Roster review: #28 Zemgus Girgensons

dudacek

Zemgus Girgensons  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is Zemgus Girgensons’ eventual role?

• Physical, two-way first-liner: Rod Brind’Amour/Ryan Kesler
    • Big-game elite 2nd-liner: Mike Peca/Mike Richards
    • Excellent middle-six forward: Mike Fisher/David Legwand
    • Great third-liner: Andrew Shaw/Mike Grier

Not all of them.  But definitely that one.

Separately:  I voted (somewhat optimistically) for big-game 2nd-liner.  I love the Peca and Richards comparisons.

I voted the same on big-game 2nd liner.  I'd like him to have more offense than Peca.  I think he will continue to improve.

Separately, you're probably hazing the new poster, so that's great nfreeman. 

I understand these threads are to kill time in the off-season, this particular off-season makes them all that much more difficult to handle. The chemistry between all of these players and thier new coaching staff will be a major factor in how these guys play, or are perceived, as individuals.

Anyway, I, too, really dig the second line/Peca analogue. I agree with TBPhD that he lacks the natural scoring talent to be a "first liner", but all other signs point toward high end second liner. I like to think that on a contender, his line would be as dynamic and fun to watch as a true scoring line on the same team, but, obviously, bringing something different to the game than that scoring line.

I voted for excellent middle-six forward. As Girgensons develops I can see him fitting in nicely as the 2nd line RW (and even put in some spot-duty on the first line). If Girgensons ends up as our 3rd line center, I'm thinking we are going to have a perennial contender of a roster. He would undoubtedly fit in well in a role like that as well. His skill set lends itself to either.

• 4 months later...

On a great team Zemgus is a very solid 3rd liner. On a good team he's a decent 2nd liner. 

On this team Byslma has no idea what to do with him. 

To call him a bust is laughable...yesterday was his 22nd birthday for crying out loud.  He put up 30 points in 61 games on a horrible team last year so to say he's a likely 40-45 point guy (over 82 games) with strong two way play (why Byslma is using him as a shutdown forward, he is 5th in defensive zone starts among forwards) is completely accurate at this point. 

Note he's also shooting at 4.7% which if adjusted to his career numbers of 8.8% would work out to 3 more goals so far this year, which is a major scoring outburst for this team. 

So we're laying all the blame at Bylsma's feet then? 

It's not blame...maybe that's the best use of Girgensons. They do have other, more productive guys to get more offensive zone starts like Moulson, Gionta, Ennis...oh wait a minute. 

To me, Byslma is like the little boy sticking his fingers in the holes in the *(large retaining wall holding back water) but there are so many holes he doesn't know how to plug them all. Hence R O'R is playing like 46 minutes a game. 

*Sabrespace filters don't like the name for this that is a homonym for someone's sexual preference

Edited by Sakman

It's not blame...maybe that's the best use of Girgensons. They do have other, more productive guys to get more offensive zone starts like Moulson, Gionta, Ennis...oh wait a minute. 

To me, Byslma is like the little boy sticking his fingers in the holes in the *(large retaining wall holding back water) but there are so many holes he doesn't know how to plug them all. Hence R O'R is playing like 46 minutes a game. 

*Sabrespace filters don't like the name for this that is a homonym for someone's sexual preference

You can't say ####; you can't even call them (word rhyming w/ thespians); they're women in comfortable shoes. :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.