Propane grills

drnkirishone

Plus that's an extra 10 minutes of serenity with a beer out back waiting for chimney to do its thing.

Agreed with everything except the starter laced briquettes. I may just be extra sensitive, but starter fluid chemical taste ruins the food for me.

Ah, another married man.

Yup.  $10 chimney starter fixes the whole time to cook thing.  Wad up a couple pagesof newspaper for the bottom, pour the charcoal on top, light the paper, 10 minutes later dump it in the grill and start cooking.  It really is that fast and easy.  And no lighter fluid is a bonus.

Plus that's an extra 10 minutes of serenity with a beer out back waiting for chimney to do its thing.

Agreed with everything except the starter laced briquettes. I may just be extra sensitive, but starter fluid chemical taste ruins the food for me.

Agreed on the starter fluid and/or "match light" impregnated briquettes, they taste a little funky to me too.

Gas/propane vs charcoal: I love charcoal. I love the process. I must be doing something wrong if it only takes 10 minutes to start with a chimney for you guys, it's more like 20-30 minutes between walking out into the garage and having a surface I can cook on. Nonetheless, a friend of my wife gave us a small propane grill and I cook far more often on that then I ever did on the charcoal. I've only used the charcoal a couple times since when making paella. I go out to the garage and light the propane grill, by time I go back inside and unwrap whatever I'm cooking and come back out it's ready to go.

Grant is the man! at Ed Youngs. Cool dude and knows his Weber stuff.

Weber Performer in that range. 

He's the dude I talked to!

good info guys thanks. one question on the webers. the E models seem to be cheaper compared to the S models. the only difference I am seeing is the the E has ceramic iron cooking grates and the S has stainless steel. is the S models worth the extra money? or is it more a preference thing?

He said this, which makes sense, that the porcellained iron has a shorter life than the stainless grate.  Probably, the first time you replace the grate 4-5 years down the road with regular use, you'd be paying the difference on the stainless model.  

Sometimes, I think, well, I'll probably be able to afford alot of things in 5 years that I can't afford now, so the cast iron doesn't bother me much.  Plus, I like its cooking properties, specifically, heat retention, just from my own kitchen experience.

good info guys thanks. one question on the webers. the E models seem to be cheaper compared to the S models. the only difference I am seeing is the the E has ceramic iron cooking grates and the S has stainless steel. is the S models worth the extra money? or is it more a preference thing?

I have an e 330. But whoa whoa whoa that is not the price range you spoke of. Anyways imo the grill is great but the grates are junk. Grill is five years old and I'm on my third set of grates. The third one being Stainless Steel. I swapped the flavorizor bars at the same time and am never looking back. My bro in law just bought a special edition ep 330 that comes with the SS grates and flavorizor bars. I would not buy the all SS model. The general price is $849 for that model and he got his at value hardware assembled for $749 on sale which they never do!  

But you are a long way in price from where you stated. You're also a long ways toward a long term grill if you can bump your price to that level.

I have an e 330. But whoa whoa whoa that is not the price range you spoke of. Anyways imo the grill is great but the grates are junk. Grill is five years old and I'm on my third set of grates. The third one being Stainless Steel. I swapped the flavorizor bars at the same time and am never looking back. My bro in law just bought a special edition ep 330 that comes with the SS grates and flavorizor bars. I would not buy the all SS model. The general price is $849 for that model and he got his at value hardware assembled for $749 on sale which they never do!  

But you are a long way in price from where you stated. You're also a long ways toward a long term grill if you can bump your price to that level.

