GDT: Dallas @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 11/17/2015

WildCard

That is the 2nd goal Tyler Ennis has cost us.  This time it likely cost us a point.  I am ready to start cursing him for getting in offsides.

The coaches challenge sucks.  Tyler Ennis is still the goat tonight.  I hope the locker room starts a fine for this.

*pissed at Ennis*

In black and white it's easy to say that Ennis cost us those two goals but he was also influential in both goals scored. So if Ennis wasn't on the ice, are the goals even scored ? I'm not happy with what we are seeing from Ennis, although throughout his NHL career he has been a slow starter and has come on as the season progressed. IMO getting rid of your second leading scoring forward is not the answer to improving the team, no matter how frustrating it has been watching him at times.

I don't like the line with Ennis and Echiel, I think having 2 players that both like to control the puck the way they do on the same line is sort of counterproductive, it almost seems like they cancel each other out. I also haven't seen any real chemistry between them. Maybe DB is seeing something else, because he seems insistent on pairing them up. If they're going to stay together, I'd like to see Gus on the line, not Larsson or McGinn. 

How far is the NHL willing to go? How long before the pro game looks nothing like the game the rest of us play? 

The burn on this one was Lindy was going to call the time-out anyway. 

It was a what the hell challenge. 

Ennis didn't have a skate down, but he didn't have a skate down anywhere,

he jumped airborne to get through obstruction. 

A good lineman isn't going to blow that down. 

It wasn't a mistake. 

It just sucks. 

seriously, put an asterisk next to all his records. 

Are you saying it wasn't offside? I think this board needs to hash out the offside rule and talk about situations where the skate is above the line. The skate has to be in contact with the line for the player to be onside, no?

Darn missed the third's excitement taking a nap before overnite shift.... no comment on offsides but think its stupid to allow challenge for it. I am more interested in Eichel's weak offensive corner play. Is he worried about pissing off some knuckleheaded defensemen a la McDavid or is this his style, boy needs to learn how to hit on forecheck. Too many time other team's D has too much time and space against him imo.

Edited by North Buffalo

Maybe DB is seeing something else, because he seems insistent on pairing them up. If they're going to stay together, I'd like to see Gus on the line, not Larsson or McGinn. 

Maybe DB is hoping for chemistry to develop?    While I want to see Eichel on fire, I agree with DB experimenting with the lines early in the season to get a feel for who will work together and not;   He also has to give the lines time to mesh and sync for said chemistry to occur.    I wouldn't want him to change lines too often, because then Chemistry is lost.  

In other words, give it a little more time. If after a few more games the Eichel/Ennis line is still a dud,  then I'll be wondering myself why DB would keep them paired.  

Are you saying it wasn't offside? I think this board needs to hash out the offside rule and talk about situations where the skate is above the line. The skate has to be in contact with the line for the player to be onside, no?

I don't think you have to be touching the ice. But it tends to be easier to just drag the toe. You don't see a lot of guys doing what Ennis does. 

I don't think you have to be touching the ice. But it tends to be easier to just drag the toe. You don't see a lot of guys doing what Ennis does. 

You have to touch the ice. Just look at Ennis' last overturned goal. His skate hadn't "broken the plane", but his foot was off the ice.

It brings up an interesting question though. what if you jump onside and are 5 feet in the zone but haven't landed yet before the puck crosses. Is that offside?

Edited by SwampD

You have to have contact outside the line, otherwise you are offsides. Yes this sucks but the offsides wasn't even close there. Pretty obvious on replay. Maybe the Sabres need to make more effort there? That solves the other problem, doesn't it?

If you have one foot in the zone and one foot out of the zone (touching the ice), clearly not offside.  However, if you have one foot in the zone already and the trailing foot has been lifted off the ice, then yeah, offside.

Now, if you haven't yet touched the ice in the zone but you're over it (and not touching outside the zone), is that offside?

If you have one foot in the zone and one foot out of the zone (touching the ice), clearly not offside. However, if you have one foot in the zone already and the trailing foot has been lifted off the ice, then yeah, offside.

Now, if you haven't yet touched the ice in the zone but you're over it (and not touching outside the zone), is that offside?

It is not. This is not a "breaking the plane" rule. Contact with the ice must be made.

It's offside, but like icing, there should be some discretion. Taking away all discretion from linesman is bad for the game.

From what I saw, Ennis is getting obstructed without the puck at the blue line. Defender sticks out leg. Instead of keeping a skate down and potentially getting jackknifed, he jumps. 9 out 10 times, a linesman lets it go. This changes the game IMO.

