Propane grills

drnkirishone

What's you best advice on cleaning a charcoal grill, stainless grates.

I guess it's more difficult to ash the crud on charcoal.

I am asking for a friend.

One trick I've used in the past is to cut a potato in half and prep the grill before hand by rubbing the cut surface of the potato over the grill. The starch helps make the grill non stick to a certain degree. It sounds funny but it really does work. To clean I'll take an onion and cut it in half and rub the cut side on the hot surface of the grill. The moisture of the onion steams the grill clean. Moisture and some enzyme that exists ? Old wives method I heard one time. This really works as well. The other thing I do is just scrape the crud off with a hardwood scraper I fashioned in the shop. You can get fancy and notch it to fit the ridges of the grill or just use a block with an angle to give it a relatively sharp edge. On a propane grill I'll use all of the same methods. With propane I'll also use the furnace of hell method and just cook the shite off. I'm just real paranoid about wire brush bristles. 

The landfill you are throwing it into.

I put it out by the street and the junk pickers pick it up and take it to the metal recyclers.  I put a lawnmower out last week and it was gone in an hour.  (If it allays your green sensibilities, I had that lawnmower for 21 years).

I put it out by the street and the junk pickers pick it up and take it to the metal recyclers.  I put a lawnmower out last week and it was gone in an hour.  (If it allays your green sensibilities, I had that lawnmower for 21 years).

My dad did the same thing with his lawnmowers, my brother and I. After 21 years of being the lawnmower, we where gone in minutes cause we knew the old man would be out with the baseball bat in hand yelling....

GOT OFF MY LAWN!

not even close to a true story.

I started getting an odd whistling sound on one of my burners last night (the one that the electric start is connected to) and the grill wouldn't heat up very much.  So I know that this is either a leak or a problem with the tank itself.  The valve on the tank has been trouble, so I'm really hoping it's just the tank.  The handle can come loose when turning and hasn't felt right since day 1.  Is it a reasonable thought that the problem could be with the tank itself, maybe that it's not releasing enough propane?

I know that I need to do all the leak testing and whatnot, but it was late yesterday and I didn't have the time after shutting the grill off (valve is definitely sealed now though).

Usually I would suspect a spiders nest in the nozzle for the burner. It is a more common problem than most folks realize.

I did do a quick search for that yesterday and didn't see anything.  Certain parts are a bit tougher to get to on the grill though and I'll be checking over the full grill more this week.

• 7 months later...

So it looks like Weber is coming out with a new high end charcoal grill.  This teaser pic suggests it will provide the best of their standard kettle, performer with gas assisted light and smoker.  The consensus in the bbq forums is guessing that it will be a double steel walled kamado style unit to compete in the ceramic cooker (big green egg) market.  We'll see April 6th.

post-61-0-97728900-1459081877_thumb.jpg

So it looks like Weber is coming out with a new high end charcoal grill.  This teaser pic suggests it will provide the best of their standard kettle, performer with gas assisted light and smoker.  The consensus in the bbq forums is guessing that it will be a double steel walled kamado style unit to compete in the ceramic cooker (big green egg) market.  We'll see April 6th.

attachicon.gif12801675_10153678489073422_8014148038710587626_n.jpg

Want.

It's funny to see this thread today as I really needed a place to complain. I ordered a Weber 2200 with the overpriced stand (it's only overpriced if don't factor in the grousing my wife would do if she had to see the LP tank). Amazon Prime two day delivery,… mmm K.

It was supposed to show up yesterday, so I went to the website to track the delivery, and apparently, the grill was delivered. They left it in the mailbox.

Now, I know we get spoiled, and having stuff delivered right to our doorsteps in two days seems like our God given right, and I wouldn't even mind if they said it wasn't going to show up until Monday, just don't tell me that it was delivered, and that Amazon's packing methods have reached such a point that a grill can fit in the mailbox, when clearly I won't have a steak cooked on my new grill today.

Yup. $10 chimney starter fixes the whole time to cook thing. Wad up a couple pagesof newspaper for the bottom, pour the charcoal on top, light the paper, 10 minutes later dump it in the grill and start cooking. It really is that fast and easy. And no lighter fluid is a bonus.

might be a bonus,but that takes away all the fun, and that great taste too!

Can't believe nobody posted a Hank Hill yet

taste the meat,not the heat!

