New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

To the learned:

I have an observation that's neither praise nor criticism. Is my observation correct?

Kane is a different cat. I am used to seeing five guys perform as a unit and I anticipate each as the game plays out. When Kane's on the ice, I see an uber talent creating by himself and four others positioning to be successful situationally as he creates.

This isn't criticism! In fact, his singlemindedness is refreshing.

Am I on to something? If so, do we encourage this and ride its uniqueness? Who does he compare to?

While I'm not drawing any comparison, I had the same style feel when watching Ovechkin, especially early in Ovi's career.

I think you absolutely correct and it can be a good or bad thing for sure. As long as the coaches and his line mates understand it and find ways to take advantage of it, then it can be a strength

He needs to be the focal point of his line and play with guy who will get him the puck and not need to get it back, a guy who plays elite hockey without the puck.

Someday Reinhart will be his centre and all will be right in the universe.

Reinhart's play to Legwand prior to the Deslauriers goal was thing of beauty.

Thinking of Kane as the forechecker on that play, or as the finisher, should make you smile.

He does, but after carrying it for a while (and getting bumped aside by Kane on his way to get to it).

I'm seeing Reinhart and Domi at the WJCs.

Mark Pysyk will never be going to Rochester because he will never clear waivers.

Mark Pysyk won't be going to Rochester anytime soon because he's playing too well and the future is his. Handles the puck better than I thought also.

Brought up losing on purpose. Or *ahem* not trying on purpose?  Shame. Shame. Shame.

Yeichel, what are you talking about? I brought up the possibility that winning might not be priority one right now, based on DD's handling of the lines through two games. Thankfully Gio got wind of it and had a wildly successful players only meeting that nipped it in the butt.

Yeichel, what are you talking about? I brought up the possibility that winning might not be priority one right now, based on DD's handling of the lines through two games. Thankfully Gio got wind of it and had a wildly successful players only meeting that nipped it in the butt.

To the bolded: nice.

Saying that DD's handling of the lines fits into the bigger picture of GMTM trying not to make the playoffs (or being ok with not making the playoffs) is, to use a naughty word, silly.  And I still don't know what it has to do with the players only meeting.

I believe all the line juggling is Hot Daniel's way of doing science and trying to find player combinations that work.  He wants them to work so they can have success this year and make the playoffs.  You're right that winning is not priority one, development is.  But trying to win and trying to develop a team are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by qwksndmonster

To the bolded: nice.

Saying that DD's handling of the lines fits into the bigger picture of GMTM trying not to make the playoffs (or being ok with not making the playoffs) is, to use a naughty word, silly.  And I still don't know what it has to do with the players only meeting.

I believe all the line juggling is Hot Daniel's way of doing science and trying to find player combinations that work.  He wants them to work so they can have success this year and make the playoffs.  You're right that winning is not priority one, development is.  But trying to win and trying to develop a team are not mutually exclusive.

Did you not get the memo?

Silly is a ban-able offense. 

You have been warned. 

The interwebs police.

Mark Pysyk won't be going to Rochester anytime soon because he's playing too well and the future is his. Handles the puck better than I thought also.

Mark Pysyk has been playing well enough for the NHL for a year and a half now.  Spending last season up the road helped his development by keeping him out of the storm that was your 2014-2015 Buffalo Sabres, but he's been NHL-ready for a while now.

Its 5 games now...still the same problem.  And we are in an all too familiar place in our division...the basement.

I think these posts get to me the most (no offense).  Do you not see all the new players, the rookies, and new coaches on a team that finished dead last the past two years?  Do you really think 5 games is going to be enough to expect to see the results.  This season should have had an obvious "growing pains ahead" sign posted on it.  Not sure how anyone missed that.   

I've wondered if the merciful end of the tank and the arrival of Eichel, Kane, O'Riley et. al. might just lead to fan meltdown when the team didn't turn into the '87 Oilers immediately. 

The team is so, so much better than it's been.  Baby steps.  If we're still looking at 1.8 goals per game come the spring then I think it'll be worth asking some pointed questions.  I do not for one second think it'll come to that. 

I've wondered if the merciful end of the tank and the arrival of Eichel, Kane, O'Riley et. al. might just lead to fan meltdown when the team didn't turn into the '87 Oilers immediately. 

The team is so, so much better than it's been.  Baby steps.  If we're still looking at 1.8 goals per game come the spring then I think it'll be worth asking some pointed questions.  I do not for one second think it'll come to that. 

We should at least be clawing up towards .500; instead of taking up permanent, contented residence at the bottom of the Atlantic.  

Sabres are now 1 point behind Toronto at the bottom of the Atlantic... and are tied for 2nd worst in the Eastern Conference.  Those are still tank-like numbers.   

We should at least be clawing up towards .500; instead of taking up permanent, contented residence at the bottom of the Atlantic.  

Sabres are now 1 point behind Toronto at the bottom of the Atlantic... and are tied for 2nd worst in the Eastern Conference.  Those are still tank-like numbers.   

You realize we are one win off where you want them (but instead we are at tank-like numbers).    Think about how ridiculous of a statement that is.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.