All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

I hope that at least a couple reporters have the sack to ask him about his shpiel about not wanting to go through a lengthy rebuilding process because in Toronto that is exactly what he got himself into.

We're only going to see more of it now that we have 24 hour access to all of this stuff, or at least the perception that we have access to the whole process.

I think the perception thing is the key . Even 10 years ago, we would not have had all the leaks on Tuesday, and no huge disappointment on Wednesday.

And I know been said already, but I just don't buy the argument that verbal agreements are broken all the time in "business" .

That being said, If one is to believe Hamiltons article, the Sabres beloved they had the deal done, what it does not say is that Babcock gave them a verbal acceptance. In software sales we call that having happy ears. Hearing what they want to hear and not asking the tough, commitment questions.

BTW, I have been in software sales for 25 years now. Must my deals now are into 7 figures annual spend. I have never had a decision maker/ check signer back out of a verbal agreement or shop my offer. Now, have had deals go south when the verbal was coming from someone other than the check signer who thought they had more power than they did, but never once with the guy who has final signing authority.

Babcock had final signing authority. if, and it's a big if, he gave them a verbal, that's very unethical. If he said looks good, but still have some questions and some details to work, than that is fine to me he shopped to Toronto.

Edited by plenzmd1

To those that are "upset" or angered by the way Babcock supposedly treated the Sabres. All I can say is this, KARMA IS A REAL BITCH TIM MURRAY! Another poster berated me for using "the karma thing" about my rant on the way this organization treated Ted Nolan. He told me KARMA has nothijng to do with it. I beg to differ, no Connor McDavid, no Mike Babcock. I would say KARMA is playing a role whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Maybe Mike Babcock didn't enjoy the way this organization treated Ted Nolan either and decided to play them to his advantage. Hell if this club craps on it's coaches why would I want to go there? Just food for thought. we'll see in the next 2 seasons where this organization is headed under Tim Murray.

To those that are "upset" or angered by the way Babcock supposedly treated the Sabres. All I can say is this, KARMA IS A REAL BITCH TIM MURRAY! Another poster berated me for using "the karma thing" about my rant on the way this organization treated Ted Nolan. He told me KARMA has nothijng to do with it. I beg to differ, no Connor McDavid, no Mike Babcock. I would say KARMA is playing a role whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Maybe Mike Babcock didn't enjoy the way this organization treated Ted Nolan either and decided to play them to his advantage. Hell if this club craps on it's coaches why would I want to go there? Just food for thought. we'll see in the next 2 seasons where this organization is headed under Tim Murray.

Please explain in what way the Sabres crapped on Ted Nolan. 

On one of the other topics regarding coaching for this club, I stated that Babcock wasn't coming here. I was berated for it as people kept telling me "why wouldn't he come here?" etc. etc. I said that he would have more control of players in T.O. and he and Shanny have more history then he and Murray. Lo & behold, Babcock is in T.O. Now bloggers claim they are glad, he ain't that great a coach, he's all ego etc. etc. Guess what Sabres fans. You can candy coat it any way you want.. We got the 2nd best player in the draft (did Eichel make a hard commitment to the Sabres yet? He may stay for another year at Boston, that is possible also) We will now have to settle for the second best coach available. Thems the facts. I do like the young talent that has been assembled here in Buffalo so far but Murray's biggest step will be finding "the right coach" for these young guys. this will make him or break him as i am not a fan of his right now. He has not achieved a damn thing yet and the tank hasn't exactly played out the way we all kind of thought it would. Don't believe me? look back at the various topics posted and the responses. Why were we all high on Tim Murray to begin with? Just because he wasn't Darcy Regier? In my books Tim still has a lot to prove to us that he has what it takes to be a good GM. The decision of coach is enormous now. Bylsma? Really? People are crapping on Babcock for having won only 1 Cup with his lineup. Bylsma had the best player in the NHL and Malkin and won it once (off the back of Michel Therrien's hard work I might add)

Terry Murray's name has come up also. Really? Didn't he coach in the late 80's early 90's?  I would actually like to see Luke Richardson get the chance now but who knows who else is out there. I'm not so sure we'll see a huge improvement in this club this upcoming season but I bet you, you will see tremendous improvement in both The Leafs and The Oilers (remember them)

It's great to be optimistic but this team is having trouble right now getting the pieces they thought they had coming. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to have Jack Eichel. (provided he does indeed come to Buffalo) He looked great at the World's and fit right in with the pro's, Just see the difference the coaching will make in Toronto (which isn't a lesser talent then Buffalo regardless of what you may think- their dressing room and team concept is the main issues over there and Babs will straighten that crap out) and McLellan will do the same in Edmonton. All I'm saying is Tim, you need to make the most important decision now, choosing the right head coach for this young group.

