The politics of terrorism

Hoss

I'll butcher this one ...

Amid reports of linkage to Syria / ISIS, the French Council of the Muslim Faith condemns the "odious attacks".

Grateful for, and respectful of, that ... in all sincerity ... I am sensitive to the challenges of leading people with extremist wings.

Edited by N'eo

Really sucks when thugs claiming to follow the same religion you do #### their understanding of it up this badly. (Based on initial reports it was "Islamic" terrorists.)

NS - please realize that was in no way a shot at you nor your religion. It was purely aimed at the jackals that are no better and no more than Hells Angels w/ turbins instead of Harleys.

I understand what you are saying Taro.

There are about 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide.  We are bound to have a few nutbars in the lot.  The problem is these crazies are willing to die, but even more warped is the fact that they are very willing to kill in the most hideous ways, in the most perverted interpretation of Islam.

Now imagine what I face, from some, even some of my closest friends, as a Canadian convert to Islam.

It's about time a Muslim group condemns ISIS.

It's been happening at every step of the way. Muslim groups have almost universally voiced their displeasure with the attacks. There is a discussion to be had about whether enough is being done from their end, but condemnation has never been an issue.

I started this thread with the intention of providing information about Paris and the attacks.

Honest and fair request (NOT a demand): can we keep the politics out of this thread? This is about the attacks themselves. I don't see a need to push an agenda here.

Edited by Hoss

Now imagine what I face, from some, even some of my closest friends, as a Canadian convert to Islam.

One of my wife's best friends is a Canadian Muslim. Whenever the religions comes up, we can compare and kid like rational adults. So, I'm not sure what you face. Unless it's something akin to facing the Christian and Catholic bashing that has been institutionalized in popular culture for decades now.

It's been happening at every step of the way. Muslim groups have almost universally voiced their displeasure with the attacks. There is a discussion to be had about whether enough is being done from their end, but condemnation has never been an issue.

I started this thread with the intention of providing information about Paris and the attacks.

Honest and fair request (NOT a demand): can we keep the politics out of this thread? This is about the attacks themselves. I don't see a need to push an agenda here.

A message board is for discussion. We all have access to the world's media without this thread.

Apparently Jihadi John was killed by a drone earlier today or last night. Could these attacks be retaliation or are coordinated attacks too complicated to carry out at such short notice ?

Highly unlikely. The thought is that this was an intricate attack that would've taken a long time to prepare for.

This is an inherently political thread. It's about an act of mass murder carried out by bloodthirsty Muslim lunatics to achieve political ends.

SFiNS, it gives me no pleasure to say it, but the pathologies besetting world Islam run far deeper than "a few nutbars."

As I've said many times, there is a war going on. Europe is literally being overrun. It has stuck its head in the sand for a generation and is paying the price now -- and it's going to get much worse there before it gets better, if it ever does. And I hope no one here thinks we are immune. They are going to try to attack here too, and they aren't going to stop until they are stopped by force.

This is an inherently political thread. It's about an act of mass murder carried out by bloodthirsty Muslim lunatics to achieve political ends.

SFiNS, it gives me no pleasure to say it, but the pathologies besetting world Islam run far deeper than "a few nutbars."

As I've said many times, there is a war going on. Europe is literally being overrun. It has stuck its head in the sand for a generation and is paying the price now -- and it's going to get much worse there before it gets better, if it ever does. And I hope no one here thinks we are immune. They are going to try to attack here too, and they aren't going to stop until they are stopped by force.

Can you kill a cause/idea though? You can keep wiping them out all you want, a new organization will just take their place unless you provide stability and domestic leaders to those countries

What a horrifying situation.  May we all stand with and offer our heartfelt sympathies to the French during this tragedy.

How's that whole "force" thing been working for U.S. and the world so far?  I agree with Wildcard above and I think that recent history has shown that force is not the answer to this problem.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.