All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

Again you have 30 jobs total.  Guys on the fringes of NHL coaching or just lost their jobs as NHL coaches aren't going to laugh at anyone offering them 1 of 30 jobs. 

He had 2 minutes to tell Detroit. Which I assume is happening now.

Is that noon Detroit time or Buffalo time?

TO's lack of a GM could be a good thing in all this.  There is a whole lot of working room there right now for Babcock to carve out whatever niche he wants.  It was reported that a sticking point with Buffalo negotiations was how much control over personnel Babcock would have here.

He doesn't just want to be the coach; he wants to be a coach with quasi-GM power.

There are TONS of good reasons why Babcock would NOT go to TO!

But to suggest its impossible is crazy...

TO is TO.  God only knows what Babs is thinking in all this.

this is what he is thinking...

Is that noon Detroit time or Buffalo time?

yes

TO's lack of a GM could be a good thing in all this.  There is a whole lot of working room there right now for Babcock to carve out whatever niche he wants.  It was reported that a sticking point with Buffalo negotiations was how much control over personnel Babcock would have here.

He doesn't just want to be the coach; he wants to be a coach with quasi-GM power.

Good thing for the leafs you mean?  If so, I agree.

So you think the Harbor Center makes Buffalo a more attractive city than Toronto?

You're making a series of assumptions, based on very limited info, about the way these negotiations have been conducted. It seems highly unlikely that this is how events unfolded.

Maybe he's more attracted to Toronto as a city, but the hockey situation is much better in Buffalo. If the money is basically equal, will be interesting to see where he ends up.

We heard from his own mouth he does not want to be a GM. He does want input on personnel decisions.

What that means...?

We heard from his own mouth he does not want to be a GM. He does want input on personnel decisions.

What that means...?

I didn't suggest he wants to be the GM too.

I wrote that he wants quasi-GM power, meaning he wants some of the power typically reserved to the GM...like picking and choosing or at least having substantial input into who is brought in and thrown out of the organization.

Did you know you can't even pay online with Independent Health?

What is this, 1950?!

Hopefully that is kept secret until Babcock signs

Have the GR guys thought this over?

"I'm the Wizard of Heat!"

Babcock: "Wizzard, where ya been, eh? I talked the ladyfolk into letting me join this organ-eye-zation, and she's freezing her Peameal bacon off at Spaulding Lake because the furnace took a dumper."

Awww.....you're just a Buffalo and Pegula Hating Jerk!!!!  

Actually, now is the time to think of a ground zero scenario. Toronto gets Babcock.....The league hates Pegula for setting a crazy market....McLelan is off the market....you now either go to Luke Richardson and offer him $4 million for 3 years which was an awesome prospect in his mind all along, or go and try to negotiate with an experienced coach after you just offered $50 million to Babcock.....and whatever number you offer at first, they will probably laugh at you.

I doubt they'd laugh as there isn't another Babcock-credentialed candidate at the moment. But if your point is that we need to offer that to Bylsma, I don't agree. But Babcock's stated goal improving the lot of all coaches in this process, will certainly be realized, that's for sure. But this touches upon my reasons for Pegula to shelve his offer if Toronto has just been laying in wait for Babcock to come back to them with our best and final. 

GO SABRES!!!

So quiet on the "sources tell me" front. No one wants to talk to the AP? This probably means things are close. For the overly suspicious, it could also mean Babcock and his agent, if he has one, are talking directly to other parties now instead of communicating through the media.

I doubt they'd laugh as there isn't another Babcock-credentialed candidate at the moment. But if your point is that we need to offer that to Bylsma, I don't agree. But Babcock's stated goal improving the lot of all coaches in this process, will certainly be realized, that's for sure. But this touches upon my reasons for Pegula to shelve his offer if Toronto has just been laying in wait for Babcock to come back to them with our best and final. 

GO SABRES!!!

Say a fair offer to a qualified guy like Bylsma was 5 years and $12 million.

If I'm him, I laugh in their face. You just offered $50 million to a guy I'm probably better than. I walk no matter what. Go to SanJose for similar money. If you call back at 5 for $15-20.....ok, I'm listening.

Look at it this way.....Pegula just offered $5000 for a seat in the Club Level at the redline for the Stanley Cup and would be turned down. He comes and offers the guy 1 section over $1200 for his seat. Luke Richardson is up in the 300's and he will probably settle for that at $400.

So quiet on the "sources tell me" front. No one wants to talk to the AP? This probably means things are close. For the overly suspicious, it could also mean Babcock and his agent, if he has one, are talking directly to other parties now instead of communicating through the media.

Between Wawrow saying Bylsma could be a candidate yesterday, mentioning him the first time in almost a year.....and GR asking Custance if a team should be able to collect Revenue Sharing while being able to offer unlimited funds to a coach.....it looks like us stupid jerks with our jerky thoughts are actually stupid for giving up our opinions for free.

PA....maybe we should start up a podcast.

toronto could offer babcock FINAL SAY over the roster and get a gm to handle contracts.

He already said he was not looking to be the GM.

And good luck trying to get rid of all those dead weight long term contracts they have up there...final say doesn't mean much when 25% of the roster can't be touched.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.