In black and white it's easy to say that Ennis cost us those two goals but he was also influential in both goals scored. So if Ennis wasn't on the ice, are the goals even scored ? I'm not happy with what we are seeing from Ennis, although throughout his NHL career he has been a slow starter and has come on as the season progressed. IMO getting rid of your second leading scoring forward is not the answer to improving the team, no matter how frustrating it has been watching him at times.

I don't like the line with Ennis and Echiel, I think having 2 players that both like to control the puck the way they do on the same line is sort of counterproductive, it almost seems like they cancel each other out. I also haven't seen any real chemistry between them. Maybe DB is seeing something else, because he seems insistent on pairing them up. If they're going to stay together, I'd like to see Gus on the line, not Larsson or McGinn. 

Hot Daniel seems to really like matching fast players with Eichel.  I think it's creating two problems: The other fastest forwards on our team (Ennis, Kane) are both generally puck carriers like you said.  Ennis is more of a playmaker, so I see the logic with giving them time together. The other problem is that it encourages Eichel to use his speed instead of controlling the pace of the game and finding the right pass.

He did put Moulson with Eichel and Ennis in the third.  We'll see how long that lasts.  I'm sick of seeing Eichel center pucks from the boards and nobody being there, so Moulson should do nicely with him.

O'Reilly is a big time player.  Second straight night that he's scored a big third period goal.  I can't wait to see this team in the playoffs.

Samson showing off some more offensive prowess on the two goals. Shame that the 2nd one got disallowed. 'Twas a beaut.

It's offside, but like icing, there should be some discretion. Taking away all discretion from linesman is bad for the game.

From what I saw, Ennis is getting obstructed without the puck at the blue line. Defender sticks out leg. Instead of keeping a skate down and potentially getting jackknifed, he jumps. 9 out 10 times, a linesman lets it go. This changes the game IMO.

Uh, no. Offsides is pretty cut and dry. There isn't supposed to be discretion.

It would be cool if a coach called the challenge then the ref gave an ultimatum. Let the goal stand or go down 2 men because the offside was caused by an interference and should be a penalty.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Listened to Jeremy White this morning on GR and thought he nailed (similar to what D4rk has been saying).  Challenging the offsides from zone entry is like waiting until a 3-2 pitch is hit out of the park, and going back and challenging a 2-2 pitch in baseball to argue that the batter should've been out before he slapped a HR.  Where does it end? They also made a good point, that if we had taken a different shot, turned it over, and then Dallas has a breakaway and scores, we are not allowed to challenge that we were offsides on the other end.  So everything else that happens from that linesman's missed call is allowed to stand (i.e. a dirty hit, a penalty, a breakaway in the other direction, etc), but that goal is the only thing not allowed to stand. 

What's the point of the challenge again? because two or three teams got hosed on a breakaway/odd man rush last year?  Make it so it is only reviewable on the odd-man rushes or breakaways then!  once a team has established possession in the other zone, that offsides is a moot point. 

Also, Ennis was maybe 2 inches offsides, maybe.  I don't think it is necessary to throw the tomatoes at him.  In real time on TV, he looked onside to me.  They had to slow it down to see it.  

Why did Ennis make a slight error in the game of hockey?!?! Everything is supposed to be perfect!!

But he's been making a lot of those lately. He needs to slow down just a bit. His body has been moving faster than his brain, much like Afinagenov and much like himself (as someone already said) in the first half of last year.

Uh, no. Offsides is pretty cut and dry. There isn't supposed to be discretion.

I disagree. obstruction away from the puck on entries on short handed teams isn't going to get called. Ever.

And it happens on every entry.

Linesmen have a tremendous sense for the game. You can get pulled across, impeded, pushed. They've always let some things go. A guy jumps to save his legs, It doesn't get called. That's discretion, no linesmen has that quick a call.

But he's been making a lot of those lately. He needs to slow down just a bit. His body has been moving faster than his brain, much like Afinagenov and much like himself (as someone already said) in the first half of last year.

I know Ennis hasn't been playing great, but I'm sick of people ripping on him for tiny errors on a play that would've ended in a goal in every other NHL season ever.

I know Ennis hasn't been playing great, but I'm sick of people ripping on him for tiny errors on a play that would've ended in a goal in every other NHL season ever.

Fine. I'll rip on him for the dozen other times last night where he didn't make anyone on the ice with him better and kept losin possession because he was playing by himself.

(He's now a lock for a ten game scoring streak)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.