Propane grills

drnkirishone

Let me add this..if you're typically only cooking dogs, burgers and chicken for the most part, by all means gas is definitely the way to go.  If you like to get more adventurous and versatile with minimal time sacrifice then you'd be better served going charcoal IMO.  

I'm the other way around, I don't like to bother firing up the charcoal on a weeknight if its only going to be dogs or burgers.  I'll pull out the cast iron and just cook 'em on the gas stove.

edit edit: I cant speak about the 210 I don't have experience with it and have no idea what cooking on it is like. But what I can speak to is those damn porcelain coated grates!

How do you clean those porcelain coated grates?  If you have SS grates - go to town with a wire brush.  But besides a nice high burn on the porcelain; what do you do?

How do you clean those porcelain coated grates?  If you have SS grates - go to town with a wire brush.  But besides a nice high burn on the porcelain; what do you do?

Hit them with the heat.  Then the wire brush to scrape off the carbon.  Then, if desired, you could wash them by hand or in the dishwasher.

The porcelain's only there to prevent the crappy iron underneath from rusting.  It's ok.  Use a grill brush that has brass bristles, as it'd soft enough not to rip apart the porcelain.  Do not use a metal scraper on porcelain.

I know what it's there for.  I wouldn't even use brass on porcelain.  One nick and the rusting starts.

I've only ever done the former.

Eithers fine as long as the previous posts are adhered to, no metal brushes or stainless steel wool pads. Heat to burn of crud, or if cool a little Easy Off  and a paper towel then rinse with water. Make sure to preheat the grill before cooking after using Easy Off to burn off any lingering cleaners.

I took liberties and assumed a beer and high heat for a few minutes would be your choice, thus the chose wisely comment. Work, stealing cleaning products from under the sink and no beer to get a simple task done are usually frowned upon from those not from Nova Scotia.  :nana:  

I have a friend that puts them in his oven in his house when he does the self cleaning thing.

You've seen the answers. High heat burn off is the way to go. You don't need any chemicals imo like easy off unless your doing a thorough cleaning including the heat guards and flavorizers and scraping out all the crud and warshing it down.

I do a burn and wire brush. But brushing is what leads to the description by weave. Different manufactures call for different brushes. SS or Brass bristles but they all will chip and rust. The curse of porcelain coated grates.

And now with the SS grates I've read the way to go is shut off when you're done cooking and then pre heat and clean next time. That is going to take some getting used to for me and so far, I'm not digging it. I want t o burn off and scrape my grill so It's ready to go next time and if I'm doing fish, I can put the fish grate on right away and pre heat it.

Trial and error with any new grill and it seems grates too!

I know what it's there for.  I wouldn't even use brass on porcelain.  One nick and the rusting starts.

I use tri bar weber brush on both grills but that is a reason I hate the porcelain coated. Rusting Ugh. Wish Weber would still just do what they did with cast iron and you season it. Of course if you don't, argh, rusting! LOL

It will not be an issue for me anymore as I've converted to the SS grates. Even found a cool cleaning tool called Grill Floss but not too sure I would recommend it yet. It' s a little funky but it is good for chunky residuals for sure. If interested I can provide a link lol.

I have a friend that puts them in his oven in his house when he does the self cleaning thing.

That friend is misguided if he's doing that with the porcelain coated grates. Old school grates sure, but porcelain coated he is wasting his time. Although if he doesn't brush then I guess it would help but I can't imagine not brushing off the crud.

That friend is misguided if he's doing that with the porcelain coated grates. Old school grates sure, but porcelain coated he is wasting his time. Although if he doesn't brush then I guess it would help but I can't imagine not brushing off the crud.

Why?

I know there was some grill talk in another thread but I couldn't remember what one and I figured a seperate thread could be worth this discussion.

I am looking to replace an old 3 burner model. Wanted some recommendations on some good value models in the 150 to 300 dollar range or at the least things to look for in that range that add to durability

I bought a half propane/charcoal at Walmart this year. Was 200.00, good quality. Love having the option.

Why?

Because there is no need to season them because it's porcelain coated. It isn't the same as if it were just like the old cast iron grates where seasoning is appropriate.

That porcelain blocks the entire process of seasoning them.

So if they are porcelain coated the only benefit of putting them in the oven on self clean would be to ash up any crud on them.

If they are not porcelain coated then they could be seasoned with oil and put in the oven.

Because there is no need to season them because it's porcelain coated. It isn't the same as if it were just like the old cast iron grates where seasoning is appropriate.

That porcelain blocks the entire process of seasoning them.

So if they are porcelain coated the only benefit of putting them in the oven on self clean would be to ash up any crud on them.

If they are not porcelain coated then they could be seasoned with oil and put in the oven.

Yep. That's why he does it.

I'm truly impressed if you can get that use. I usually just dump automatically after two burns, but one thing I wish my performer had is an adjustable grate. I told Grant at Ed Youngs which is where I bought both of my Webers that I was going to be in trouble when I got home.

Do you use charcoal baskets with yours?  I sometimes only fill up one basket, but even with two it's not that much charcoal and I can get the indirect side to the 350 range where I like it.  I'd say two baskets full is maybe equivalent to a full chimney starter load, and I probably don't get the best air flow when I let the ash catcher fill up completely to be honest.  But I mainly use my performer now for the quick cooks and the more involved cooks like pizza, woking (there is a wok accessory for the weber btw, yet another versatility advantage) or long smokes are all on the big green egg.

For cheap grate height adjustment I've seen some people use fire bricks to raise the charcoal baskets to directly under the grate for high temps sears, and for getting meat farther away from heat source by using the baskets on top of the regular grate then placing a second grate on top of the baskets for smoking butts, ribs etc.

I do have the rotisserie attachment for my performer that I use a lot.  I make beef on weck using the rotisserie.  Phenomenal.  The regular weber kettle rotisserie is not compatible with the performer, but these guys make one that is, which is what I have:

http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/22-5/

If you haven't been here yet, it's a great forum / resource:

http://weberkettleclub.com/

Edited by Claude_Verret

I understand.

But FFS, these days, I use my grill to cook dogs and burgers.  It's not like the old days, you know?

Is anyone else of the opinion that a grill is the wrong tool for cooking burgers?

I switched to 100% cast iron griddle for burgers a few years ago and can't go back. I just can't stand watching all that flavor drip down into the fire.

Is anyone else of the opinion that a grill is the wrong tool for cooking burgers?

I switched to 100% cast iron griddle for burgers a few years ago and can't go back. I just can't stand watching all that flavor drip down into the fire.

This message brought to by Cardiology Group of Western New York. We look forward to your business.

This message brought to by Cardiology Group of Western New York. We look forward to your business.

Ha, nice!

For some reason, I *never* cook burgers in a pan. I have started to use fattier beef for burgers though (down from 93/7) and that's made a big difference in how much they shrink up.

I have done the cast-iron skillet steak method, which did turn out well.

:lol:

Ha, nice!

For some reason, I *never* cook burgers in a pan. I have started to use fattier beef for burgers though (down from 93/7) and that's made a big difference in how much they shrink up.

I have done the cast-iron skillet steak method, which did turn out well.

LDL 50

HDL 120

105/60

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.