Terry Pegula - Rally the Owners to change the challenge rule

LGR4GM

This rule is ######.

Gionta was onsides but because his skate wasn't on the ice he is offsides.  Great, awesome. How about you fix this ######.  I can't believe what crap this rule has become. Gionta having his skate off the ice gave absolutely no advantage to Buffalo what so ever on that freaking play.

Pegula you need to fix this crap. I am pissed as a fan. I was going to buy a jersey this year. Now I am going back to my boycott of NHL merchandise. Fix this travesty now.

sorry SDS I tried to censor myself the best I could.

Edited by LGR4GM

no idea but the Owners have the most league power so let's go Terry. Stand up for you fans. I am calling you out. Change the offsides rule. And change the challenge rule.

It was passed 29-1 by the Governors (owners) after a recommendation from the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee and the General Managers. It's not going away. But at the BOG meeting this week they did discuss having Toronto take over the replay process.

"The purpose of this is we don't want everything being reviewed," Bettman said. "Overwhelmingly, the calls are right. We only want it done in an egregious case."

Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said he's been pushing for this for years and has seen drastic change in the type of support he has received on the issue.

Four years ago, the idea was voted down 28-2. Tuesday, the vote was 29-1 in favor.

"It's about time," Tallon said.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12501611/nhl-introduce-3-3-play-part-rules-changes

Edited by pASabreFan

It was passed 29-1 by the Governors (owners) after a recommendation from the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee and the General Managers. It's not going away. But at the BOG meeting today they did discuss having Toronto take over the replay process.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12501611/nhl-introduce-3-3-play-part-rules-changes

That offside by Gionta was not egregious at all. They this rule up. Since they vote on this they can change it this summer.

Crappy rule? Maybe, but would it have killed Gionta to drag a toe? C'mon. They didn't change what is or isn't onside.

They didn't change the rules for balls or strikes in baseball, but at least that sport wasn't dumb enough to allow challenging it

Edited by WildCard

Crappy rule? Maybe, but would it have killed Gionta to drag a toe? C'mon. They didn't change what is or isn't onside.

this pretty much says it all as far as tonight's challenge goes. that's peewee hockey. from our captain no less. 

but as far as challenging offsides in general, here is my big concern: what exactly is a player supposed to do when they enter the zone and suspect they are offside, but it went uncalled? i don't remember the game so you'll have to take my word for it, but a few weeks ago eichel crossed the blue line offside and pretty much came to a dead stop and relaxed his body as if he 100% expected an offside call, but the whistle never blew so play continued. nothing came of the play, but that's what got me thinking about it.

you enter the zone, you know you're offside, but the linesman missed it. there is now literally no use in exerting effort or trying to get a scoring chance, because you know it's going to be called back. you may as well just dump it in and retreat.

better yet, picture a scenario where there is an offside play that went uncalled. a battle ensues in the corner between eichel and a defender, and eichel winds up getting blindsided and injured. all on a play where had he "won the battle" and scored a goal, it wouldn't have counted. players are risking injury in what is essentially a "dead zone" of a game.

it's hard to express my thoughts in words. basically i just feel there is a contradiction. it's like, all of this stuff after a missed offside call STILL HAPPENS. injuries, effort, body checks, battles, etc. The game goes on as normal. UNLESS A GOAL IS SCORED. And then we pretend like the whole play never happened. Try telling the players out there for that shift though that the last 50 seconds wasn't real.

i also saw a guy in twitter liken it to if you were able to challenge holding in the NFL. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

So, is this a thing now? Whenever we lose a challenge there has to be a new thread bittching about it?

I'll have to look. Was there a new thread when we won that challenge against was it Arizona?

Wasn't that an interference challenge. I know others feel differently, but I have no problem with the interference challenge.

They didn't change the rules for balls or strikes in baseball, but at least that sport wasn't dumb enough to allow challenging it

Even that analogy, which is pretty fair, gives the NHL too much credit. Offside isn't as important in hockey play as balls and strikes are in baseball. How about about taking back a home run because review shows a player didn't touch second base?

I don't have a problem with the rule.  It will even out over time.  If I could be critical of anything, it is the small monitors they give the refs to look at replays on.  This is a billion dollar industry and we have them looking at tiny screens to see if a play is onsides.  They need the latest in HD tech and they should have it.

Edited by wjag

Linesman was in position and he didn't call it.  Naked eye is gonna miss some each way, and officials need discretion, that's part of the game.  If he gets it wrong and blows the whistle, fine, play stops, fans go from a "maybe we score" to "oh darn".  Instead we are going from full-on celebration of an important goal (moments that are limited to about 2-3 a game) to wait and see, to complete frustration.  It's ruining fan experience (like NFL) and needs to be changed.

