion puts him more prevalent in the popular mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.