1 Real Life Thing That Could Be MILT Ellis

Eleven

Milt Ellis: My 24 year old, well-seasoned, cast-iron frying pan.  Imbues a nice flavor in everything, dependable. Goes from range to the oven.  I've been tempted by other pans, with their no-stick, easy-cleaning excitement. But the flavor is never the same. I keep coming back to the tried and true. Everything that comes out of that pan just tastes better. 

Milt Ellis: My 24 year old, well-seasoned, cast-iron frying pan.  Imbues a nice flavor in everything, dependable. Goes from range to the oven.  I've been tempted by other pans, with their no-stick, easy-cleaning excitement. But the flavor is never the same. I keep coming back to the tried and true. Everything that comes out of that pan just tastes better. 

No fair. I didn't think I was allowed expound on why the mourning dove is the Milt Ellis of calling birds. Its call is smooth, predictable, comforting. It tells you everything you need to know without a hint of sing-songy pretentiousness. They are reliable and perennial, returning every spring on almost the same date. And everyone can imitate them.

Edited by PASabreFan

Name it.  I dare you.

Buffalo goal, scored by number 11, Gilbert Perreault.  Assists number 14, Rene Robert, and 7, Richard Martin.  Perreault, from Robert and Martin.  Time of the goal, 19:08.

If my youth had a chorus, a refrain, it would be this ...

MIlt wouldn't have just said "7," I don't think. Not as sure about the next comment, but wasn't it "assisted by..."?

Anywho...

The mourning dove, the Milt Ellis of calling birds

I believe you are correct on both counts.

If my youth had a chorus, a refrain, it would be this ...

Mine too.  Along with "PEAnuts cracker JACK"

Name it.  I dare you.

Buffalo goal, scored by number 11, Gilbert Perreault.  Assists number 14, Rene Robert, and 7, Richard Martin.  Perreault, from Robert and Martin.  Time of the goal, 19:08.

I think you nailed it with the possible exception of "First Buffalo Goal"....but memories are fickle creatures...

I was going to proffer a really well-made pair of raw denim jeans and a classic wool sweater from L.L. Bean. I've owned the former for a little over 10 years and the latter for maybe twice as long -- and they're both just marvelously reliable -- comfortable and comforting. 

But after the seasoned pan and the mourning dove, I don't know what there is left to say. Especially the mourning dove. Love that bit about how everyone can imitate one.

And I just realized ... I've often thought that the call of the mourning dove was also a loon call. 

I was going to proffer a really well-made pair of raw denim jeans and a classic wool sweater from L.L. Bean. I've owned the former for a little over 10 years and the latter for maybe twice as long -- and they're both just marvelously reliable -- comfortable and comforting. 

But after the seasoned pan and the mourning dove, I don't know what there is left to say. Especially the mourning dove. Love that bit about how everyone can imitate one.

And I just realized ... I've often thought that the call of the mourning dove was also a loon call. 

The loon... that's Jeanneret. I guess they're somewhat similar. Now, the mourning dove does make a dramatic sound when it's taking off and landing, I believe to frighten any predators. It's a high pitched whistling — and I just read it's actually the fluttering of the wings, not a vocalization.

I think you nailed it with the possible exception of "First Buffalo Goal"....but memories are fickle creatures...

I wondered about that as well.

The loon... that's Jeanneret. I guess they're somewhat similar.

I went canoe-camping at La Mauricie National Park in Quebec a couple weeks ago.  Saw many loons with their fierce red eyes on the beautiful lakes.  Their glorious wails can be very loud.. they can be mistaken for a coyote's!

Ah, quite so.

Also, the Song recording there is precisely the thing I can do with my hands (like, my one party trick) that I have, FOR YEARS, sometimes misstated as a loon's call.

:bag:

Ah, quite so.

Also, the Song recording there is precisely the thing I can do with my hands (like, my one party trick) that I have, FOR YEARS, sometimes misstated as a loon's call.

:bag:

Ah, jeez, I thought that was a weird thing only my brother and I did. When I was little, he taught me that. It took me months to actually do it.

You're talking about cupping your hands and blowing on the slit between your thumbs, right?

Ah, jeez, I thought that was a weird thing only my brother and I did. When I was little, he taught me that. It took me months to actually do it.

You're talking about cupping your hands and blowing on the slit between your thumbs, right?

Correct - that's the thing.

Also:

step+brothers_6151d3_3292376.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.