After reading your comment, you remind me of the eternal pessimist who aims low for fear of being let down. Set the bar low and then be excited when the outcome exceeds expectations. Sure, great concept when you're flying and expect the airline to either cause you to miss your connection or lose our luggage. That's not my thing.

I am not sour grapes with Babcock. He's still a great coach. I don't respect him for what he did, but he's still a great coach. I wanted the best coach and believed the Sabres could entice him. They put out a great offer. Didn't work. Would I have been more happy if we scraped the bottom of the barrel and took someone who wouldn't of rejected us? No. I want a coach who is regarded as the best. So I don't have to second guess, is it the coach's scheme, or is it the players who are ineffective on the PP, or clearing the zone, or with puck possession. If you insert any unknown coach, maybe you feel good about yourself because you got your underachiever who might blossom into a HOF coach. I would rather work with the best and occasionally lose a deal than hope to win the lottery with an unknown coach.

You funny. Sabres did Teddy so wrong...gave him a job in the NHL when no one else would touch him, paid him 3 years salary for one year worth of work, and i know little reported , but the real coaching sweepstakes was not BabWatch, but Nolanwatch to see what what WHL team Nolan will land with.

Jesus, Pegs basically pays this guy for the wrong did to him 20 years ago, and you say they did him wrong.

cant argue with that

The way they sold out his starting lineup by seasons end. Both starting goaltenders? Tim's obvious tank may have embarrassed the NHL also. Do you find it somewhat strange that Edmonton got the first pick again???? Maybe the draft lottery was rearranged as Edmonton tried to win their last few games and weren't so blatant with the tank. This will not embarrass the Commissioner whereas in Buffalo it was so blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain what they were doing. Do you remember that 10 game stretch early in the year when Buffalo won 7 or 8 of those and slowly moved up the standings and were showing hard efforts? All of  sudden, that effort stopped cold and they plummeted back down to the cellar. That was the real Ted Nolan coached club. Then they had the fire sale because Ted was utilizing the existing talent and was getting results. Do you really think LaFontaine didn't leave because he wasn't on board with this tank process? That is why he left and he didn't want that for Ted. Tim Murray has not accomplished a damn thing yet. I am not sold on this man right now. i will give him every opportunity to prove me wrong.What goes around comes around.

The way they sold out his starting lineup by seasons end. Both starting goaltenders? Tim's obvious tank may have embarrassed the NHL also. Do you find it somewhat strange that Edmonton got the first pick again???? Maybe the draft lottery was rearranged as Edmonton tried to win their last few games and weren't so blatant with the tank. This will not embarrass the Commissioner whereas in Buffalo it was so blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain what they were doing. Do you remember that 10 game stretch early in the year when Buffalo won 7 or 8 of those and slowly moved up the standings and were showing hard efforts? All of  sudden, that effort stopped cold and they plummeted back down to the cellar. That was the real Ted Nolan coached club. Then they had the fire sale because Ted was utilizing the existing talent and was getting results. Do you really think LaFontaine didn't leave because he wasn't on board with this tank process? That is why he left and he didn't want that for Ted. Tim Murray has not accomplished a damn thing yet. I am not sold on this man right now. i will give him every opportunity to prove me wrong.What goes around comes around.

lt1nb.jpg

Bottom line. NO BABCOCK, NO MCDAVID. No one is saying the Sabres have won anything except blind believers. Second best IS WHAT ALL THE MEDIA are saying, myself included. (except Whiner Line and they make me laugh with their insanity) Check the previous topics and bloggers who did think The Sabres were going to get both and were deserving of both. It's there. I am a Sabres fan but I have not liked the way this organization has treated some people. T-Pegs for all his dough hasn't accomplished anything on the ice yet. He hasn't proven to be a wise owner yet. Thats the fact also. Will it come? Forgive me for being skeptical but I'll believe it when I see it. Sure it's great to be optimistic before the next season starts. We'll speak again come November and we'll see what's shaping up. The coaching choice is going to be enormous for this club.

Not even going to try and correct all of this. You're mad and don't like the direction the franchise took this year. Fair enough.

@ SabresFan In Rochester: I am not upset with Babcock. i really wanted him here. i do think he is the best coach available absolutely. My bar is set low because look back at the past 8 seasons of Sabres hockey. Do you blame me? really? I am a realist my friend and i do not enter the season with Rose coloured glasses anymore. Now it is time for the Sabres braintrust to show me, as a long time fan, that they are worthy of the praise others are heaping on them for doing the right thing with the tank, for axing Ted Nolan etc. and to PlenzMd1: so they paid Ted for 3 seasons and axed him after 1. he should be kissing T-Pegs feet? They set him up to fail. Is that a nice way to treat someone but hey at least he got paid? if that is how you view this organization then maybe you can't see why Babcock took a pass. (and perhaps others in the future)

Yes, but until then i am sure there plenty of are creative irritants that can occur. Sophmoric sure, I am thinking a long lines of Animal House...

