Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Which is why they would press charges?

Have they officially pressed charges yet?

They have not. Kane will have the cup at a private event today which makes me feel as though he's confident charges aren't coming today. But if the results are back and they're bad for Kane then he's just soaking up the last bit of freedom he has.

Maybe it's just me, but if there were any (I hate to bring in another hypothetical) heinous acts involved such as forced rape and/or kidnapping that the county/city would be stepping in to the point where there wouldn't be any settlements. I'm not implying anything, just thinking out loud. 

Maybe it's just me, but if there were any (I hate to bring in another hypothetical) heinous acts involved such as forced rape and/or kidnapping that the county/city would be stepping in to the point where there wouldn't be any settlements. I'm not implying anything, just thinking out loud. 

The DA will need a witness in order to prosecute, unless the entire thing is on video or something.

I've said a thing or two but frankly, I strongly dislike debating this topic when it's mostly speculation and what-if theories bandied about. I will wait until there are solid facts, as each situation is grey and different and worthy of separate consideration. 

That being said... 

I tend to err more on the side of SJW when it comes to rape. I'm not close enough to these people to really feel like I know if someone's lying or not. Sorry for the personal story here, but it's a woman's experience/point of view which is what I believe you are asking for. Just one woman's, but hey, aren't too many of us uterus owners in this place. 

I have struggled with understanding rape/sexual assault for years, as I immaturely harbored a "yeah well she was being a dumb slut" viewpoint as a defense mechanism. Victim blaming because it was "oh thank god that's not me, I'm smart". Awful, I know. Still kinda ingrained in me. Something very much like the "it's not Kane's fault really, how was he supposed to know she was too young/She's aware she's hot and underage in a place she shouldn't be and came on to him"

Then ###### happened to me again and again (starting around age 14) and it was a complete identity crisis.  It's fun to have a friend make a drink for you in college, you don't really want it, hand it to another friend, and he acts exaaactly like he's been roofied..... I'll have you know that I was fairly flirty, reasonably attractive and was always slinging dirty jokes around. Did I deserve it? Hell no I did not. And my lack of promiscuity doesn't give me a shining badge of defense that shouldn't also be extended to more sex positive people. 

Therefore, as a result of my own personal crap, I won't judge the alleged victim. I lean towards supporting the victim, even if there's a chance they're crying wolf. Too many men and women are unfairly dismissed for me to ignore them and side with the accused. I feel that's how "good people" like Cosby continued on- reputations. Kane is only getting the fire he is because he's got a bit of a spotty record, which makes it easier to believe he'd do this and pile on the accusations, which is of course, abhorrent as well. Put Toews in his place, we'd be having a different discussion (partly, not counting the legal discourse). Say someone accused my hockey idol Zetterberg of this- my heart would shatter into a billion pieces, but I'd still listen to the victim, shoving down those angry voices in me going "yeah right, damn golddigging ######!" 

I have experienced a lot of sexism (daily!) in my short time on this planet, and have experienced some pretty awful stuff that was then ignored/pushed away/blamed on me simply because I was expendable. And none of that was with a star athlete under a magnifying glass of media/national attention. 

Wait for some more solid information before judging anyone entirely. It's human to judge to some degree immediately, we are not without faults. It is also human to speculate, though it sounds to me like a lot of you have already made up your minds on the whole situation. Dial it back. Everyone. You weren't there. 

Also, I am terrible at arguing, so apologies if the ramble just got weird. I feel parallels to any rape case. I've got feelings, man!!! 

Much respect for comments!

I assume the lawyers involved can somehow suppress the release of information until both sides formally agree (or disagree) on the next step. If, say, they're working on a settlement, the release of any information prior to agreeing on a settlement could harm one or more of the parties involved.

In other news, I just heard WBEN call Kane a suspect, which I would think at this point is premature and perhaps worthy of a call from Kane's legal team.

If something like this ends in a settlement who pays all the fees that the tax payers absorb because of all the resources being spent by law enforcement? Not saying that is going to happen because nobody knows for sure what is going on but that just irks me. If she is a minor I don't think settling is even an option. If she is not a minor and agrees to settle then she is a glorified prostitute.

