New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

Looking over some random numbers, the Sabres are a significantly improved team through their first 5 games. Corsi is way up, time of possession is way up, and shots against are way way way down. Statistically speaking we are under producing according to what should be our baseline. I would expect that we see a return to what we actually are sometime in the next couple weeks. The team will finally build chemistry and players will start to slide into their long term roles. The return on investment is coming.

I'm pretty sure the statheads will say that five games is much too small a sample size to say what we are. I think what you're suggesting is that if we keep up these stats, the wins have to come.

The guys you mentioned so far have a combined ZERO goals. Ellis has 3. Of course it is early but I think if those guys are not lighting up the AHL Murray is not going to waste their time in the bigs. Let them develop down there and bring up someone that can fit in. Hello Matt Ellis!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Matt Ellis only has a contract with the Amerks now. He was released from his PTO at the end of the preseason. They could just sign him again but I'm really hoping that means their plans are for him to permanently be a veteran leader in the AHL and he never, ever returns to the NHL.

Looking over some random numbers, the Sabres are a significantly improved team through their first 5 games. Corsi is way up, time of possession is way up, and shots against are way way way down. Statistically speaking we are under producing according to what should be our baseline. I would expect that we see a return to what we actually are sometime in the next couple weeks. The team will finally build chemistry and players will start to slide into their long term roles. The return on investment is coming.

The eye test from the Lightning game looked good. If we play like that most nights and start putting the puck in the net, I'd say we're solidly a playoff team already. But of course consistency is key. 

I'm pretty sure the statheads will say that five games is much too small a sample size to say what we are. I think what you're suggesting is that if we keep up these stats, the wins have to come.

Technically you want around 20 games before you can have any meaningful confidence in the overall stats. That said, in our case, it passes the sniff test. The forward additions and coaching change lead me to believe that the early numbers are probably indicative of where the final ones will end up.

The Sabres are making goalies look big. Not enough traffic. Not enough screeens and deflections. Really give any NHL goalie today a clear view and more than 95% of the time he'll stop the puck. 

This is what I was thinking last night -- Bernier made a lot of saves, but not many tough ones.

The Sabres are making goalies look big. Not enough traffic. Not enough screeens and deflections. Really give any NHL goalie today a clear view and more than 95% of the time he'll stop the puck. 

It's notable that the only goal TO scored during a game came on a weird deflection and bounce that couldn't be stopped even if the goalie had a slinky for a spine.

You realize we are one win off where you want them (but instead we are at tank-like numbers).    Think about how ridiculous of a statement that is.  

Sabres are 3 games behind 500 now, and 4th from the bottom of the NHL in points.  And still at the bottom of the Atlantic.  Tied for 3rd worst in the league in Goals For.  Their only 2 wins are against teams that, like the Sabres, are WELL below .500 themselves with an average WP of .071

Some improvements in Goals Against and Shots For -  Sabres are mid-league in those stats.  But so far the non-Tank season isn't looking much different than a tank season.  That needs to change and this team needs to start producing and get some wins against decent teams, not just the bottom feeders like Toronto and Columbus.  

It's still early enough in the year to not really worry about this.  The team is playing much better than they were last year.  The team has expectations again, but you don't go from 30th in almost every category to a playoff team IMO.  They are playing in a new structure and with the fluidity of the lines and changes that Bylsma is structuring it is understandable for a lack of knowing where players are on the ice.  However, I really do find it comforting that they are trying new schemes within the structure to make things spark.  Too many times last year were players in one role and not diversifying.  GO SABRES!

Edited by TheCerebral1

I'm convinced that anyone who thinks this season doesn't look much different from the last two hasn't actually watched a single second of the team play. Yes, they're still low on the standings, but they are hugely improved on the ice.

Also if anyone does think this team isn't vastly improved from last year, please raise your hand so I can put you on ignore.

The only issue I have seen is why is it mostly Reinhart constantly going into those so called dirty areas and going to the front of the net to screen the goalies. More players need to be involved in this. The other thing I have seen so far that is troubling is the lack of quality chances and I'm not talking last night. The game against the Leafs Bernier seen almost every shot and really only let up that fluke puck on its side shot by Kane. I get it they out getting more pucks on net and out shooting teams but they need quality chances over quantity.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Also if anyone does think this team isn't vastly improved from last year, please raise your hand so I can put you on ignore.

The Hindenburg arrives again, but this time it touches down before exploding. Improvement, yes. Still sucks to be a passenger on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.