GDT: Buffalo at Dallas, 8:00pm ET, 11/21/2015

Doohickie

Went to the game last night, man that was bad. Even O'Reilly was quiet along with others mentioned above. There was very little offense last night. This team has lost its way. But I have to keep reminding myself that they are playing a tough part of the schedule now. Also this is a young team that has not played together for long. Better days are ahead.

On a side note, that was the first time to go to a game. Have watched every game for the last few years on sattelite. But to see a game live was a great experience. Met TBJ there as well. We could hear TBJ and those with him even get the "let's go Buffalo" chant going. Was surprised at how many Sabres fans were there. That was great to see as well.

I think Dallas showed last night that it is a really good 200-foot team -- not just in the offensive zone.

Still, the Sabres were right there with them in the low-scoring (boring) chess match until about 12 min left -- and Risto missed a really good chance to tie it up about a minute before that.

It will be pretty hard for the Sabres to win consistently unless Ennis, Kane and Moulson start scoring.

Wondering why none of the Sabres came to Deslauriers' aid during the beatdown. This seems to be a chronic problem with this team.

If Deslauriers can't stand up for himself in a one-on-one physical situation why is he on this team? Luckily he can. He got his ass kicked in that fight, but his physical game is just fine.

Again I'm going to have to complain about Dunleavy. His calling of games is just horrible. I caught the first period and half on the radio and the rest on TV. I had NO idea that Sabres even had a 5v3 until Brian Duff was joking about it in the intermission. I still don't know why we got a double minor there in the second, I'm guessing blood was drawn? Mutiple times they would be talking about random useless trivia and then would just blurt out "eichel with a chance" "Risto just missed" and then not explain the development of the play. I mean the first minute of the game where we apparently had a chance he was still talking about random stuff and only after dallas broke out after the chance did they back track and explain what happened, at the expense of the play still continuing. Let RJ call them or find someone else. 

There is zero reason that Ennis should be at the point on a powerplay, especially with his game in a slump. I want someone with a shot like Risto or someone like Jack that can execute the play like a quarterback and connect on passes while creating space for himself. 

Moulson and Ennis continue to disappoint. Maybe it's because they were the only excitement last year but they have fallen flat and are dragging there linemates down recently.

Gionta hasn't had the offensive production we'd hoped for but lately he's been working harder and making some decent 2-way plays. My complaint with him is can't execute a dump'n'chase to save his life. I don't think I've seen him try and carry it deep once this season. Even if the other teams D is baking into the zone he'll gain the line and chip it behind the net completely killing the play. It's the almost the opposite of Ennis who will try to stick handle through three guys and either make a highlight reel play (twice) or turn the puck over with him now chasing the play (every other zone entry). They both need to take a page from each others game. 

We really need the possession that Girgensons was bringing, a shut down player with offensive upside is a staple on playoff team. A small skill guy like Ennis that isn't contributing isn't. 

Even if that first goal was tipped, it was above the circles, Johnson has to make that save. I don't need more Miller softies ruining good games. 

We need to survive this stretch of who's who of NHL's best, possible get over some lingering injuries, definitely get over some mental blocks and get some PP production.

Let's Go Buffalo. 

Went to the game last night (I hit about 20+ Stars games/year - 10 rows above the ice in the corner where the Sabres shoot twice).  Several people on my section are long-time season ticket holders and we have known each other for years — they were anxious to see "my boy Eichel” live, since I have been bragging about him all season (actually maybe for 2 seasons).

The game in general:

They hung with a high scoring team for 2 periods.  The SOG count was very close after 2 periods.  (15–13 DAL), so not many scoring opportunities for either team.  I think the Sabres were pressing in the 3rd which left too many opportunities for DAL and that's hard to overcome, the Stars will take advantage of those opportunities.  Early in the game, it looked like we were outplaying them as the puck seemed to be in the Stars zone a lot.  The Sabres seemed to play back by design, so where there was a rebound by Niemi, no Sabre was there for it.  There were very few quality scoring opportunities for the Sabres – my buds questioned Niemi getting 1st star, since "he did not do so much”.

Evander Kane has awesome speed, noticed when he entered the zone a few times.

Risto is awesome.  He was in the corner fighting for the puck with 2 Stars guys, won that battle and got to another Sabre – again, right in front of us.

