New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

Everybody relax, we all want fireworks after the past two years and they will come eventually.

Keep in mind the oilers have played two games so far and have only "scored" one goal which was actually an own goal from their first apoearance. Our offense has scored two and they have zilch so maybe everything isn't ? I don't know, too much scotch tonight? I was at the game and it was a little disappointing to not see much offense but it will come, I hope. It must and it shall and it will.

Somebody make some noise in this joint!

I'm not gonna panic just yet but they have some tough games coming and if they want to have any shot at the playoffs they can't start the season slowly. We all knew it's gonna take time but this team could possibly be 0-5 before we face Toronto. And what happens if Toronto actually beats us. Hopefully getting Zach and Brian back it should get better. Both are solid players when they are in the lineup. What's with Reinhart's ice time going down. Wondering if he gets sent down.

:rolleyes:

Well, I too was expecting more than 1 goal per game on offense.

It didn't help that the Sabres started off against two of the better teams in the Conference. I'm sure things would have looked a lot better if the opening two games were against the Leafs and Flyers. 

We have to remember that this new group with all their new pieces has been skating together for less than a month. I am not concerned by the lack of chemistry at this point just as I would not be fooled if they came out guns a blazing.  

It didn't help that the Sabres started off against two of the better teams in the Conference. I'm sure things would have looked a lot better if the opening two games were against the Leafs and Flyers. 

We have to remember that this new group with all their new pieces has been skating together for less than a month. I am not concerned by the lack of chemistry at this point just as I would not be fooled if they came out guns a blazing.  

How do Olympic teams come together so quickly?

Jack Eichel had five right wingers in the Tampa game. It's almost like the objective right now isn't to win, it's to tinker. It would mesh with GMTM's infamous comment (please spare me any interpretations of his comment that ignore exactly what he said). And how DD is coaching right now should be fine. We're all preaching patience. The OP took some heat for what he wrote, but he's just one or two games ahead of all the rest if the Sabres keep losing.

Pegula has raised expectations alot.  The main raison I love buffalo is the underdog status.  But to many in buffalo have gone to believe money = succes.

Thinking money=success was the first mistake. Many were counting up Cups on Pegula Day. The second notion that will be tested in the next several years is that tanking=success. Again, the Cup banners are being envisioned. How will they arrange three Cup banners? Will two go to the left of the division banners and one to the right, or should all three hang together?

matter, can you edit your post to include the following poll:

Which is worse?

(1)  Two losses cause the fanbase to think the sky is falling.

(2)  Two losses cause PA to resurrect his bizarre conspiracy theories.

What conspiracy? That in Year 1 Murray might not be thinking playoffs and might manage accordingly?

What conspiracy? That in Year 1 Murray might not be thinking playoffs and might manage accordingly?

So the guy who likes to interpret everything that is said or done by the cities sports franchises wants to use one line in one interview as a verbatim mission statement?

How do Olympic teams come together so quickly?

Jack Eichel had five right wingers in the Tampa game. It's almost like the objective right now isn't to win, it's to tinker. It would mesh with GMTM's infamous comment (please spare me any interpretations of his comment that ignore exactly what he said). And how DD is coaching right now should be fine. We're all preaching patience. The OP took some heat for what he wrote, but he's just one or two games ahead of all the rest if the Sabres keep losing.

Thinking money=success was the first mistake. Many were counting up Cups on Pegula Day. The second notion that will be tested in the next several years is that tanking=success. Again, the Cup banners are being envisioned. How will they arrange three Cup banners? Will two go to the left of the division banners and one to the right, or should all three hang together?

Olympic teams play other teams put together for a short tournament. One of the reasons the hockey is more entertaining is because coaching is kept at a minimum out of necessity.

So the guy who likes to interpret everything that is said or done by the cities sports franchises wants to use one line in one interview as a verbatim mission statement?

Nope, just asking questions. I don't think there's anything really controversial about suggesting that Murray doesn't think he has a playoff team yet. However, to call myself on something, Murray made his comment in March, before acquiring O'Reilly and Lehner. Really, my mind is boggled that Eichel has had five different right wingers. Are we trying to ice the best lines to win games or going through some extended preseason that's going to last until October 2016?

Jack (is that is real name, or is it a nickname for John?) playing with 5 "right wingers" is more the product of the Sabres having only one legit right winger on the roster and he isn't playing right now.

I think the Sabres will end up playing just about everyone on the right wing and try to find anyone that can play there.

Jack (is that is real name, or is it a nickname for John?) playing with 5 "right wingers" is more the product of the Sabres having only one legit right winger on the roster and he isn't playing right now.

I think the Sabres will end up playing just about everyone on the right wing and try to find anyone that can play there.

It's John according to Wikipedia. I didn't know that. To your point, isn't that what preseason is for? Also, the lines were really clicking early in the game, but by midperiod Bylsma was changing things up.

Here's something else to chew on as we learn more about Disco Dan.

“I think we’re missing opportunities to put pucks in the net and go to the net and too many times we’re trying to pass it in the net,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said. “The example of that one goal we do score is we win a forecheck and we get a chance. A shot. We’re going to the net. We grab a rebound. It’s a battle there for a while. You’ve got three guys in the paint and he scores a goal. We need more of that.”

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/10/10/solid-teamwork-leads-to-deslauriers-goal/

Is Dan just being realistic about how goals are scored in the NHL in 2015? Does this approach squash creativity and discourage skill players? You see great goals being scored all over the league. Does a puck really have to bounce in off someone's ass after a six-man scrum? It was Glatt in the conservatory with his ass!

It's John according to Wikipedia. I didn't know that. To your point, isn't that what preseason is for? Also, the lines were really clicking early in the game, but by midperiod Bylsma was changing things up.

I think the off season is when the right winger situation needed to be addressed, but Murray can't do everything in one off season.

As far as in game coaching I think, while some of the line combinations seemed to be clicking, the bottom line is there was not enough scoring chances being created and this means that there will be tweaking of line combination during the game to see what might work better / best.  Preseason / practice will not do that, IMO.

What bothered me more about these games is all the dumping and chasing that is going on.   Rarely see someone try to carry the puck into the offensive zone.

Eichel , larsson and ritolainen are the only ones I've seen trying to do that.

I'm okay with getting the puck behind the defense. Especially against Tampa.

FIRE EVERBODY!!!

You want big money than you need to earn it. Sorry big name players show up on the score sheet. I like O'Reilly but if you want to be paid superstar money then you need to produce. I know they played two tough teams but I thought they would show more than they have in the first two games.

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!!

I'm okay with getting the puck behind the defense. Especially against Tampa.

Dumping and getting it back will be a trademark of this team this year. The weakness in that effort is the inability of Weber and Franzen to support by getting to the blue line and supporting. The opposition will simply fire it up the boards to get it out and then you are trapped in the o zone. Bogo should help a bit especially if we can split up those two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.