Sabres' Coaches - Attention to Detail

LGR4GM

It occurred to me we lacked a coaches thread that discussed what we thought of our new coaching group.  John Vogl provided the story and prompt to discuss it. So far this year I have liked what I have seen from the coaching staff. Obviously there was and is a learning curve.  It is clear some guys are having issues learning the new system and how to play inside of it.  I was interested to hear we did keep one coach from last year, the video coach.  He is one of the ppl responsible for helping get our PP out of the funk it was in for years.  Anyways, hopefully this stimulates some discussion on how our coaching staff has performed thus far.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/11/15/sabres-assistant-coaches-all-about-teaching/

“I feel like our coaches have coached a year’s worth already,” Bylsma said in First Niagara Center. “This team’s in a process of development and growing and learning, and our coaches are a big part of that and growing and learning together as well.”

Edited by LGR4GM

Great read on Bylsma and Buffalo's improved Crosi so far this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/bylsma-helps-sabres-take-a-big-step-forward-1.395218

"Their evolution from frustratingly (and purposely) incompetent to structured and competitive in such short time is unlike anything we have really seen before."

Edited by Derrico

Great read on Bylsma and Buffalo's improved Crosi so far this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/bylsma-helps-sabres-take-a-big-step-forward-1.395218

"Their evolution from frustratingly (and purposely) incompetent to structured and competitive in such short time is unlike anything we have really seen before."

Bylsma can’t employ his strategy without talent, but it has been interesting to watch the new look Sabres develop under his watch. The biggest change has been the team’s defensive approach in the neutral zone. Forwards are more aggressive in their attacking of advancing puck carriers, harassing them into tough areas of the ice where they are forced to either dump the puck in, or risk turning the puck over entirely.

Defencemen also play a big role here. Under Nolan, Buffalo’s pairings – either by design or by accident – played passively against opposing puck carriers, opting to trade protection of the ‘home plate’ area around the net for free entry into their defensive zone. Bylsma’s pairings do the opposite. They attack puck carriers at each level – a more aggressive approach that’s certainly high-risk, but also high-reward.

:worthy:  :beer:

Good point.

Also, everyone says Bylsma won because of Crosby and Geno. Look how the Penguins are fairing this season with a new coach and most of the same players.

Eh, a lot of the same names, but not necessarily the same players, if ya catch my drift. These guys have a lot more NHL miles on them than when Pittsburgh won the Cup.

Perhaps more importantly, the current depth players are worse across the board IMO. Prime Jordan Staal vs Brandon Sutter? Not even close, and that's just one example.

We know how important depth is for long playoff runs, and Chicago showed how important it is to have young players on cheap contracts play significant roles. Pittsburgh's depth got old and/or traded, and they haven't drafted well to replace them.

Eh, a lot of the same names, but not necessarily the same players, if ya catch my drift. These guys have a lot more NHL miles on them than when Pittsburgh won the Cup.

Perhaps more importantly, the current depth players are worse across the board IMO. Prime Jordan Staal vs Brandon Sutter? Not even close, and that's just one example.

We know how important depth is for long playoff runs, and Chicago showed how important it is to have young players on cheap contracts play significant roles. Pittsburgh's depth got old and/or traded, and they haven't drafted well to replace them.

Sutter is a canuck now, wouldn't even know who is on their third line.

edit: Bonino , Fehr or Cullen I guess

Edited by Huckleberry

They're criminally wasting Malkin and Crosby, and they've been doing it for years. It's almost a travesty 

One of the commenters stole Big Johnson's Avatar though! ;)

Well at least he thinks like I do...

Maybe the next detail they can attend to is going offside.

I can pretty much guarantee it.  Also... wasn't it Ennis that went offside on Kane's goal?  Sit him a game.  Seriously.

If it's true we were gypped out of power play time because of the offsides review, then that's a detail our coaches and players failed to play attention to.

We weren't. In fact, it looked like they added an extra second or to back after the review.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.