I was browsing the spirit lines and the e210 is over my stated price range by like a $100.... but it is sounding like it may be worth it in the long term

I'm getting a 2200. Just haven't done it yet. About a month ago, I threw away my big home depot special that I hated and never used and just put this

attachicon.gif713G5h35qML._SL1415_.jpg

on a table on my deck. I have never grilled more in my life. I'm thinking that a Weber Q will be a nice replacement and this one can go back in the camper.

my wife an I use this... its 19.95 at wal mart.. I hate  walmart but.. its only there.. the rest cost over 40... I use thew same box ox lavarocks as we just replace the grill and burner every couple years..  easy to move with ... works as good as any ridiculous big grill

we are good at being vegans and pescaterians but cant sustain the moral high ground.. if yr not in buffalo  where there is good meat and dogs a lot of places.. find a local meat guy in town to get grass fed ground chuck ... should be under 4.99 a lb at the most... the rest is a rip... no poisons, preserves or antbiotics... awesome.., the supermarkets are death traps... it is truly amazing...you can get wholesale fish and better meat if you get deliveries at a business and not a residence (usually 150 min) AND SAVE 50%  on the 4.99 and 7/8 lb for snapper and mahi.. they will sell to anyone who understands their limitations...

pay as little to live well as possible, its your right as long as all who do the work are paid more than living wage, the idea that we saw ground chuck in the publix is almost 8 dollars a lb after it being 3.29 for a decade until it started its rise 2 years ago is sickening to do to poor families..

. water is another completely separate topic as we reach a strange point where life must change.. figured I would throw my 2c in with bad grammar and all.  have a great summer

He's the dude I talked to!

He said this, which makes sense, that the porcellained iron has a shorter life than the stainless grate.  Probably, the first time you replace the grate 4-5 years down the road with regular use, you'd be paying the difference on the stainless model.  

Sometimes, I think, well, I'll probably be able to afford alot of things in 5 years that I can't afford now, so the cast iron doesn't bother me much.  Plus, I like its cooking properties, specifically, heat retention, just from my own kitchen experience.

LOL Grant is a good guy and very willing to help and offer good suggestions.

The original grates that came on my grill lasted a few years. The replacements they gave me under warranty which were different, lasted one year and were complete garbage. Now my bro in law shows up with my grill but it came with SS grates and flavorizer bars. So it's the same grill I have now lol. If you are buying one of these Webers do yourself a favor and get the special edition model that comes with the ss grates but the enamel lid.

I have to say I agree with you about the cooking properties of the cast iron. But the problem is the grates are porcelain coated cast iron. And I have found that combo sucks as it always rusts. Over different grill companies too.

So now I'm burning on these ss grates and honestly my biggest fear was searing. It really is no issue, especially on my e330 with sear burner and clean up is so much better and durability is unquestionably better.

I was browsing the spirit lines and the e210 is over my stated price range by like a $100.... but it is sounding like it may be worth it in the long term

I would agree with this. But if you can spring for what I'm talking about, long term expect this grill to last 15 years.

And outside of the grate issues (like my 330) the e210 is great choice a that price point!

So if that's what you can do, do it!

edit edit: I cant speak about the 210 I don't have experience with it and have no idea what cooking on it is like. But what I can speak to is those damn porcelain coated grates!

Edited by beerme1

LOL Grant is a good guy and very willing to help and offer good suggestions.

The original grates that came on my grill lasted a few years. The replacements they gave me under warranty which were different, lasted one year and were complete garbage. Now my bro in law shows up with my grill but it came with SS grates and flavorizer bars. So it's the same grill I have now lol. If you are buying one of these Webers do yourself a favor and get the special edition model that comes with the ss grates but the enamel lid.

I have to say I agree with you about the cooking properties of the cast iron. But the problem is the grates are porcelain coated cast iron. And I have found that combo sucks as it always rusts. Over different grill companies too.

So now I'm burning on these ss grates and honestly my biggest fear was searing. It really is no issue, especially on my e330 with sear burner and clean up is so much better and durability is unquestionably better.

I would agree with this. But if you can spring for what I'm talking about, long term expect this grill to last 15 years.

And outside of the grate issues (like my 330) the e210 is great choice a that price point!

So if that's what you can do, do it!

Thx.