With TPegs money...

Painting the visitors locker room pink just for the Leafs....

A TV in the visitors locker room stuck on a 30 second clip of a leave blower pushing leaves around on a fall day....

Painting the benches 15 minutes before their bus arrives....

All hooks and shelves removed from visitors locker room just before Leaf games...

A dead horse in the middle of the locker room..

A big cake with "EAT ME" on it

@ SabresFan In Rochester: I am not upset with Babcock. i really wanted him here. i do think he is the best coach available absolutely. My bar is set low because look back at the past 8 seasons of Sabres hockey. Do you blame me? really? I am a realist my friend and i do not enter the season with Rose coloured glasses anymore. Now it is time for the Sabres braintrust to show me, as a long time fan, that they are worthy of the praise others are heaping on them for doing the right thing with the tank, for axing Ted Nolan etc. and to PlenzMd1: so they paid Ted for 3 seasons and axed him after 1. he should be kissing T-Pegs feet? They set him up to fail. Is that a nice way to treat someone but hey at least he got paid? if that is how you view this organization then maybe you can't see why Babcock took a pass. (and perhaps others in the future)

So you wanted the brain trust which you just criticized to allow Nolan to run this team to the magical 6-10th place finish they were going to achieve instead of doing what Murray did which is think long term and sacrifice a wasted season to get one of the 2 best players to enter the draft in probably 6-8 years? 

the proof will be in the pudding come October. Yes, I am angry at the direction this organization took. All of you who think the Cup is coming in 4-5 seasons are the same group who felt we were getting both McDavid and Babcock. didn't happen. Feel absolutely free to call me out when it does. As those who called me out when I stated we wouldn't be guaranteed McDavid and Babcock was never going to come here. If you have been a Sabres fan for several decades I cannot believe I was the only one to see that coming.

the proof will be in the pudding come October. Yes, I am angry at the direction this organization took. All of you who think the Cup is coming in 4-5 seasons are the same group who felt we were getting both McDavid and Babcock. didn't happen. Feel absolutely free to call me out when it does. As those who called me out when I stated we wouldn't be guaranteed McDavid and Babcock was never going to come here. If you have been a Sabres fan for several decades I cannot believe I was the only one to see that coming.

I thought we were getting Jack Eichel.  We are getting Jack Eichel.  If you seriously think the league conspired to put Connor McDavid in the wasteland of Edmonton you don't understand the business of the NHL.  If you think that was karma you don't know the odds or are choosing to ignore them.  Eichel was 80% if we finished last.  We had to finish last because we had to at least get Jack.  Jack who might even be the better overall player.  Sorry but you just aren't right with a huge portion of what you are posting in here. 

To those that are "upset" or angered by the way Babcock supposedly treated the Sabres. All I can say is this, KARMA IS A REAL BITCH TIM MURRAY! Another poster berated me for using "the karma thing" about my rant on the way this organization treated Ted Nolan. He told me KARMA has nothijng to do with it. I beg to differ, no Connor McDavid, no Mike Babcock. I would say KARMA is playing a role whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Maybe Mike Babcock didn't enjoy the way this organization treated Ted Nolan either and decided to play them to his advantage. Hell if this club craps on it's coaches why would I want to go there? Just food for thought. we'll see in the next 2 seasons where this organization is headed under Tim Murray.

You simply have to use capslock more if you want us to take you seriously.

It seems to be getting a little more common though.  Just look at Frank Gore a few months back.  Wasn't there someone else in the NFL who also did the same thing?  We're only going to see more of it now that we have 24 hour access to all of this stuff, or at least the perception that we have access to the whole process.

This is a fair point to be sure.

You funny. Sabres did Teddy so wrong...gave him a job in the NHL when no one else would touch him, paid him 3 years salary for one year worth of work, and i know little reported , but the real coaching sweepstakes was not BabWatch, but Nolanwatch to see what what WHL team Nolan will land with.

Jesus, Pegs basically pays this guy for the wrong did to him 20 years ago, and you say they did him wrong.

I'll take it one further, Nolan calls out his new boss, who is willing to give him a 1 year contract to see if they can get along, and quits. 20 years later he gets another chance and works for 1.5 years and gets paid for 4.  I'd call that a miracle call back, then winning the lottery, early retirement all in the span of 18 months. Please, someone screw me over like this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.