Prediction time: Will the Sabres get Babcock?

nfreeman

Is he or isn't he?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Babcock become the Sabres' coach?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Babcock says no, who will the Sabres hire? (Not who do you want -- who will they choose.)

• Disco Dan Bylsma
    • Luke Richardson
    • Jeff Blashill
    • Peter DeBoer
    • Other (please specify)
    • Not applicable -- they are getting Babcock

I don't think he's coming here and I had to vote "other" because there has been a vortex of silence regarding other candidates, so I really can't predict anything there.

I'm in the same boat. 

Huh? Have you ever worn ice skates in your life?

Be honest now.

Yes. Do you like Sketchers?

Be honest now.

Okay. Enough derailing threads. If you want to continue asking me irrelevant questions PM me.

Yes. Do you like Sketchers?

Be honest now.

Okay. Enough derailing threads. If you want to continue asking me irrelevant questions PM me.

Why do you insist on having 4 letter names? What was wrong with DStebb?

The people want answers! :nana:

Edited by Touched by Boyes

I always love the "BRO, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?!" line from a new poster who's tring to swing his e-(bab)dick around.

I'm not digging your gang culture mentality that says "the guy I know is OK, the new guy I don't know is not OK."

But then I'm not of college age anymore.

Go in peace, my Sabre friend!

I'm not digging your gang culture mentality that says "the guy I know is OK, the new guy I don't know is not OK."

But then I'm not of college age anymore.

Go in peace, my Sabre friend!

I'm all for peace. I suggest you take a more civil tone, and you won't have guys born in the 1960s (who, yes, have the back of a 22 year-old who knows a think or too) taking you to task for being a bit, well, uncivil.

And it ain't gang culture mentality to want to defend the goodness of an online community. It's ill-advised and ill-informed to suggest as much.

I don't see how coming to coach buffalo is somehow dishonorable.

Babs is coming here.

You really do need to work on your reading comprehension. You are a top notch overall poster, but please.....read what I said. I even clarified it.

If you have already made your decision and turned down $5 million a year versus $3 million because of family reasons and such, a HUGE difference, and you then take $6 million, it doesn't add up. You are obviously taking the job for strictly money. If all the yadda yadda about a new challenge was true, and he really has the family in mind, the first gap is too big that anything else should be a difference.

I don't want to be crass Ghost here, but it is fitting. If you are a fella that fancies the ladies, and the age old question is presented to you...."Would you #### a #### for $5 million?".......you say no.....and then you change your mind at $6 million....that doesn't add up in the Freudian handbook.

If he comes to Buffalo, it was a money play all along. If he stays in Detroit, I will actually have 100% respect for him.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

You really do need to work on your reading comprehension. You are a top notch overall poster, but please.....read what I said. I even clarified it.

If you have already made your decision and turned down $5 million a year versus $3 million because of family reasons and such, a HUGE difference, and you then take $6 million, it doesn't add up. You are obviously taking the job for strictly money. If all the yadda yadda about a new challenge was true, and he really has the family in mind, the first gap is too big that anything else should be a difference.

I don't want to be crass Ghost here, but it is fitting. If you are a fella that fancies the ladies, and the age old question is presented to you...."Would you #### a #### for $5 million?".......you say no.....and then you change your mind at $6 million....that doesn't add up in the Freudian handbook.

If he comes to Buffalo, it was a money play all along. If he stays in Detroit, I will actually have 100% respect for him.

I suppose you could look at it that way but...

If both Detroit and Buffalo had the same money on the table and you were thinking of leaving, you would stay. if Buffalo pays you more then you think some more.

Babcock turned down the Sabres $5 million a year. He plans on staying in Detroit. McKenzie threw out those tweets because the Sabres added $1 million a year. Babcock's agent of course is going to present this.

If Babcock doesn't care about money, he's in Detroit. If he is an honorable guy, which he seems like, that last counter is almost dirty feeling and will probably clinch Detroit.

I still have no idea what the interview was all about on TSN.

I don't think my reading comprehension is at fault, I honestly don't understand where you're coming from at all.  I don't understand where your logic is coming from and how you are so well able to judge Babdick in this situation.

The bold is classic ghost.  If he ends up the Sabres coach, I'll rail against him.  If he doesn't become our coach he's a great guy.

I don't think my reading comprehension is at fault, I honestly don't understand where you're coming from at all.  I don't understand where your logic is coming from and how you are so well able to judge Babdick in this situation.

The bold is classic ghost.  If he ends up the Sabres coach, I'll rail against him.  If he doesn't become our coach he's a great guy.

Chz is the only person in all the interwebs saying that Detroit is willing to match a Buffalo offer.

Anything i have seen is in the $3 million range for a shorter contract, while Buffalo is $5 million and a longer contract.

Those terms are so far apart, that if Babcock told the Sabres "No Thanks".....and all the hubbub about family and such.....then for an extra million a year decides to flip? It makes zero sense. He could still have concern for the family, but it is a pure negotiation ploy and/or a pure money play. There is NO other explanation for turning down 7for30 for 3for10, but taking 8at50.

NO other explanation.

He's Maximizing his Potential if that is the case.

I won't call him a scumbag if he comes....that's an amazing amount and he is a good coach, and he has every right to go for it. But if he does come to Buffalo at this point, it would be like watching George Carlin taking the White House corrispondents dinner gig.

I think that's an oversimplification of human nature.  Babcock can want more money, want his family to be happy, and still crave a challenge.

Maybe it is how I look at it. Maybe the average person doesn't look at it that way. To me, if there is that big of a difference and your heart is telling you one thing, a bigger difference isn't going to switch what my heart is telling me. It would only strengthen my resolve.

Maybe it is the dinosaur in me.