John Shannon: "The Sabres would be better not making the playoffs"

beerme1

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...if we're drafting high again next year (pre-lottery....which I think is likely, especially without another D) then I hope we're in a spot to draft a stud defenseman. Matthews, as great as he appears to be, is too redundant with what we already have an I don't think investing seemingly our entire cap in forwards (O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart and in this scenario Matthews would all command huge money, along with significant contracts for Girgensons and Kane) will give us the best chance to bring home the Cup. 

Man, I just advocated for defense. That felt weird.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...if we're drafting high again next year (pre-lottery....which I think is likely, especially without another D) then I hope we're in a spot to draft a stud defenseman. Matthews, as great as he appears to be, is too redundant with what we already have an I don't think investing seemingly our entire cap in forwards (O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart and in this scenario Matthews would all command huge money, along with significant contracts for Girgensons and Kane) will give us the best chance to bring home the Cup. 

Yup, gotta think that if we are drafting high again next year, we'd be picking a D-man. Can't see them drafting 3 centers in a row at the top of the draft, that could potentially be a mistake. Maybe a winger, but I think they will lean D. There is always the option of trading down and gaining more assets, if they can get a defenseman they are targeting in a slightly lower position.

I understand and agree with the BPA philosophy, but assuming there are quality D-men ranked in and around the spot we are picking, I think that's the direction they'll go.

The Sabres will not have to manipulate the roster lkme last year to be in the lottery discussion. If they stick to the plan of letting the youth season in the National,  we will experience rookie/inexperienced foibles from time to time. I think that is GMTM'S plan and has been all along. We are not a FA destination and may never be and he knows that adding that next piece will have to come through the draft.  That may be a player for the roster or a player to trade for a roster player.  

Chychrun is already my favorite player in this draft, that would be a nice thing to get if the Sabres didn't do quite as well as hoped.

We won't be icing a 75% AHL roster next year, and a whole roster of guys playing a line or two above their level. Therefore IMO a tank like we witnessed these past two seasons will be next to impossible to achieve.  I do however think it would be great if we finish 20th and then proceed to snag a top 3 pick under the new system.  THE ZFG smirk-scowl of GMTM would be priceless.

We won't be icing a 75% AHL roster next year, and a whole roster of guys playing a line or two above their level. Therefore IMO a tank like we witnessed these past two seasons will be next to impossible to achieve.  I do however think it would be great if we finish 20th and then proceed to snag a top 3 pick under the new system.  THE ZFG smirk-scowl of GMTM would be priceless.

Could you imagine "The Buffalo Sabres Select...heh heh heh...(fill in the blank)."  That would indeed be priceless as the camera pans to Shanny who after finishing DFL is frantically trying to trade up from 4 to 2,  

This discussion is great, but I can't believe (I just skimmed this and other threads, since my return) that it appears that some posters are advocating another tank job next season.

No, no, no a thousand times no.

I am anti-tank and always have been.

Man, has this fan-base not suffered enough?

Chychrun is already my favorite player in this draft, that would be a nice thing to get if the Sabres didn't do quite as well as hoped.

I'd hate to have to type that name every day if he were on the Sabres. I have no opinion on the player, just that name gives me concern. Hell we couldn't even spell Pominville around here.

This discussion is great, but I can't believe (I just skimmed this and other threads, since my return) that it appears that some posters are advocating another tank job next season.

Please no more tank. For the love of all things good and right in this world, please let me watch hockey again where the objective is to root for the Blue & Gold.

I'd hate to have to type that name every day if he were on the Sabres. I have no opinion on the player, just that name gives me concern. Hell we couldn't even spell Pominville around here.

Please no more tank. For the love of all things good and right in this world, please let me watch hockey again where the objective is to root for the Blue & Gold.

Yup.

Congrats to you and your bride.

I will give you some advise that has worked for me ...

Always remember that you two are a team now and don't let anything come between you.  Not friends, not families of origin ... nothing!!

Best wishes for a lifetime of wedded bliss, but remember that it won't always be easy ... anything worth while seldom is easy.

Eleven:  "John Shannon would be better off not appearing on radio."

:w00t:

I really missed you and these gems.

I missed everybody else, too.  So, don't get all big-headed on us.

Yup.

Congrats to you and your bride.

I will give you some advise that has worked for me ...

Always remember that you two are a team now and don't let anything come between you.  Not friends, not families of origin ... nothing!!

Best wishes for a lifetime of wedded bliss, but remember that it won't always be easy ... anything worth while seldom is easy.

:w00t:

I really missed you and these gems.

I missed everybody else, too.  So, don't get all big-headed on us.

Thanks NS! I thought that I was done being congratulated for my wedding - but I had not considered my Nova Scotian friend and his fasting.  :blush:

On another side note, as someone who is not religious at all, I am always fascinated regarding your dedication to these customs and religious events. A lot of your messages and perspectives ring true to me and align with my personal mindset.

I'm not advocating a tank job, just no quick fixes to make it into the playoffs with no hope of getting past the first round while giving up picks and or prospects.

It's ok to lose, because they are young, but it's no longer ok to lose to achieve a draft pick.

I'm not advocating a tank job, just no quick fixes to make it into the playoffs with no hope of getting past the first round while giving up picks and or prospects.

It's ok to lose, because they are young, but it's no longer ok to lose to achieve a draft pick.

I'd be shocked and dismayed if Murray sacrificed this rebuild for a quick fix. Luckily, nothing has indicated he's the least bit interested in doing so.

Even Chicago, the gold-standard for tank and rebuild, didn't make the playoffs the first season after their Tank ended.  They had a solid winning record, but no playoffs.   Now, starting in the following year, and ever since, they've been a solid playoff/Stanley Cup contender

IF we hit a winning record this year,  I'll be happy - because that will demonstrate we're keeping pace with Chicago.    2016-17 will be the year to watch.  

Edited by Jsixspd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.