The 'layers of people' around TP — THEY'RE PEOPLE! TELL THEM! — also: fookin' Battista

PASabreFan

You did? You were? They didn't?

I think you vastly over-estimate the extent to which the give and take of this board stays in people's minds. Some stuff that goes on around here sticks with me long-term (mostly the stuff that gets repeated over and over), but most of what I see here just flits away -- either when the window is closed or within a matter of days. I think that's how it is for most people here. The fact that people weren't patting you on the back (or offering a reach-around?) for your call on Babcock shouldn't be taken as a failing on anyone's part ("true men"?! c'mon) or a slight directed toward you. 

And that's a fact! Jack!

Wait -   :blink:

I think you miss the point.

It's OK to attack someone on a personal basis as long as their opinion is different than yours, and you have the support of 95% of the masses.

When a few days later the tides change from 95-5 to 5-95......and people are now insulting their failed original goal......that's ok.

I don't want a pat on the back for calling it. I want to call out the people that level personal insults for someone having a differing opinion, and praise those who are man enough to say they didn't agree with you, but nice job.

And if you forgot...please watch the LaFontaine youtube I linked where he says he and Battista were on the road interviewing GM candidates.....

I think you miss the point.

It's OK to attack someone on a personal basis as long as their opinion is different than yours, and you have the support of 95% of the masses.

When a few days later the tides change from 95-5 to 5-95......and people are now insulting their failed original goal......that's ok.

I don't want a pat on the back for calling it. I want to call out the people that level personal insults for someone having a differing opinion, and praise those who are man enough to say they didn't agree with you, but nice job.

I think you vastly over-estimate the extent to which the give and take of this board stays in people's minds. 

And I think maybe you're missing my point. I'll be honest: I have no earthly idea what you're talking about in the piece above. Not intending to be mean -- I just don't have the foggiest.

And if you forgot...please watch the LaFontaine youtube I linked where he says he and Battista were on the road interviewing GM candidates.....

I recall that. And I understand that Battista is acting as a #1 for Pegula in a way similar to how Black might. So Battista road-tripped with PLF on his principal's behalf. It's Pegula who hired Murray.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/21/babcock-simply-wanted-toronto-over-any-other/

Attention Harrington-haters. Spare me. Let's discuss the front office structure of the Sabres and whether it could have posed a problem for Babcock. Of course GMTM would have us believe Babcock had no interest in anything other than coaching the team. What does Battista do? Craig Patrick? Ken Sawyer? Is Ted Black in on hockey decisions? Does Kim Pegula consult an astrologist? Did she have a bunion on Mother's Day, causing a slight hitch in her giddyup that turned off MB? What happened with LaLa anyway?

Were there "layers of people" around the Pegulas when they personally took MB on a tour?

Clearly not.

This is a non issue that the News loves to bring up now and again.

never been true here

Not saying it is. Was responding to the difference between wanting a pat on the back and the short memories of people who will insult the person and not the situation.

Let's say for instance....the tinfoil stuff.....that is fine.

Let Drane lay out a scenario for you........................

A wealthy billionaire and his family buys the Buffalo Sabres

The billionaire grabs hold of the local broadcasting media and has almost full control what is released on radio, tv, and some print

The billionaire starts to invest in Downtown Buffalo and plans the biggest real estate project in years

Cronies start to show up in the management structure.....a position of prominence is given to a hot piece of trim that had no qualifications other than being the significant other of a man in power

The team starts to have horrible results on the ice and the local and national hockey world is questioning the judgement at the top and the chaos that seems to be in effect

Executives and coaches are coming and going, left and right

..................................................... I'll give everyone a minute to mull that over, then return with the rest of the "tinfoil" story.................

Were there "layers of people" around the Pegulas when they personally took MB on a tour?

Clearly not.

This is a non issue that the News loves to bring up now and again.

Was it an issue for Babcock? Don't you think he might have asked, "Anywho, why did LaFontaine leave?" Mike would want to know if his new boss, Murray, was going to be around long-term, or if the chaos might repeat itself. The conventional wisdom (take that for what it's worth) was that LaFontaine butted heads with some of Pegula's braintrust, if not TPegs himself, and lost the power struggle.

Here's my conspiracy theory on Harrington's mention of Battista.

1) Battista is a faithful, excitable Pegula lapdog

2) Battista is close enough to the inner circle to know the Sabres were very close on Babcock

3) Thinking it would make his boss look good, Battista leaked updates to the Buffalo media.

4) When Babcock picked Toronto, the media went all "WTF Joe?!"