The iron grate is flatter too, which I thought would be better with loose burger meat,  That was the idea, but I've never actually had a problem with meat falling through the grate.  The straight up dependability of a grill like you're talking about, like an e330, is kind of iconic.  Stainless steel, as least in bicycle parts is a huge virtue.

Good advice.

I researched this... the wal mart grill is 24.95 now... most wholesale fish guys will sell to you if and only if you say you have a food truck now,  meat guys are little more d$ckish but will also load into truck or car  trunk next to where any lot where a meat truck operates or could oprate as you need to take this to another location to freeze or prepare etc... they have many restrictions  (not allowed to drive or stop in residential neighborhoods etc..) and want your business if you give them plausible deniability since food trucks aren't in the yellow pages and obviously offer cash.. you will save hundreds on a grill and hundreds monthly on food and eat unpoisoned with preservatives .. get a person al bakery as your friend as well and philosophicly decide on water etc.. stay out of markets or at least read ingredients

I  hope I am not stupid by posting this..  I might lose this trick if its talked about too much.. we all should be able to buy wholesale considering the a$$ f$ck$ng we get at the monopoly markets, none worse than wh$le F$$ds.. please keep this to yourself as I will delete this in about a week.

You are awesome K8.  

If you're relying on a grill for fast cash, that's a skill in and of itself.  Cheers.

I wanted to mention just burning some lilac or apple down to coals, but that would be like making an angle cut freehand with a ragged bit of flint.

I've got a feeling that this thread has long legs.  Check in starts in the first few pages.  You have made your reservation, Monsieur Prisoner.

my wife an I use this... its 19.95 at wal mart.. I hate  walmart but.. its only there.. the rest cost over 40... I use thew same box ox lavarocks as we just replace the grill and burner every couple years..  easy to move with ... works as good as any ridiculous big grill

I knew I was forgetting something!  My Dad used to use lava rocks in his little Sunbeam tabletop grill all the time back in the day.  I should get some- those little Walmart grills are NOT very good at even cooking.

had to do another shot, check in on the wife and laugh as this goes in everydirection than my wittle bitty innocent attempt to help fred flinstone save some money on a grill.. really.. I meant nuthin by it, nuthin I say... and I actually like my cheap tabletop , its awesome except having to stock up on little propane canisters and reusing lava rocks from a real grill or it would cook like sheet.. and for you degenerates the little canisters don't fit into my all purposes gas mask  regulator I got A.,O.  Stanley, who said to eat more meat in the whole earth catalog ... dammit this is a cooking thread you mind controlling  communist schemers...  NEXT THING YR GONNA SELL ME A HAT THAT REALLY WORKS AGAINST HAARP, YOU KNOW THAT HOME ANNUAL RATE FINNACING PROGRAM TO HELP THE people... sorry my caps lock/rant button got stuck..

anyway , I really thought I was saving my sabres enthusiast money on a needlessly expensive  grlling mechanism with no hidden agenda and some food advice.,.. as steve said... escuuuuse me.   goodnight irene.. he said one of those..

I knew I was forgetting something!  My Dad used to use lava rocks in his little Sunbeam tabletop grill all the time back in the day.  I should get some- those little Walmart grills are NOT very good at even cooking.

my communication skills are diminishing with my patience but thank you, that is exactly what I meant.. my apologies for my lame proof reading.. I will work on tnat as well as my not so serene nature

I love people from buffalo.. hilarious... I even went all the way to texas to rescue my pal from Parkview , my sexy running partner from thirty years ago an empire state volleyball star and married her,, so it must be true..  I may change my name to k8dabbler soon... I cant wait

Edited by K8prisoner

I was browsing the spirit lines and the e210 is over my stated price range by like a $100.... but it is sounding like it may be worth it in the long term.

The e series is their Spirit line of grills.  They are Chinese made. Materials not quite as good as the domestic made Genesis and Summit series. (that's why they cost less of course)  But I've heard that they do last longer than the typical $200 Home Depot grills.

