All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

Exactly. Money wasn't the issue. People are grasping.

If Murray's unwillingness to cede power was the main issue, how much power should he have been wiling to give?

I'm really not sure where I stand on this, but I do believe Murray is a more qualified GM than Babcock, and that an uncertain hierarchy is a recipe for disaster.

Oy.

If he's getting $8M, then he's gonna have more than HC in his title, yeah?

I was never down for a HC + de facto GM

Neither was I.

Doesn't move the needle for me--once you triple a coach's salary, quadrupling is just like whatever. I wouldn't have blinked at 10.

I agree.  If we're gonna pay him 6 mil a year, might as well pay him 8 mil.

If Babdick is really going to Toronto he's a bigger badass than I thought.  He's getting the most money (setting up his kids + grandkids for life), going to be on the biggest stage in hockey, and he's going to be part of their suffering (showing it really could be about the challenge for him).  I'm disappointed we missed out on him, but not terribly so.

Even though Babcock said he doesn't want to be a GM I bet anything that with Shanny in Toronto they gave Babcock a shot at GM?coach position and he took it.

So four million a year to do each job? Makes sense.

Edited by PASabreFan

Have to, they are paying him in Canadian dollars...probably is about 5.5 million American

Player contracts are standardized using American dollars by the CBA.  Even though coaches aren't covered in that, you better believe that everyone talking contract today with Babcock was dealing with the same units.  The canadian dollar vs. american dollar thing does not mean a thing in this discussion.

Disgusted by this outcome...Paul Hamilton said, "the Sabres were getting tired and had enough."

Great, are they not "tired" of losing everything they go after...haven't they "had enough" of that?

Now we get stuck with Luke Richardson, who has done no better than Chadd Cassidy in the AHL...what a joke.

(And if the Sabres were offering $7M/year, they really couldn't push it another $1M? That's embarrassing.)

If Murray's unwillingness to cede power was the main issue, how much power should he have been wiling to give?

I'm really not sure where I stand on this, but I do believe Murray is a more qualified GM than Babcock, and that an uncertain hierarchy is a recipe for disaster.

Not just that, but Toronto needs a LOT more than a part-time GM. That roster and those contracts are a nightmare for even the most experienced GM.

Plus, throw in the pressure-cooker that is Toronto, and a losing product on the ice night after night, and how long can Babcock last? If he is indeed Coach/GM.

Very.....shortsighted (and melodramatic to boot)

Yeah, this is all on Timmy

Meh, maybe not my finest hour. We'll see what shakes out. It was written out of disappointment. How many times can we finish second? It's uncanny.

Disgusted by this outcome...Paul Hamilton said, "the Sabres were getting tired and had enough."

Great, are they not "tired" of losing everything they go after...haven't they "had enough" of that?

Now we get stuck with Luke Richardson, who has done no better than Chadd Cassidy in the AHL...what a joke.

(And if the Sabres were offering $7M/year, they really couldn't push it another $1M? That's embarrassing.)

lol

I guess most of us are with you on that.

To be honest i was getting tired of it to, was getting worried if teams had enough room for the mans ego :P

Edited by Heimdall

$8 million a year for a hockey coach?

LOL

No thanks. Sorry but he is not worth it. You can find a good coach to work for half that who can also win you a cup.

It's about much more than that...it's about credibility, it's about getting good players to come to Buffalo.

They lost all of that, over $1-$2 million dollars.

Paul Hamilton is mad at Babcock now....

Looks like he played the Sabres for more money and Pegula said "See ya"

The flagship station kicks into high gear! Would love to be a fly on the wall during Schopp & The Bulldog's pre-show meeting.

lol

I can only imagine what the genius of SabreSpace is laughing at...there's nothing comical about this situation.

Make ###### up. Then call it a joke... :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot...Luke Richardson is the next Mike Babcock, he's done an amazing job winning Calder Cups every year.

It's about much more than that...it's about credibility, it's about getting good players to come to Buffalo.

They lost all of that, over $1-$2 million dollars.

They did not lose all of that.

Babcock just played them and went behind their backs to get more $$ from Toronto.

This roster is still stacked with young prospects and will draft Eichel. Pegula will spend big time $$.

SOMEONE is going to come here and win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.