The Tyler Ennis penalty was against Jamie Oleksiak – the 6’7” 250lb former 1st rounder fringe NHL player who beat up Deslauriers.  Oleksiak has potential with his size, but is a “gentle giant” and used his body to get around Ennis — once he had a little position, Ennis really had no chance, but should not have taken the penalty, Oleksiak has minimal offensive ability and another Sabre could have taken the angle.

On to Eichel.  We showed up early to watch the pre-game skate and my friend’s comment “man, Eichel is BIG, just wait 2 years and he will get so much stronger”.  He had some quality opportunities, there was a one-timer from the high slot which was amazing and right in front of us — looked like a rocket.  There may have been something in my way, but on that play when he went through 2 Stars, it looked like he took 2 steps and was at full speed and took those Stars by surprise.  The Stars defenders seem to get a small piece of him and that affected his balance, so he did not come in with all his power.  I hope that as he gets even stronger, he will shrug off those defenders and get more on the puck. I did not notice many zone entries by Eichel.  He seemed to play in the corners more than I notice on TV, and did not seem to play closer to the net/slot/shooting lane for a good setup/rebound.  My buddies (again, long time season ticket holders) were shocked by Eichel’s speed, but did not see enough of it — this game, he did not seem to find space for himself.

Crappy game against a good team, but before we aspire to be the Stars, realize they missed the playoffs last year despite having Benn/Seguin.  I prefer to aspire to be the Blackhawks.

We are better than last season, but still have a long way to go.  GO SABRES!  GO BILLS!

Did anyone else notice a play in the second period when the Sabres had a three on two and Kane took the puck toward the Dallas line and ignored Eichel all alone on the far side? A quick pass and Eichel would have been sprung. Instead Kane carried in and took a shot from the high slot through traffic while Eichel remained statue-like at the blue line. Kane was a puck hog, but I thought Eichel's reaction was troublesome as well.

Did anyone else notice a play in the second period when the Sabres had a three on two and Kane took the puck toward the Dallas line and ignored Eichel all alone on the far side? A quick pass and Eichel would have been sprung. Instead Kane carried in and took a shot from the high slot through traffic while Eichel remained statue-like at the blue line. Kane was a puck hog, but I thought Eichel's reaction was troublesome as well.

Jack banged his stick on the ice, not to call for the pass, but seemingly in frustration that he didn't get it, after the fact. I commented on it when it happened I think

Kane. Doesn't have good peripheral vision. That's his weakness. I don't think it is selfishness.

Kane. Doesn't have good peripheral vision. That's his weakness. I don't think it is selfishness.

Fair enough, but this time he looked right at Eichel. In any case, I would stop short of describing it as selfishness, despite the puck hog attribution. More like overconfidence, wanting to be the man, etc. Here's a screen shot:

post-136-0-92446900-1448229604_thumb.png

Edited by pASabreFan

Eichel did pretty much the same thing on the Gionta pay that everyone was whining about in OT a few games back.

Best thing about that play? The way Reinhart came across the blueline to create the line for Eichel that Kane should have exploited.

Little things like that are what I love about Samson's game.

Fair enough, but this time he looked right at Eichel. In any case, I would stop short of describing it as selfishness, despite the puck hog attribution. More like overconfidence, wanting to be the man, etc. Here's a screen shot:

attachicon.gifiyiyeichel.png

It seems we are now getting a glimpse into why Evander was on the 3rd line alot in Winnie.  I am starting to believe that Kane needs to be with linemates that will make room on the ice for him to do his thing.  He's not prone to setting up plays for them, so have them make room for him instead.  

Eichel did pretty much the same thing on the Gionta pay that everyone was whining about in OT a few games back.

Best thing about that play? The way Reinhart came across the blueline to create the line for Eichel that Kane should have exploited.

Little things like that are what I love about Samson's game.

Insight ... great observation. Space rarely just happens.

I thought Eichel was wide open on that, then Gionta just skated out of the zone. Eichel looked confused, trying to figure out what the hell Gionta was doing.

Edited by skaught

It seems we are now getting a glimpse into why Evander was on the 3rd line alot in Winnie.  I am starting to believe that Kane needs to be with linemates that will make room on the ice for him to do his thing.  He's not prone to setting up plays for them, so have them make room for him instead.  