Here's something semi-related:  to clean your gas grill, cover the cooking surface with aluminum foil, shiny side down, close cover and turn all burners on high for 7 minutes or so.  All of the scraps, droppings, crust, etc. will turn to flaky ash and fall away easily.

Royal Oak All Natural Lump Hardwood and nothing else. You are absolutely right on with no starter fluid. It is the holy grail way. Do not use lighter fluid or briquettes even. 

I get the dogs part but not the burgers. When I cook on the charcoal grill I save what's left of that burn and re fire it for Hot Dogs. Burgers I am more than willing to use for a first burn.

Grant is the man! at Ed Youngs. Cool dude and knows his Weber stuff.

Weber Performer in that range. 

I use lump for my Big Green Egg.. but that's a whole other level of charcoal cooking and completely blows away gas...but they are damn pricey.  I admit that I didn't pay for mine, my brother in law got one from a PGA event and gave it to me.  Having said that, if it bit the dust I'd buy another immediately without hesitation.  They really are that awesome.

My other grill is a Weber Performer that is technically part propane grill.  I have the version where you can connect those mini camping propane tanks for a gas assisted start of the charcoal, so I don't even need my chimney starter anymore.  Again, ready to cook in 10 minutes tops.

A lot of you guys sound like a couple of my neighbors a few years ago with the propane.  After hanging out with me at my man cave and eating my food they both have kettles and have ditched the gas.  I do understand though, ten years ago I was the same way with propane. 

Ah, another married man.

Yes indeed.  There is something so primal and relaxing about building fire with an ice cold ancient intoxicating beverage in hand.  On a week night it's a perfect time for a macro lager.

My other grill is a Weber Performer that is technically part propane grill.  I have the version where you can connect those mini camping propane tanks for a gas assisted start of the charcoal, so I don't even need my chimney starter anymore.  Again, ready to cook in 10 minutes tops.

There is also filling the grill with charcoal, arranging it and cleaning out the ashes afterwards, innit?

Not to mention the inability to control temperature with precision.

There is also filling the grill with charcoal, arranging it and cleaning out the ashes afterwards, innit?

Not to mention the inability to control temperature with precision.

The performer series has a bin for your bag of charcoal built under the table attached to the grill..which is another advantage of performer in the large table attached prep area that is typically non-existent on a gas grill.  You simply pour the needed amount of charcoal into the provided baskets positioned over the gas assisted start, press the ignition, let charcoal start and and go.  Clean up is with their one-touch system with aluminum ash catching bucket underneath.  I dump it after maybe every fifth cook.  If you use lump charcoal it produces even less ash so your dumps would be even less frequent.  IMO the webers are even better for temp control and versatility, most temp gauges included on any grill gas or charcoal are garbage.  I use a maverick probe attached to the grate and can dial my cook in with great precision.  Additional versatility provided with charcoal include turning it into a damn fine smoker, rotisserie attachment ability that is only available on select gas models, ability to raise charcoal baskets close to grate for steak house level searing, better two zone cooking control, adding of wood chips or chunks to the fire also out performs those chip boxes you can use with gas IMO.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I dump it after maybe every fifth cook.  If you use lump charcoal it produces even less ash so your dumps would be even less frequent.

ability to raise charcoal baskets close to grate for steak house level searing,.

I'm truly impressed if you can get that use. I usually just dump automatically after two burns, but one thing I wish my performer had is an adjustable grate. I told Grant at Ed Youngs which is where I bought both of my Webers that I was going to be in trouble when I got home.

The wife is just never going to understand that I came home with a charcoal grill that uses a small propane can to ignite the charcoal as a supplement for the gas grill. Man was I ever right lol!

Howeverhe taste of 1 1/4 inch rib eye from Federal Meats done on the charcoal changes ones opinion real quick. I do use the gas grill more out of convenience and keep it in the garage so I can grill even if it's raining. The performer is in the open on the back patio. 

For anyone reading try getting meat from Federal Meats. Hormone and anti biotics free you will appreciate the difference. At Wegmans try the "local" steaks for similar.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.