Again, I state this as a hypothetical to settling.

Another scenario that I may not have seen already mentioned: what of this girl/lady went back to Kane's willingly. Maybe she was drunk. Maybe like Kane she had a boyfriend/fiance/or even a husband. Now she knows she did wrong. So to take some heat off her she says it was forced on her. Regardless hire you spin it she ended up at Kane's house.

Now if she was 17 or under all bets are off and he is 100% responsible for his actions. Consensual or not. If this girl ends up being older then nothing would surprise me.

This is why I think the investigation is taking so long. They are investigating her as well as him. And if she isn't a minor they should be. Rape happens everyday and those that commit rape are the scum of the earth. However, gold digging happens everyday as well. Every angle on this needs to be investigated because two peoples lives are at stake.

She wasn't underage.

And on PA's news comment: the league didn't know to pounce until the initial word got out. News outlets have plenty of juicy details, but it's all unreportable, off-the-record stuff.

(Well, I'm assuming more than just one outlet knows certain details)

Edited by Hoss

I assume the lawyers involved can somehow suppress the release of information until both sides formally agree (or disagree) on the next step. If, say, they're working on a settlement, the release of any information prior to agreeing on a settlement could harm one or more of the parties involved.

In other news, I just heard WBEN call Kane a suspect, which I would think at this point is premature and perhaps worthy of a call from Kane's legal team.

He is a suspect.

The league is the one flexing their muscles to keep this quiet. They'll own anybody that leaks info.

I have a great appreciation for the fact that neither the police nor the DA's office is leaking much information, but what could the league do about it?

Not if she's bought off--that's what I thought he was getting at.

What I'm saying is if there is hard evidence of any heinous act regardless of a witness (besides the victim) the county/state is going to press charges. There won't be an opportunity for both parties to say, "How much to make this go away?"

I have a great appreciation for the fact that neither the police nor the DA's office is leaking much information, but what could the league do about it?

I also appreciate the manner the officials involved are handling this. Can they do this for everything? No need for them to say anything other than what they've said already until the facts come out.

If others involved feel the need to talk then that's fine - that's where most info comes from anyways. And I'm glad outlets have shown restraint in not reporting single-sourced info. Too many times there is no vetting process for the info. Hear it report it is a terrible way to operate.

Not sure what the league could do, but they're trying to make it seem like they can. Leaked info could be damaging to the process.

If something like this ends in a settlement who pays all the fees that the tax payers absorb because of all the resources being spent by law enforcement? Not saying that is going to happen because nobody knows for sure what is going on but that just irks me. If she is a minor I don't think settling is even an option. If she is not a minor and agrees to settle then she is a glorified prostitute.

Another scenario that I may not have seen already mentioned: what of this girl/lady went back to Kane's willingly. Maybe she was drunk. Maybe like Kane she had a boyfriend/fiance/or even a husband. Now she knows she did wrong. So to take some heat off her she says it was forced on her. Regardless hire you spin it she ended up at Kane's house.

Now if she was 17 or under all bets are off and he is 100% responsible for his actions. Consensual or not. If this girl ends up being older then nothing would surprise me.

This is why I think the investigation is taking so long. They are investigating her as well as him. And if she isn't a minor they should be. Rape happens everyday and those that commit rape are the scum of the earth. However, gold digging happens everyday as well. Every angle on this needs to be investigated because two peoples lives are at stake.

I think this is a bit of what got the thread going earlier about the hypothetical. Many were unwilling to accept the possibility.

Before anybody gets on my case, I'm not implying this is the case yet. It's just a possibility.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Welp. Anyone else want to tackle this one?  :wallbash:

They are going to scour this young lady's past. If she isn't pure as a saint then I doubt this gets very far because of the $$ involved.

Not saying that that is fair or not but that's just how things work.

Some poor(monetarily) schlub has different circumstances.He is often stuck with a court appointed asst DA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.