2015-2016 Expectations

Doohickie

So the Sabres have addressed their chronic lack of center talent, the defense is reasonably solid, they'll probably pick up a RW and a decent goalie. And we have Disco Dan signed to a contract. What are your expectations for the Sabres this year? Tank one more time and blame it on the new system? Much improved... back to Lindy status (i.e., 9th/10th place)? Playoffs? Contender?

I could put up a poll but I'm lazy and I'd rather leave the discussion a little more freeform than that.

Personally, I see them as not quite a .500 team for the first half as Bylsma institutes his system and learns who plays well with whom. I see it coming together in the second half though and think the Sabres get into the playoffs. if there get there with a strong late surge and draw a first round opponent that is a little banged up.... who knows? So I guess my expectations are that they make the playoffs this year. I know some may say that's too big of a jump from DFL, but I think this year's team will be that much different, both in talent and style.

So the Sabres have addressed their chronic lack of center talent, the defense is reasonably solid, they'll probably pick up a RW and a decent goalie. And we have Disco Dan signed to a contract. What are your expectations for the Sabres this year? Tank one more time and blame it on the new system? Much improved... back to Lindy status (i.e., 9th/10th place)? Playoffs? Contender?

I could put up a poll but I'm lazy and I'd rather leave the discussion a little more freeform than that.

Personally, I see them as not quite a .500 team for the first half as Bylsma institutes his system and learns who plays well with whom. I see it coming together in the second half though and think the Sabres get into the playoffs. if there get there with a strong late surge and draw a first round opponent that is a little banged up.... who knows? So I guess my expectations are that they make the playoffs this year. I know some may say that's too big of a jump from DFL, but I think this year's team will be that much different, both in talent and style.

I think this team will be competing for the last playoff spot this year, and have a very young talented team much like the Calgary Flames of this year. They won't make it this year, but it will be fun to watch Sabres hockey again.

Expecting they add a RW, G, & a D or 2, they SHOULD be able to get to low 90's, which just misses a playoff spot.

Yeah, that's nearly 20 more W's, but this team will have at least 3 guys in the top 6 that weren't here before; they'd have an upgrade at goalie, and at least 1 guy in the top 4 that wasn't here before. They also have an improved coaching situation. That is a lot of high end improvement in personnel over last year.

That is a lot of high end improvement in personnel over last year.

That's kind of exciting. Another way to think of it is that several of last year's team leaders will be playing only a supporting role this year. Girgs and Grigo will probably be fairly solid but may end up no higher than the 3rd line because the there's simply no room in the top six for them.

I couldn't even begin to guess how this team will play. We could be adding 4 new forwards to our top 6. We could add Zadorov and Pysyk to our top 4. How those parts shake out is anyone's guess.

They have Eichel, Kane, Ennis, Moulson and probably Reinhart in their top 6 next year. In what scenario is there room for 4 new guys in the top 6?

Edited by LabattBlue

They have Eichel, Kane, Ennis, Moulson and probably Reinhart in their top 6 next year. In what scenario is there room for 4 new guys in the top 6?

Were Eichel, Kane, or Reinhart in the top 6 last year? Grigo or Reinhart & a new RW totals 4 new in the top 6 by my count.

Kane, Eichel, Reinhart are all new players.  That leaves Ennis and Moulson plus 1 more person or 4 guys. 

I stated that if I misread it, I'm sorry.    Feel free to step off the pedestal you are on.

Don't worry Blue.

He never reads before he posts.

:nana:

And I expect the Sabres to be a lottery team next year.  Not DFL, but not in the playoffs.  This season will be the growing pains season.  2016-17 I expect to be the making the playoffs season.

And I expect the Sabres to be a lottery team next year.  Not DFL, but not in the playoffs.  This season will be the growing pains season.  2016-17 I expect to be the making the playoffs season.

You're probably right, but I'm pulling for the playoffs. I'm tired of low expectations.

There is no more tearing down or leaving key positions unaddressed purposely. This is the year to begin building that rock solid foundation of an eventual perennial cup contender. 75-80 points tops, some exciting hockey and strong hope for the future.

:worthy:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.