The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

I'm really interested to see what number he picks. It seems like he's taking his time for something.

WGR did this but only half-assed it because they don't put effort into what they do... But here's a breakdown of the possible numbers... Strike through for the definitely not (used/retired), regular for the doubtful but can't rule out, bold for the likely, italics for the interesting options...

1 - Doubtful as a forward

2 - Retired for Horton

3 - Mark Pysyk

4 - Josh Gorges

5 - Available but not normally a forward option

6 - Mike Weber

7 - Retired for Rico

8 - Cody McCormick

9 - Evander Kane

10 - Available and one up from his 9, fine number, birth month (October)

11 - Retired for Perrault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

12 - Brian Gionta

13 - Available and an interesting option, not popular

14 - Retired for Robert

15 - The obvious choice as he wore this in international play and it's his draft year

16 - Retired for PLF

17 - Available and a solid forward number

18 - Retired for Gare

19 - Obvious transition for a former #9 but the number has a "curse"

20 - Fine number but seems unlikely since he has no connection to it

21 - See 20

22 - Johan Larsson

23 - Sam Reinhart

24 - It's a cool number and he could make it his own

25 - Grigorenko just left it open but it doesn't seem likely

26 - Matt Moulson

27 - Three 9s? Can't see a reason to go here

28 - Zemgus Girgensons

29 - Jake McCabe

30 - 32 - goalie numbers

33 - Seems to becoming more popular among forwards but I doubt it

34 - Same as 33

35 - Retired for Ryan Vinz slash why would he?

36 - Probably leave this one open for hometown favorite Pat Kaleta should he come back

37 - Matt Ellis (barf)

38 - I'm willing to bet he doesn't go for Paetsch's number

39 - Retired for the Dominator

40 - Likely Robin Lehner's number

41 - Meh it's not too attractive, unlikely

42 - I think this number should be more popular around the league, but I doubt it

43 - Not a good number

44 - Nic Deslauriers

45 - Yuck probably not going to happen, but 4 + 5 = 9?

46 - He wore this at one point in international play and he could make it his own

47 - Bogo

48 - Another number I think should be used more but there's no connection unless he loved Briere

49 - At least there's a 9 in it

50 - Goalie or Antoine Vermette

51 - Nikit... I mean :(

52 - 54 - Not happening

55 - Rasmus Ristolainen

56 - 62 - Not happening

63 - Tyler Ennis

64 - 80 - The only interesting option here is 77

81 - Possible? 8 + 1 = 9 and it's a solid forward number

82 - Marcus Foligno

83 - 89 - Not many attractive numbers there

90 - Ryan O'Reilly

91 - This is a popular one for dynamic forwards around the league

92 - 95 - 90s are more popular now but he has no connection to these

96 - I would be fine if he went with his birth year. It's a popular thing these days

97 - No way he just takes the McDavid number

98 - No connection but one up McDavid? Lame

99 - Retired for Gretzky

So the top options seem to be (in order based on my opinion):

15 - The obvious choice as he wore this in international play and it's his draft year

10 - Available and one up from his 9, fine number, birth month (October)

96 - I would be fine if he went with his birth year. It's a popular thing these days

11 - Retired for Perrault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

19 - Obvious transition for a former #9 but the number has a "curse"

46 - He wore this at one point in international play and he could make it his own

Nicely Done, I think he goes 15.

i looked and could find a link about the yarn re: eichel asking about #11. i must've heard it on the radio -- probably hamilton relating it? or maybe it came direct from black? anyone else recall hearing that? it was a funny story.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/106159070/6-5-howard-simon-show-hr-4.htm?

It was Black who told the story about Eichel asking after 11 - start at the 21:20 mark.

69. It's hilarious. 

ZOMG. that would be the funniest thing ever.

let's start an online petition.

I was just doing some shopping, figured I would share some things I found that might interest someone...

***Jack Eichel Sabres Rookie Card: $9.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Jack-Eichel-Custom-Buffalo-Sabres-Hockey-Card-/252010453314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aacfe5942

**Draft Preview Magazine with Eichel on the cover: $19.99 (There's an autographed one for $50.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-News-Magazine-2015-Draft-Preview-Buffalo-Sabres-JACK-EICHEL-/121659335518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5376235e

*90+ Sabres hockey cards, including 2 Eichel cards, as well as other Sabres Legends: $4.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-SABRES-90-CARDS-WITH-2-AUTOS-JACK-EICHEL-ROOKIE-/221811314692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a4fc1004

I was just doing some shopping, figured I would share some things I found that might interest someone...

