Rick Jeanneret - Play by Play

LGR4GM

I think it was a perfect storm. He got cancer and kicked cancer's ass. The tank "worked" and Jack Eichel and Murray's moves and Rick has seen surprise runs deep into the playoffs before. The arrival of Russ Brandon is the wild card. Brandon's smart enough to know the value of Jeanneret to the brand. I don't know if Black was that smart.

I've said it before. The only way he's coming out of that booth is in a body bag.

Edited by PASabreFan

That avatar.......... 

You're welcome!  :flirt:

I've said it before. The only way he's coming out of that booth is in a body bag.

At this point if RJ and his lovely wife are healthy, and the Sabres are competitive, I think this is the case.  RJ seems like he truly enjoys the game, and he has a great seat to one of the best sports in the world for a team he loves.  When they aren't a good team, he says it.  When they are a good team, the man gets excited. 

The arrival of Russ Brandon is the wild card. Brandon's smart enough to know the value of Jeanneret to the brand. I don't know if Black was that smart.

He was.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=679827

We are very lucky to have such a deep and talented pool of broadcasters in the Sabres organization,” said Sabres President Ted Black. “RJ is a hall-of-fame talent and we are thrilled that he will be with us for three more years as he winds down his prolific career. We are also excited to bring on Dan, who is a proven play-by-play talent that we know will be a capable successor to RJ. Having an up-and-comer like Dan and a broadcasting legend like RJ behind the microphone will be a great one-two punch for our Sabres broadcasts in the coming years.”

Bonus: here's a clip from Ted from an email exchange I had with him around that time, re: broadcasts.

With regard to the specific comments about the talent in general and Rick calling fewer games, I appreciate that the situation creates both a challenge and an opportunity.  The good news is that RJ seems to be energized by the reduced work load and, hopefully, that will prolong his career (and if I could spend some of TMP’s money to cryogenically freeze the dude and make him last forever, I probably would!)  I am really glad RJ came up with that idea over lunch at Chef’s last summer….

I think it was a perfect storm. He got cancer and kicked cancer's ass. The tank "worked" and Jack Eichel and Murray's moves and Rick has seen surprise runs deep into the playoffs before. The arrival of Russ Brandon is the wild card. Brandon's smart enough to know the value of Jeanneret to the brand. I don't know if Black was that smart.

He loves the team so much he wouldn't mind, just hope he can call us to the stanley cup.

He is one of the reasons I fell in love with this team, his passion for this team is like none.  He touched the inner parts of my soul when I first heard him.

Edited by Huckleberry

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.