Did Murray trade away too much?

Jerry Jabber

It's pretty clear the nucleus of the team is manifesting.  Risto, Eichel, Sam, and O'Reilly (McGinn as honorable mention).  Obviously O'Reilly being the only player via trade.  So with that I would have liked to see more of the players we traded for become part of the nucleus this year.  I'd argue we haven't really had a nucleus for a very long time so it's an exciting future. 

The trades for me still represent hope and a big part of that are Kane and Bogo.  I personally like Franson and think this may have been one of Murray's nicer moves. 

If Girgensons and Ennis wake up and Pysyk continues his improvement these are the guys that become very important in terms of how good we get.

Sorry guys just sort of random thoughts.

Kane started to do this with the Winnipeg game I think, and Bogosian in tonight's game. Good signs!

• 1 year later...

I brought this up over a year ago and with today's events that transpired, it's a good time to look at this again. Did GMTM give up too much between draft picks and prospects when he made trades? If you believe so, do you think it's a reason why the Sabres aren't further along than they should be?

I think it is as simple as, the team he built is a mess in the locker room and on the ice and his farm team has the exact same look.  Could his trades be a part of that?  Sure.  But there is alot more to it.

1st for Lehner, I have no problem with if he becomes our #1 goalie for years to come.

Also we didn't really have a goalie and didn't know what Ullmark, Johansson, petersen would turn into.

The only one I regret in giving up was JT compher in the O'Reilly trade for basically one year of McGinn.

Zadorov I don't count because you have to give to get.

Kane for Myers + Lemieux would have been enough I guess, taking on Bogo's contract :sick: .   Really hope Bogo turns it around.

Murray brought in a couple all-star caliber players. The price for that alone is almost worth every player and pick he gave up.

I really don't get all the Compher ball washing. He might turn into a nice little NHL player but is by no means someone to lose sleep over losing.

Murray brought in a couple all-star caliber players. The price for that alone is almost worth every player and pick he gave up.

I really don't get all the Compher ball washing. He might turn into a nice little NHL player but is by no means someone to lose sleep over losing.

ROR and Kane were really solid player pickups.  Those kind of players don't show up often, and giving up players you intended to move anyway...... hard to not like that.

ROR and Kane were really solid player pickups. Those kind of players don't show up often, and giving up players you intended to move anyway...... hard to not like that.

And unloading guys like Stafford, Myers, etc were good moves.

Good luck to the new GM with some of these contracts though. Moulson and Bogo are real big negatives in GMTM's book.

Not really sure why so many people are either unsure of, or don't like Lehner as a #1. His save % of (.920) was phenomenal considering how many shots allowed we averaged (34.3).

Lehner was good this year in the numbers column. I just don't like how he plays.

And unloading guys like Stafford, Myers, etc were good moves.

Good luck to the new GM with some of these contracts though. Moulson and Bogo are real big negatives in GMTM's book.

The contract situation can be dealt with. Look at what Toronto did. David freaking Clarkson, not to mention one nut and the Princess. All gone. Bury some others in the minors. Now the new GM has the luxury of the expansion draft to rid themselves of one. I just want someone that can do this right.

If not getting a 5th and a 4th round picks were the straw, we're screwed.

It's more then that. It's knowing the thing is going bad and doing nothing about it.

But let's review Franson. If you are GMTM, you know your team isn't making the playoffs and you also know that you aren't re-signing Franson, why would you let him walk for nothing; which is exactly what is happening. That 4th rd pick could turn out to be a player or an asset to use in another deal.

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.