John Shannon: "The Sabres would be better not making the playoffs"

beerme1

Player expectations was the key part, not fan expectations. Players making the playoffs and expecting to without realizing the hard work needed.

Which players are he worried about?

Kane has been a part of futility in Atl/Wpg. Ennis, Moulson, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Foligno, Weber have been through 2 years of this hound's breakfast. Gionta, Gorges, and Bogosian are vets that suffered through last year. Desauliers dealt w/ last year. Pysyk and Johnson couldn't even become a part of this debacle and Larsson had his own trials & tribulations.

Is he worried about Legwand or McGinn thinking things come easy? Perhaps O'Reilly or Lehner? Thst's a laugh.

That leaves Eichel (yeah, he'll have issues :rolleyes:), possibly a 4th liner or bottom pairing D ('cause life comes so easy in the NHL for those guys :rolleyes:), or your boy Reinhart. I'd expect Sam gets it as well.

So, again, what problems are created by missing the playoffs?

Edited by Taro T

You should start ignoring people now.

LOL Yes I believe fanboyism will be very high and it's already started and it will be great. Have we, make that anyone in any sport ever had a reason to be so optimistic coming off the worst season ever in mankind as we know it today though?

I think it's fine if they miss the playoffs this year.

In fact.. Murray is probably gearing up for that 9/10 spot and just missing.  He'll probably laugh his butt off if the Sabres end up in the top 3 when that happens due to the changes.

On the other hand.. if they squeak in at 7/8 then he'll be praised heavily.  

Either way.. win.

The playoffs would be nice, though their success doesn't hinge on it. If they work their ###### off and make it I see that as nothing bad.

This a great point. And yet another reason I think they do well. They have a tough start and a tough finish. I think people are under selling the talent level the team has increased to. And the playoffs will be nice. They have to gel quickly and get off to a decent start.

Just my 2 cents but the goal should always be to make the playoffs. Without fail. The idea of a culture shift is to instil a winning culture whereby the players know from the outset that that is the goal of the season. Make the playoffs then make some noise. Anything less is failure. 

At this point if they don't make the playoffs or come very, very close it will mean Murray missed on some important decisions like Lehner and ROR and the young players need a lot more time to develop.  While it would be nice to have one more shot at the lottery and a real high pick if we finish poorly enough to have a real chance at an early pick I think it means too many things have gone wrong this year to root for that in any way.  Why would having high expectations be a bad thing?  That's what every good team lives with every year.

Edited by smj

Remind me again, were you onboard with the tank?

I was 100 % for the teardown. It is a realistic goal now that we are into the build part of the tank. 100 % try to make the playoffs. I'm not saying GMTM should forget the longview and sell assets to get Rick Nash at the deadline thinking he'll get us in. I'm saying the team as its constituted should have the message from management that we are trying to make the playoffs as our goal. 

I was 100 % for the teardown. It is a realistic goal now that we are into the build part of the tank. 100 % try to make the playoffs.

So you meant going forward that should be the goal, not that every team always should try to make the playoffs.

Remind me again, we're you cool with Dylan Strom or Noah Hanafin?

Not sure how that's relevant. I wasn't arguing with bunomatic, just trying to clarify what he said.

Edited by Robins Egg

At this point if they don't make the playoffs or come very, very close it will mean Murray missed on some important decisions like Lehner and ROR and the young players need a lot more time to develop.  While it would be nice to have one more shot at the lottery and a real high pick if we finish poorly enough to have a real chance at an early pick I think it means too many things have gone wrong this year to root for that in any way.  Why would having high expectations be a bad thing?  That's what every good team lives with every year.

This is a great post but with a avatar that doesn't fit in the picture you paint.

Please fix self.

You're bang on point! If Lehners a bust (no) and ROR becomes Timmay, God help us all. But your comment "why would having high expectations be a bad thing" Is exactly the point.

Last year or year before there were no delusions. We all knew we we're going to bad. Think of the players we've rolled through here the last couple of years compared to who we are rolling with next season and beyond.

YA!

So you meant going forward that should be the goal, not that every team always should try to make the playoffs.

Not sure how that's relevant. I wasn't arguing with bunomatic, just trying to clarify what he said.

Yeah I should have been clearer on that. Going forward for sure. It's all about a winning culture and trying to instil that mindset. Sure there'll be growing pains but ...

This is a great post but with a ###### avatar that doesn't fit in the picture you paint.

Please fix self.

You're bang on point! If Lehners a bust (no) and ROR becomes Timmay, God help us all. But your comment "why would having high expectations be a bad thing" Is exactly the point.

Last year or year before there were no delusions. We all knew we we're going to bad. Think of the players we've rolled through here the last couple of years compared to who we are rolling with next season and beyond.

###### YA!

Ryan O'Reilly will be fine.  

If they miss the playoffs, it is because of Lehner. 

Yup, still love him

Murray would only say the Sabres got a little better. “I’ll let him put his balls on the line for that,” Murray quipped of Bylsma’s opinion, cackling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.