2 years ago when, the first spring I was in my new house I was looking for a new grill (old one was frozen to the deck when I was moving and it fell apart when I tried to move it) I found one at home depot, it was originally over $500 Canadian and I got it for under $300. It's a 3 burner with a side burner I never use, and it's what they called infrared (or something like that). Basically there a big plate that covers all the burners the heats up and radiates it, stops alot of flare ups cause nothing touches the open flame and it keeps found juicier. I had no intentions of spending a ton on a grill, and this one looked like a great deal for the price. It stays in the garage now and gets taken out when needed until I get my deck built. Even the cheap grills will last if taken care of and protected from the weather

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new Weber Summit charcoal grill is out, and although it looks like it has some cool technology and could put out some super serious BBQ, I think Weber missed the mark here.

At $1500-$2000 it's just too expensive. Heck, big green eggs are already considered too expensive and you can pick up an XL for less than the base model charcoal Summit.

http://www.weber.com/grillofalifetime

I'll admit, I want one.  But I'll never get one at that price.

That seems to be the consensus that I've been reading.  A lot of folks are hoping for Muffy to buy Chet one for Fathers day, but Chet soon gets tired of the hassle of charcoal grilling and some half price grills show up on Craigslist next year.

It's not so much the cook time, it's also the matter of how long the grill stays hot when I'm finished.  I've got kids, it's nice that by the time dinner is done the grill is cool enough to be near and/or accidentally touch.  Also, the clean-up is a PIA for every day grilling tasks.  If I'm smoking or slow cooking something sure it's completely worth it.  Most of the rest of the time?  Nope.

I completely understand the kid safety factor, but cleanup is no different between say a Weber one touch system kettle and a gasser. Scrape and oil grate while hot and you're done.

So weave...if you were to decide to spend over $1k on a charcoal grill/smoker, would you get the new Weber or one of these at an even $1k?

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/meadow-creek-sq36

Oh my.

I do want a Kamado style, which the Weber seems to be, mostly.  But that is an interesting grill.  I've had side boxes.  Hell, my current smoker is a side box, a vertical side box though.   But one at that quality level............ tempting.

Oh my.

I do want a Kamado style, which the Weber seems to be, mostly. But that is an interesting grill. I've had side boxes. Hell, my current smoker is a side box, a vertical side box though. But one at that quality level............ tempting.

Yeah I was tempted by this model awhile back, but ultimately held off. The Weber at $400 more is such a head scratcher, I guess they figure the Weber Summit name allows for commanding such a premium.

Yeah I was tempted by this model awhile back, but ultimately held off. The Weber at $400 more is such a head scratcher, I guess they figure the Weber Summit name allows for commanding such a premium.

They always use top notch materials. It may be a reasonable price with a reasonable profit margin.  I don't know.  I do know it is out of my price range though.

• 4 months later...

https://grillstock.co.uk/festival/featured/50-cooks-ten-weeks-weber-summit-charcoal-review/

A nice review of the Weber Summit Charcoal.  I'm still drooling over this grill.  A friend who works at a local Ace has it in stock and told me that he can work out a bargain too. It's pretty damn impressive in person, my wife gave me the ok to buy it and I can afford it in theory, but I just can't justify it....maybe some used craigslist models will begin showing up in the spring.

Also a friendly reminder to all the charcoal grillers out there to stock up on your Kingsford this Labor day weekend...big sales are everywhere.

https://grillstock.co.uk/festival/featured/50-cooks-ten-weeks-weber-summit-charcoal-review/

A nice review of the Weber Summit Charcoal.  I'm still drooling over this grill.  A friend who works at a local Ace has it in stock and told me that he can work out a bargain too. It's pretty damn impressive in person, my wife gave me the ok to buy it and I can afford it in theory, but I just can't justify it....maybe some used craigslist models will begin showing up in the spring.

Also a friendly reminder to all the charcoal grillers out there to stock up on your Kingsford this Labor day weekend...big sales are everywhere.

I've been irrationally drawn to that style as well, although I have no idea why. I assume the insulation keeps the interior temperature more stable for long-cooking items? In any case, I'll have to keep an eye out for the propane starter if I ever buy another charcoal grill. I never use mine (a very cheap and basic kettle) because it's not worth the time to light for small family stuff, and I don't have friends.

I've been irrationally drawn to that style as well, although I have no idea why. I assume the insulation keeps the interior temperature more stable for long-cooking items? In any case, I'll have to keep an eye out for the propane starter if I ever buy another charcoal grill. I never use mine (a very cheap and basic kettle) because it's not worth the time to light for small family stuff, and I don't have friends.

Yeah the insulation helps with holding temp for long cooks, plus it adds the advantage over traditional ceramic kamado cookers in that it's more responsive to vent adjustments to alter the temperature.  With a ceramic cooker if you overshoot your 225-250 target temp for a low and slow it will take forever to get the cooker temp back down.  Getting distracted while having a few beers and watching a game and starting a cook has resulted in this has happening to me more than a few times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.