I can't say I agree with these takes.

In fairness, I think it should be mentioned that Kane set Eichel up beautifully for two point-blank chances in the game that Jack couldn't cash on. Similar to when Jack set up Kane earlier in the season, only the opposite.

Edited by Thorny

I can't say I agree with these takes.

In fairness, I think it should be mentioned that Kane set Eichel up beautifully for two point-blank chances in the game that Jack couldn't cash on. Similar to when Jack set up Kane earlier in the season, only the opposite.

I agree with you, it gets awfully tiring reading the Eichel can do no wrong and if only Eichel had the puck threads.

Drove to Dallas for the game, it was pretty awesome meeting and spending some time with the Big Johnson.

Surprised by how many Sabres jerseys in the crowd. Our entire row in fact was Sabre fans. Pretty sweet, we tried to make some noise but we would have been heard pretty loudly on tv if we had been able to score. A few chances but just couldn't finish. Hopefully this doesn't become a year round trend.

Eichel, Reinhart and McCabe all had their moments but all made the expected rookie mistakes that the Stars pounced on.

The Stars have a very nice squad and Lindy has done a nice job this year coaching them up. A very sound team and productive. Mistakes get punished.

Johnson's non-save in the first period was SOFT. Played ok afterward, last 2 goals weren't his fault but it would be nice if he could break that soft goal habit.

Pluses, Reinhart is rounding into a very nice player, not explosive like Jack but plays a very sound game and many things he does on the ice gets overlooked I believe by most but not the coaching staff. I hope he stays on the Jack-Kane line.

Risto may actually be the best player on the ice for the Sabres. There isn't anything he can't do well and I'll be shocked if he isn't looked at as a top 3 defender EVER for the Sabres. Very impressed with this kid and he's only 21. Missed his best chance Saturday but just to have been in position for it was great.

O'Reilly is under appreciated for his skills but his hustle and determination is thru the roof. He didn't have a great game but a relentless worker no doubt.

Kane is dangerous on the ice. Not sure why anyone knocks this guy.

Eichel made some mistakes but dang is he explosive. Missed 2 chances from Kane but the blow by in the 3rd period past 2 Star defenders was a WOW moment, Star fans turned around and looked at us Sabre fans with a Holy S### did you see that play look. Sweet. This kid will be awesome to watch thru the years.

I believe Ennis will be ok but he just looks confused right now. He doesn't appear to know where his linemates will be at times. I really think he's just going thru one of those nightmarish stretches where everything he appears to do is wrong.

Moulson is bigger than I thought he was but he doesn't play big. Larsson is becoming quite the forechecker. I like his determination. Girgenson should be a big help to him when he gets back. Desalottabruises got his butt handed to him. He needs to fight smaller players.

First live NHL game I've seen in awhile, so although the outcome wasn't the best, just being at the game was awesome. I may make this a yearly trip.

I do not think it is a case of Eichel can do no wrong, but rather is everyone doing what they are supposed to do in this system.  In addition to the plays already mentioned, there was another where Kane carried the puck over the line and Jack had to wait at the blue line.  He was uncovered.  Instead of establishing possession in the zone and setting up the o, Kane skated into the corner, around the net and backhanded a pass to no one in front.  The stars grabbed it and took off.  Once Kane heads tot he corner, Jack is responsible for the high area.  Samson crashes, but was covered like a blanket.  The point is that Kane can be a bull in a china shop and doesn't create really good chances.  I think if he backed off trying to carry the puck to the net every time, the other two would find him for better scoring chances.  Samson and Jack seem to get that they have to be responsible position wise and are leaning that way when we gain the zone.  What that does however is make it more important to maintain possession instead of barreling to the net 1 on whatever and getting a one and done.  I think we all would like to see a bit more discipline all the way around.  At least I would.

Finally got around to finishing the game.

I'm done with trying to keep the pressure off Ullmark. He's so obviously better than Johnson that he should be named the starter.

Jack is frustrated. I agree with blue that HD should dial back the ice time a bit.

Kane and Bogosian have yet to really return. They're out there skating fine, but neither of them are a presence on the ice yet.

This one was kind of a snoozer, and I'm losing respect for Dan Dun the more I listen to him.

EVENTUALLY I'll be able to catch one of these games live.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.