Did Murray trade away too much?

Jerry Jabber

I understand Murray's reasoning as he didn't see this as a "five year rebuild," so he has a plan to get younger NHL players to speed up the rebuild process. I'm just concerned that he could have stripped the "cupboard bare" so to speak by trying to speed up the rebuild process. I hope that is not the case here.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

For those who can't get over giving up #21 for Lehner; would you be ok w/ giving up 31 for Lehner & Legwand? Because, giving up 21 in the package for the O'Reilly package doesn't make it favorable to the Avs; and that's what would have gone to the Avs if the Lehner trade sent 31 to the Otters. Murray was quoted as saying after he picked up Lehner that he knew the guy he'd've wanted at 21 was available at 31.

If you still don't want Lehner at 31, fair enough, but did you really want to enter this season w/ a career backup & a rookie coming off double hip surgery? Personally, I'd hoped Neuvirth would come back; but short of that, there really wasn't anything else IMHO better than Lehner + experience for #31 available.

For those who can't get over giving up #21 for Lehner; would you be ok w/ giving up 31 for Lehner & Legwand? Because, giving up 21 in the package for the O'Reilly package doesn't make it favorable to the Avs; and that's what would have gone to the Avs if the Lehner trade sent 31 to the Otters. Murray was quoted as saying after he picked up Lehner that he knew the guy he'd've wanted at 21 was available at 31.

If you still don't want Lehner at 31, fair enough, but did you really want to enter this season w/ a career backup & a rookie coming off double hip surgery? Personally, I'd hoped Neuvirth would come back; but short of that, there really wasn't anything else IMHO better than Lehner + experience for #31 available.

I never saw that quote. Wonder who that was.

Maybe they were in love with Guhle the whole time.

No, but those weren't the only options.  

No, but those weren't the only options.  

Talbot? Lack? How are those deals working out?

Enroth is a backup. So is Lindback. Jones cost more than Lehner did.

Niemi wasn't coming here anyway, but did you really want a 30-something goalie on this team over a 22-year-old guy who can grow with the core?

Did I miss anybody?

Like Taro said, the only guy that looks good right now is Neuvirth.

Talbot? Lack? How are those deals working out?

Enroth is a backup. So is Lindback. Jones cost more than Lehner did.

Niemi wasn't coming here anyway, but did you really want a 30-something goalie on this team over a 22-year-old guy who can grow with the core?

Did I miss anybody?

Like Taro said, the only guy that looks good right now is Neuvirth.

Coincidentally, the guy I wanted.

I never saw that quote. Wonder who that was.

Maybe they were in love with Guhle the whole time.

It was a reference to to soon to be made O'Reilly trade. TM knew he'd end up giving up both picks for guys that were already in the NHL.

Coincidentally, the guy I wanted.

As did I. But was there any reason at all (in hind sight) to think he had any desire to come back?

Johnson is working himself into being trade bait at the deadline. If Lehner can get himself up to speed before the deadline, Murray may be able to put Johnson into a package and get a decent pick or prospect back.

Heh heh, he said "Johnson" and "package" in the same sentence.

Johnson is working himself into being trade bait at the deadline. If Lehner can get himself up to speed before the deadline, Murray may be able to put Johnson into a package and get a decent pick or prospect back.

Heh heh, he said "Johnson" and "package" in the same sentence.

Makes sense. Murray did that with Enroth and Neuvirth last year.

Settle down Beavis!

At this point Lehner should be the one, he looks like a slow lumbering wookie (no offense) that only blooks shots because he is so big. Lehner needs to go back to AHL for more conditioning. Kane trade still meh but love his speed, enthusiasm and moxie in the corners so I am not as down on that one as originally stated. Probably gave up too much but in order for trade to happen? Still think Lehner trade is a bust.

Edited by North Buffalo

At this point Lehner should be the one, he looks like a slow lumbering wookie (no offense) that only blooks shots because he is so big. Lehner needs to go back to AHL for more conditioning. Kane trade still meh but love his speed, enthusiasm and moxie in the corners so I am not as down on that one as originally stated. Probably gave up too much but in order for trade to happen? Still think Lehner trade is a bust.

This is the crux of it.  We gave up a lot, but it'll be OK if the players we got in return are worth it.  We need more from Kane, Bogo, and Lehner for those trades to make sense.  Lehner has to get healthy *and* play better than he has the last two seasons.  And Kane and Bogo need to step it up as well because so far they don't look much different than the core guys we unloaded during the Tank years.

Acquiring ROR and McGinn makes up for a lot but we're probably out of the running for a guy like Drouin because of how much we've already traded away.

Again, we've seen exactly one game and ten minutes of Lehner this year. Calling the trade a bust is a bit premature, unless you're going to hold him personally accountable for the injury. I have a good deal of confidence that he'll get it in gear shortly.

ROBIN LEHNER WILL BE F.... Oh I can't do it.

Again, we've seen exactly one game and ten minutes of Lehner this year. Calling the trade a bust is a bit premature, unless you're going to hold him personally accountable for the injury. I have a good deal of confidence that he'll get it in gear shortly.

trades don't have to be a bust because of their performance on the ice, Leaner has had a history of injuries, and after 10 minutes here he was back on long term IR. If the guy barely sees the ice because he's hurt, the trade is just as much a bust as if he played and stunk the place up. So far dealing anything for him has been a bust, but there's hope he can change it and stay healthy while also playing well.

Makes sense. Murray did that with Enroth and Neuvirth last year.

Settle down Beavis!

the difference was both Enroth and Neuvirth played well enough that teams looked at them as solid fill in options as starters. Does anyone in the league outside of Buffalo have faith in Johnson being anything more then just a decent backup goalie?

Normally I'd say you are correct but for a guy expected to be number 1 he looked grossley overweight and slow

It's pretty clear the nucleus of the team is manifesting.  Risto, Eichel, Sam, and O'Reilly (McGinn as honorable mention).  Obviously O'Reilly being the only player via trade.  So with that I would have liked to see more of the players we traded for become part of the nucleus this year.  I'd argue we haven't really had a nucleus for a very long time so it's an exciting future. 

The trades for me still represent hope and a big part of that are Kane and Bogo.  I personally like Franson and think this may have been one of Murray's nicer moves. 

If Girgensons and Ennis wake up and Pysyk continues his improvement these are the guys that become very important in terms of how good we get.

Sorry guys just sort of random thoughts.

Edited by 7+6=13

It's pretty clear the nucleus of the team is manifesting.  Risto, Eichel, Sam, and O'Reilly (McGinn as honorable mention).  Obviously O'Reilly being the only player via trade.  So with that I would have liked to see more of the players we traded for become part of the nucleus this year.  I'd argue we haven't really had a nucleus for a very long time so it's an exciting future. 

The trades for me still represent hope and a big part of that are Kane and Bogo.  I personally like Franson and think this may have been one of Murray's nicer moves. 

If Girgensons and Ennis wake up and Pysyk continues his improvement these are the guys that become very important in terms of how good we get.

Sorry guys just sort of random thoughts.

+1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.