Updated Evander Kane Cleared in Sex Offense Investigation

Brawndo

I have a thought on snap chatting and "down in DMing". First I'll say that everyone's different and to each his own. I don't care and my view of him isn't relevant to anyone except me.

On to my thought.

I were an advisor of his, or a friend, I'd tell him to knock it off.

He's being investigated by men and women for a sex crime. There will be dozens of facts and circumstances. Investigators, or human beings, are going to have to apply their judgment with regard to if, or how, they move forward. To an extraordinary extent, his future is in the hands of others who will apply their best judgment. Who knows how a snapchat story affects even one investigator, prosecutor, or witness? The stakes are high and he's in a situation he can only tangentially influence. It's just unwise (dumb might be a better word) to be seen as a reckless skirt chaser in this situation.

When the Feds are investigating you for a bank robbery, buying pink Cadillacs and lighting cigars with $100 bills isn't smart, even if you're using 1st communion money.

One person's judgment call could change the trajectory of his life. Put the cell phone down.

This is a well-thought out perspective that raises some important points. I do think though that on a general level, to live one's life with the fear of how you will be judged by others may not be the way many choose to live. And to expect people to live based on how others may judge their personal choices could set an unfortunate precedent. 

The line between not having to act guilty, and acting stupidly, is blurred here.

Edit: I don't know what the speed limit was where he was driving, but that is the thing that would potentially bother me most about this new snapchat business. (Confession - I don't know what snapchat is, exactly)

Also, it's sort of an odd situation, as we know so little of what the original allegation was about. It almost seems like it comes down to, if he is guilty of something, being "brass" like this would be a dumb idea, but if he has done nothing wrong and knows it, I understand why he would want to continue acting in the ways he sees fit, provided he isn't hurting anyone. Again, it would be unfortunate if he had to portray himself in a way he didn't want to, just to escape the potential judgments of others.

Edited by Thorny

I have a thought on snap chatting and "down in DMing". First I'll say that everyone's different and to each his own. I don't care and my view of him isn't relevant to anyone except me.

On to my thought.

I were an advisor of his, or a friend, I'd tell him to knock it off.

He's being investigated by men and women for a sex crime. There will be dozens of facts and circumstances. Investigators, or human beings, are going to have to apply their judgment with regard to if, or how, they move forward. To an extraordinary extent, his future is in the hands of others who will apply their best judgment. Who knows how a snapchat story affects even one investigator, prosecutor, or witness? The stakes are high and he's in a situation he can only tangentially influence. It's just unwise (dumb might be a better word) to be seen as a reckless skirt chaser in this situation.

When the Feds are investigating you for a bank robbery, buying pink Cadillacs and lighting cigars with $100 bills isn't smart, even if you're using 1st communion money.

One person's judgment call could change the trajectory of his life. Put the cell phone down.

I must know how many pink Cadillacs you own. No, I'm not a CI for the IRS, promise.

Is it possible the 93.5 was kilometers per hour and not mph?

Hardly qualified to guess here, having not seen his post, but I would say it's at least a decent possibility, as he could very well have a vehicle from his home in Vancouver. I could be way off, though.

Is it possible the 93.5 was kilometers per hour and not mph?

Quite possible. Maybe even likely. I feel as though if a Sabre in a fancy vehicle were doing damn near 100 on his way to Prior Aviation (that likely means the 33, BTW), there'd be a story out there.

His alleged speeding was not the thing that gave me pause, in any case.

Quite possible. Maybe even likely. I feel as though if a Sabre in a fancy vehicle were doing damn near 100 on his way to Prior Aviation (that likely means the 33, BTW), there'd be a story out there.

His alleged speeding was not the thing that gave me pause, in any case.

What gave you pause? That he was playing a naughty rap song?

