Sabres goalies both have better GAA and SV% than Ryan Miller

matter2003

Looks like they made a good decision not resigning Miller...

Both Sabre's goalies have a lower GAA(2.33 and 2.64 for Johnson/Ullmark to 2.70 for Miller) and better save percentage(.918 for Johnson, .911 for Ullmark and .910 for Miller)

Miller has been well below average for a lot of the time after he left Buffalo.

I watched the Canucks get shredded by the Wild the other night and it was a worse defensive performance than any delivered in the tank year. Save the win over the Sabres, the Canucks are in a bad place and have been for a few weeks.

I guess what I'm saying is I expect Miller's stats to get worse and it wont necessarily be his fault.

Edited by dudacek

I watched the Canucks get shredded by the Wild the other night and it was a worse defensive performance than any delivered in the tank year. Save the win over the Sabres, the Canucks are in a bad place and have been for a few weeks.

I guess what I'm saying is I expect Miller's stats to get worse and it wont necessarily be his fault.

Does Ryan still call out his teammates after games?

It never is.

It never is.

Yeah, right! I was going to say the same thing.

I remember when it was said to be careful what you wish for if Miller was traded. Well, I for one wished for Miller to be gone, as I couldn't stand him. Guys like Hackett, Lieuwen, Enroth, Neuvirth, and Lindback were nothing more than average, just like Miller was, and the sabres goaltending didn't miss a beat without him. 

The biggest hockey myth ever was that Ryan Miller was an elite goalie.

The fact of it is that Ryan Miller was/is the most overrated goalie of all time.

And he chokes on the biggest stage, good riddance.  

The defense in front of your keeper does matter, which makes our goalie combo even more impressive.

I made the comment in last night's game thread the Lehner trade really feels like a waste now. (SDS rebutted) Until Robin gets on the ice for an extended period that question won't be answered, but like TBJ said, we'll start winning games if we can regularly score 3.

Let's wait to judge our goalie situation until we need our goalies in big game situations.  Whoopteedo, our goalies have mediocre stats and the team is in the bottom 1/3.  Let's see if we'll miss reliable goaltending when we are working our way through the top 8 teams in the conference in 7 game series.

Miller, in his day, showed up in the playoffs.  

Let's wait to judge our goalie situation until we need our goalies in big game situations.  Whoopteedo, our goalies have mediocre stats and the team is in the bottom 1/3.  Let's see if we'll miss reliable goaltending when we are working our way through the top 8 teams in the conference in 7 game series.

This.

Yeah, right! I was going to say the same thing.

I remember when it was said to be careful what you wish for if Miller was traded. Well, I for one wished for Miller to be gone, as I couldn't stand him. Guys like Hackett, Lieuwen, Enroth, Neuvirth, and Lindback were nothing more than average, just like Miller was, and the sabres goaltending didn't miss a beat without him. 

The biggest hockey myth ever was that Ryan Miller was an elite goalie.

The fact of it is that Ryan Miller was/is the most overrated goalie of all time.

And he chokes on the biggest stage, good riddance.  

Now tell us how you really feel?

Yeah, Miller wasn't the second coming of Dominik Hasek, but he was hardly the most overrated goalie of all time, either.

He was an above average goalie, capable on going on extended hotstreaks, but I never thought he was worth that ridiculous contract they gave him.

Lol, watch some Canucks games, that team is horrible. Miller hasn't been elite for them, but is hardly the issue in Vancouver.

As for the Sabres goal tending, it's been mediocre and the goalies have yet to have to play in any situation where they were need to hold them in a game cause the team wasn't trying to win. I wouldn't put my money yet on Johnson or Ullmark coming up big in a high pressure playoff situation

And no, there's a bigger hockey myth out there involving Miller and it's that he is some horrible teammate that throws his teammates under the bus. I don't thi K I have ever heard some say he was a bad teammate and didn't hold himself accountable.

Yes indeed.

He wilted as series went along. I've provided the stats. He's just not a big game goalie, and that extends to the Winter Classic, the Olympics as well as Game Sevens.

No.  You've made the claim, but you've not come close to supporting it.

In the Olympics, Miller lost 3-2 in OT to one of the best teams ever assembled.

In the Winter Classic, he lost 2-1 in the shootout.

As for "Game Sevens" -- do you mean all 2 of them in his career?  Including the one vs. Philly in which he was the only Sabre who bothered to take the ice?

When and where? Name a huge spot where Miller showed up and stole the show!

No.  You've made the claim, but you've not come close to supporting it.

In the Olympics, Miller lost 3-2 in OT to one of the best teams ever assembled.

In the Winter Classic, he lost 2-1 in the shootout.

As for "Game Sevens" -- do you mean all 2 of them in his career?  Including the one vs. Philly in which he was the only Sabre who bothered to take the ice?

Ryan didn't take the ice either. He did take the bench early in the third though after allowing four goals on 28 shots. I don't know why he always got a pass from some many fans. Because he's American? Because the Idea of Miller was too appealing to be challenged? I did provide the stats breaking down his performance early and late in series. I am not going to take the time to find the thread or redo the work. People can look back and do the old eyeball test if they want.

Edited by pASabreFan

Ryan didn't take the ice either. He did take the bench early in the third though after allowing four goals on 28 shots. I don't know why he always got a pass from some many fans. Because he's American? Because the Idea of Miller was too appealing to be challenged? I did provide the stats breaking down his performance early and late in series. I am not going to take the time to find the thread or redo the work. People can look back and do the old eyeball test if they want.

Then don't claim you made the case, especially with airy references to the Winter Classic and "Game Sevens" that don't support it.

As for why many fans "give him a pass" -- perhaps it's not for the condescending non-reasons you propose, but rather because they believe that for most of his career here, he was a very good-to-great goalie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.