Just saw the play.

1. Eichel caused the offsides. Gionta probably had it timed perfectly. Never, ever make a move as you go over the blue line. Gionta was reading Eichel... Jack needs to keep his direction and speed.

2. How about the ref gets one view of the replay? If it's not evident there it's too close to call.

Just saw the play.

1. Eichel caused the offsides. Gionta probably had it timed perfectly. Never, ever make a move as you go over the blue line. Gionta was reading Eichel... Jack needs to keep his direction and speed.

2. How about the ref gets one view of the replay? If it's not evident there it's too close to call.

Without the move, there is no goal. It's on Gionta. This isn't beer league.

I'd rather have a time limit on the call than one view of a replay that might not be the best angle. Do we want it right or do we want it quick? I don't want it at all of course, but might as well get it right.

By the way, Hamilton claimed the review took five minutes. It was 2:20 from announcement to announcement.

Just saw the play.

I thank you for joining the coalition of the brave.

PA....if there is no move there is no goal......no sh#t! That's why there is a blueline. Odel Beckham can make a 60yd one handed catch in the end zone, but if he ran out of bounds at the 20 to avoid contact on the route, it's no good. Skill is only as good as the results within the structure. The world's greatest yodeler isn't going to take many gigs from Pavarotti.....

You guys are all acting like fools trying to place blame on a particular player, when the truth is that in the game of hockey, as we have known it from the beginning of time until the implementation of this challenge abomination, that play is on-sides. End of story. It's not offsides without the challenge or intense video scrutiny, which means it's not offsides at all.

You guys are all acting like fools trying to place blame on a particular player, when the truth is that in the game of hockey, as we have known it from the beginning of time until the implementation of this challenge abomination, that play is on-sides. End of story. It's not offsides without the challenge or intense video scrutiny, which means it's not offsides at all.

Amen

I said it in the game thread....that play happens all the time. I didn't come in saying, "Way to blow a goal Eichel by going 87 degrees to the left at the last second while your teammates were starting to accelerate in anticipation of you keeping your pace."

I just came to the defense of an all too common pile on.

There's an old hockey saying.....

Wash a man's balls and his sack will be clean for a day......Teach a man to wash his own balls and he will have a Hall-of-Fame .....

Guys, what in the hell is this move you keep talking about?? It's not like he was Tyler Ennis dancing over the line. He veered about 10 degrees left without slowing down to avoid the defender who was positioned to poke check the puck if he came straight on!

Truth.

Are you saying the linesmen for time immemorial have been calling it wrong?

I thank you for joining the coalition of the brave.

PA....if there is no move there is no goal......no sh#t! That's why there is a blueline. Odel Beckham can make a 60yd one handed catch in the end zone, but if he ran out of bounds at the 20 to avoid contact on the route, it's no good. Skill is only as good as the results within the structure. The world's greatest yodeler isn't going to take many gigs from Pavarotti.....

I think you missed the point. And I think with the Eichel ball-washing bit you're just trying to make head cheese. I have no idea what that means, but I'm pretty sure I just out-grossed you. Your turn.

Not wrong, just not accurately. Off-sides, especially at the fastest level of the game, is almost impossible to see in real time. You have to take it for what it is. It simply isn't meant to be scrutinized beyond the level of real time human perception. Anything more intensive is a bastardization of the game. 

Truth.

I think you missed the point. And I think with the Eichel ball-washing bit you're just trying to make head cheese. I have no idea what that means, but I'm pretty sure I just out-grossed you. Your turn.

I like head cheese. You must not be in PA Dutch land.

I'm not just talking about Eichel. Ristolainen is a good player and making big strides. In fact I have more confidence in him now than I ever did in Myers.

Eichel is almost treating the game at times like it is the X-Games ski slalom. Sure the time counts, but he's trying to rack up freestyle points. Where's the supposed combine standout and guy who posted weightlifting videos online? So far his unicorn outfit is the perfect fit.

Not wrong, just not accurately. Off-sides, especially at the fastest level of the game, is almost impossible to see in real time. You have to take it for what it is. It simply isn't meant to be scrutinized beyond the level of real time human perception. Anything more intensive is a bastardization of the game. 

It's a bastardization of the rule because of this. When the linesman calls off sides, and there wasn't one, there is no review. In the balance of hockey every off-sides missed is made up by an offside call where there was no offside, called off sides.

How many 2 on 1's are called off side that has a great possibility of netting a goal but is called back wrongly. Yet no review.

The NHL has severely messed with the ying- n-yang  flow of the game. 

This review process to me is worse than making the rinks and nets bigger in comparison to its impact on the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.