5) To cover his ass (and Terry's), Battista tells the media the brass is livid, that they had a deal and Babcock misled them.

6) Babcock and Murray both stomp that story, making the Buffalo media look bad.

7) Furious, Harrington takes a swipe at Joey B in his column, as in "don't ###### with us errand boy, well get you."

This is fun.

Not saying it is. Was responding to the difference between wanting a pat on the back and the short memories of people who will insult the person and not the situation.

The billionaire grabs hold of the local broadcasting media and has almost full control what is released on radio, tv, and some print

The billionaire starts to invest in Downtown Buffalo and plans the biggest real estate project in years

Cronies start to show up in the management structure.....a position of prominence is given to a hot piece of trim that had no qualifications other than being the significant other of a man in power

The team starts to have horrible results on the ice and the local and national hockey world is questioning the judgement at the top and the chaos that seems to be in effect

..................................................... I'll give everyone a minute to mull that over, then return with the rest of the "tinfoil" story.................

Joe Battista as Jennifer Smith!

This thread is on fire!

Edited by dudacek

Here's my conspiracy theory on Harrington's mention of Battista.

1) Battista is a faithful, excitable Pegula lapdog

2) Battista is close enough to the inner circle to know the Sabres were very close on Babcock

3) Thinking it would make his boss look good, Battista leaked updates to the Buffalo media.

4) When Babcock picked Toronto, the media went all "WTF Joe?!"

5) To cover his ass (and Terry's), Battista tells the media the brass is livid, that they had a deal and Babcock misled them.

6) Babcock and Murray both stomp that story, making the Buffalo media look bad.

7) Furious, Harrington takes a swipe at Joey B in his column, as in "don't ###### with us errand boy, well get you."

This is fun.

Joe Battista as Jennifer Smith!

This thread is on fire!

The moral of the story: Don't pet stray dogs or reporters. They bite.

I could see Pegula using Battista as a go between for him and the hockey department.

I could also see how it might rub some in the hockey department the wrong way (Lafontaine). Especially if there would be reason to believe Battista is influencing Pegula's decisions.

*sigh*

the "tinfoil" line is used to characterize the ideas that someone is putting forth, not to attack someone personally.

i'm having deja vu. haven't we had the kumbaya [sic] talk before about how "we are not the ideas we post on a message board"?

edit: oh, and don't ever speak of mrs. pegula in such terms again, or i will make hank's nonsense with PA seem like child's play. CHILD'S PLAY!  ;)

Edited by That Aud Smell

I think the question is does Battista actually have the power to stop Tim Murray from doing things.  Judging by how things have happened thus far that answer is no.  Definitely something to keep and eye on.

Oh gawd, not another Larry Quinn......  :wallbash: 

Was it an issue for Babcock? Don't you think he might have asked, "Anywho, why did LaFontaine leave?" Mike would want to know if his new boss, Murray, was going to be around long-term, or if the chaos might repeat itself. The conventional wisdom (take that for what it's worth) was that LaFontaine butted heads with some of Pegula's braintrust, if not TPegs himself, and lost the power struggle.

Why did LaFontaine leave? Again? Really? OK.

He was fired. Most likely because he had one temper tantrum too many. Pegula was classy enough to give him a graceful way out.

The bigger question is, why is Murray still here? One would think a man of his seemingly limited patience would have had enough of Battista telling him what to do and breathing down his neck every other minute.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

The bigger question is, why is Murray still here? One would think a man of his seemingly limited patience would have had enough of Battista telling him what to do and breathing down his neck every other minute.

A mystery.

...even if she truly is a "hot piece of trim"?  :wub:  :wub:

She is very beautiful. And smart. And capable. And refined. And persuasive. And intuitive. Also, she smells good.

So, nah - I was having none of the shade being thrown about an empty-headed trophy wife being appointed to a position of power to which she was ill-suited.

...Also, she smells good.

Now I'm jealous, and no, I don't want to know how you came to that conclusion.   Even though I have been fairly quiet on the KP front since Pegs took over, we may have to duel for the title of KP's #1 sabrespace fan.   :devil:

Battista serves a crucial role -no one knows exactly what he does, or how he meshes with/meshed with Nolan, Murray,,et al.   So,  if something does go awry,  it's easy to assign him the blame.

LaFontaine mysteriously departs?  Battista was probably involved.

Buffalo loses the draft.... again....  well, Battista?   

Babcock passes on Buffalo for Toronto....  that darn Battista again.....

:lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.