Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

I haven't seen a new poster here get treated poorly here for awhile as long as they didn't act like a complete troll. And the new posters that do act like trolls are almost exclusively duplicate accounts. I think this board has gotten much friendlier over the past year, and I think almost all the members here are extremely welcoming to new members and encourage them to post.

I try to only be mean to well established posters. 

In my limited time here so far, I've been welcomed with open arms. Sliding into different threads and offering an opinion without derailing existing conversation hasn't led to any sort of backlash or negativity at all. Hell, I've even learned a thing or two from other posters.

You've been a pretty good poster from what I remember; thoughtful and adds to the conversation.

In my limited time here so far, I've been welcomed with open arms. Sliding into different threads and offering an opinion without derailing existing conversation hasn't led to any sort of backlash or negativity at all. Hell, I've even learned a thing or two from other posters.

Yeah, you've never once stood out to me as a total idiot or anything. In fact, every time I look at your post count, I'm surprised. You fit in pretty well. 

You've been a pretty good poster from what I remember; thoughtful and adds to the conversation.

Yeah, you've never once stood out to me as a total idiot or anything. In fact, every time I look at your post count, I'm surprised. You fit in pretty well. 

Thanks! I figured someone who isn't a vet on these boards should say something in hopes of bringing other new posters into the conversation

How new posters are received comes down to this simple concept for me; do they want to join the conversation or do they want to be the conversation.

We've had many new posters recently. Only the ones that wanted to be the conversation were the ones that were met with resistance, and rightly so. If they get offended and move on, oh, well.

You've crystallized my thoughts eloquently.

Personally, I only comment occasionally, and I do read the board thoroughly during the season and during the hot periods of the offseason. I'm here to read opinions of real fans. I appreciate the community that is here and I would say that given how small and close knit it is it does feel hard to step in at times, however there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like anyone's nasty or anything (well, there was a period of that for a while where new posters were basically told to eff off). Funny enough, I actually originally signed up for the forum so that I would have access to the ignore feature.

Mostly harmless.

;)

That's a good way to break in though.  Much better than a bull in a China shop.  Actually, Josie's comment pegs it pretty well, you're like an old friend we're just getting to know.

How new posters are received comes down to this simple concept for me; do they want to join the conversation or do they want to be the conversation.

We've had many new posters recently. Only the ones that wanted to be the conversation were the ones that were met with resistance, and rightly so. If they get offended and move on, oh, well.

You've crystallized my thoughts eloquently.

I mostly agree, but I also think there is a learning curve.  Not all the people who come storming in get offended and leave.  Message forums all have their norms and sometimes someone comes from an over-the-top environment and adopts the same tone here.  When they realize that's not how they fly, sometimes they adjust their style and assimilate.

And then there's.... Yuri.

Edited by Robins Egg

Yeah, but you failed to keep your post count at 39.  You'll have to live with that shame forever... or at least until you hit 3939.

And I may have missed something in recent days, but are we at liberty to say who the poster was that was circumventing his banning?

Yeah, but you failed to keep your post count at 39.  You'll have to live with that shame forever... or at least until you hit 3939.

And I may have missed something in recent days, but are we at liberty to say who the poster was that was circumventing his banning?

It was Tom Brady and he got a new phone, so that's how he circumvented the banning.

Jeesh, of all people I thought you would have known this.

It was Tom Brady and he got a new phone, so that's how he circumvented the banning.

Jeesh, of all people I thought you would have known this.

I'm only aware of one banning and that was the revolving 3 month one he gets all the time.  If there's been a more recent one, I haven't been paying attention.

I'm only aware of one banning and that was the revolving 3 month one he gets all the time.  If there's been a more recent one, I haven't been paying attention.

Honestly I'm clueless. There seems to be 2 floating around disturbing the force. Not sure if the one you are thinking of whose spirit was exorcised for 90 days is one of the new ones or not. Those with more history have a better feel.

I can only image that it does not sit well with some to say the least, but my tolerance is high and sense of humor warped enough to not be frazzled.

Edited by Woods-Racer

SDS mention a 30 day ban earlier though. Based on his post earlier about the poster making this his own personal playground, it makes me wonder if Yuri has been banned recently.

The ban is what made me think it was GoDD, is his longer than 30 days (most recent one that is). It wouldn't surprise me if Yuri was banned for trolling, but nfreeman usually makes an announcement on suspensions 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.