***Jack Eichel Sabres Rookie Card: $9.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Jack-Eichel-Custom-Buffalo-Sabres-Hockey-Card-/252010453314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aacfe5942

**Draft Preview Magazine with Eichel on the cover: $19.99 (There's an autographed one for $50.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-News-Magazine-2015-Draft-Preview-Buffalo-Sabres-JACK-EICHEL-/121659335518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5376235e

*90+ Sabres hockey cards, including 2 Eichel cards, as well as other Sabres Legends: $4.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-SABRES-90-CARDS-WITH-2-AUTOS-JACK-EICHEL-ROOKIE-/221811314692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a4fc1004

Those cards are just made by some other Internet user, you realize...

http://media.wgr550.com/a/106159070/6-5-howard-simon-show-hr-4.htm?

It was Black who told the story about Eichel asking after 11 - start at the 21:20 mark.

Iiiiiinteresting. I highly doubt it would happen, as I said. I don't believe that it happens but I know there are cases of it happening with other sports/teams. Especially if the legend were to reach out to that player and give him the blessing.

But I'm fine with him making his own history and prefer it. Whatever number he picks... He will be the last one to wear it.

I thought the only thing holding his decision up was weather he'd spent the whole season with the team? From what I gather that's an unequivocal 'yes', so I don't get the hold up. Doesn't he get the standard rookie contract? FWIW I don't think McDavid has been introduced yet either

I don't think it's been much of a hold up, anyway. Regardless of the standard contracts for rookies and the guarantee of remaining with the big club, it's still a question of him weighing the pros and cons of all of it as he's said all along. There may be practical issues involved as well. At any rate, going back to school is the only leverage he has. Not sure if that means anything much given the standardized structure of rookie deals, but there may be other things he wants/doesn't want in writing. 

Anyway, it's the biggest decision of his life so far. Perfectly understandable. 

GO SABRES!!!

Iiiiiinteresting. I highly doubt it would happen, as I said. I don't believe that it happens but I know there are cases of it happening with other sports/teams. Especially if the legend were to reach out to that player and give him the blessing.

But I'm fine with him making his own history and prefer it. Whatever number he picks... He will be the last one to wear it.

maybe if terry told him the new kid's name is jacques eschelle.

All the pictures on that instagram look like they were taken by a professional photographer.  They lack soul.  I can't even manage a humana-humana despite the fact that she's a beautiful young lady.  Maybe it's because the real crush is the one I have on her boyacquaintance?

gimme a choice between planting a big wet one on one or the other? i'm going with jacker. #dontjudge #loveislove

also: we need ink to swoop in with a gravitas-infused sermon about how real men have lust for only real women.

On the issue of his number. If he desires 11, I would have no problem with Bert if he said, "Wear it in good health, kid. And do the number proud." My already over the top respect for Bert would rise even more. 

GO SABRES!!!

Nicely Done, I think he goes 15.

How much more effort did you put into this, compared to WGR? I can't imagine a list of jersey numbers takes much "effort." Lol.

It's basically the same exact thing they did, including some of the exact reasons.

It'll be 15...it was always going go to be 15.

Those cards are just made by some other Internet user, you realize...

The Eichel card? Yeah. The other ones aren't. (The Eichel one is the only one I can find with a Sabres logo, want it for development camp.) Edited by Bob Malooga

Maybe nothing but I just realized that Jack Eichel changed his Instagram bio. It used to point out that he plays for Boston U but not just says "Ice hockey player."

His Twitter Account as well.

McKenzie mentioned he can sign his contract after July 1st, I imagine his introductory presser will come after that

We have a new guy on our beer league team who wears 69 and has a tinted visor. :doh:

Wait, so you're telling me that the douche with the tinted visor and the douche who wears 69 are the same guy!? Wow! That's an off the charts douche quotient.

His Twitter Account as well.

McKenzie mentioned he can sign his contract after July 1st, I imagine his introductory presser will come after that

Why does he have to wait until July 1st? (Or after it?)

(Anybody else hoping Compher goes UFA in 2-3 years after college? Lol. Maybe he comes back to us! :-p )

Edited by Bob Malooga

Wait, so you're telling me that the douche with the tinted visor and the douche who wears 69 are the same guy!? Wow! That's an off the charts douche quotient.

Yeah. He's got that vibe too... Ugh.