This is a well-thought out perspective that raises some important points. I do think though that on a general level, to live one's life with the fear of how you will be judged by others may Also, it's sort of an odd situation, as we know so little of what the original allegation was about. It almost seems like it comes down to, if he is guilty of something, being "brass" like this would be a dumb idea, but if he has done nothing wrong and knows it, I understand why he would want to continue acting in the ways he sees fit, provided he isn't hurting anyone. Again, it would be unfortunate if he had to portray himself in a way he didn't want to, just to escape the potential judgments of others.

Exactly. He's behaving like someone who knows he did nothing wrong.

The generation gap is on full display in this thread.

This is a well-thought out perspective that raises some important points. I do think though that on a general level, to live one's life with the fear of how you will be judged by others may not be the way many choose to live. And to expect people to live based on how others may judge their personal choices could set an unfortunate precedent.

The line between not having to act guilty, and acting stupidly, is blurred here.

Edit: I don't know what the speed limit was where he was driving, but that is the thing that would potentially bother me most about this new snapchat business. (Confession - I don't know what snapchat is, exactly)

Also, it's sort of an odd situation, as we know so little of what the original allegation was about. It almost seems like it comes down to, if he is guilty of something, being "brass" like this would be a dumb idea, but if he has done nothing wrong and knows it, I understand why he would want to continue acting in the ways he sees fit, provided he isn't hurting anyone. Again, it would be unfortunate if he had to portray himself in a way he didn't want to, just to escape the potential judgments of others.

Good stuff here Thorny.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/another-pro-athlete-appears-to-have-been-falsely-accused-of-rape/article/2582293

The two had met on Instagram and decided to meet up at a hotel. Bromley told police that he found the woman naked on the hotel bed after he came out of the bathroom. She performed oral sex on him, stopped, and demanded $2,000. Bromley said he didn't pay because he thought it was a date.

Police told the New York Post that after Bromley refused to pay, the woman continued engaging in sexual activity before requesting money again, at which point Bromley left. Surveillance videos showed the woman following Bromley out of the hotel, continuing to harass him before throwing herself onto the hood of his car.

The accuser also has a history of seeking payment from athletes she meets on Instagram, and of threatening celebrities for money. She had reportedly tried to extort money from actor Taye Diggs by threatening to release a sex tape of the two of them. Diggs reportedly paid the woman, but the accuser claims she didn't extort him or receive money.

What does this have to do with Kane?

Srsly

Holy Christ -- the article starts out informative and then the writer pulls out the broadest of brushes -- casually lumping in the Pat Kane situation and then also the Jameis Winston one (the latter sounds like a goddamn travesty).

Here's the kicker that made me #SMDH:

The message to athletes should be clear: You've got a target on your back. Gone are the days of partying and groupies, now people just want to get paid.

Because poor Jameis Winston. I mean, really.

Every situation is going to be different. I'd be willing to bet that the story being reported on is fairly exceptional (rare). The far more common scenario, IMO, involves an unfortunate mix of a one-night stand dynamic, alcohol, drugs, some initial consent and/or showing of interest, and then some he-said-she-said about whether things went too far, etc.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This latest post needs some context/commentary from the poster. I immediately clicked it, thinking it was about Kane. What does this have to do with Kane?

Srsly

Holy Christ -- the article starts out informative and then the writer pulls out the broadest of brushes -- casually lumping in the Pat Kane situation and then also the Jameis Winston one (the latter sounds like a goddamn travesty).

Here's the kicker that made me #SMDH:

The message to athletes should be clear: You've got a target on your back. Gone are the days of partying and groupies, now people just want to get paid.

Because poor Jameis Winston. I mean, really.

Every situation is going to be different. I'd be willing to bet that the story being reported on is fairly exceptional (rare). The far more common scenario, IMO, involves an unfortunate mix of a one-night stand dynamic, alcohol, drugs, some initial consent and/or showing of interest, and then some he-said-she-said about whether things went too far, etc.

The point of posting the story is that I don't think false accusations are rare -- and there is a very good likelihood that 2 hockey players have been recently victimized by false accusations. 

(Regrettably, true accusations aren't rare either.)

This is Freeman's version of wide right.

What does this mean?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.