Ryan Miller benched for playoffs in favor of Eddie Lack...

matter2003

Lack is starting because he played well while filling in for Miller and Miller had a total of one game to get back from weeks off to get ready for the playoffs.

God job trying to make this into some kind of goalie controversy though and that it's because the Canucks think Lack is better. Miller was supposed to be back by the playoffs at the earliest, Lack played well so they decided to give Miller a little nmore time to get back into shape by letting Lack start the series, but now down 2 games to 1 I wouldn't be surprised to see them put Miller back in

Lack is starting because Miller said his knee is still not 100% after playing the season finale.

At 35 I just think Miller's play right now is spotty at best, and no longer starter a playoff team can count on.    LaFontaine wanted to resign Miller to a long term deal and have him be the leading face of the franchise as they made it through the rebuild.  Murray knew he was past his prime and wouldn't make it through that deal at the top of his game.  Regier would have, but not Murray.

After the trade to St Louis, he had the worst Save % since 2004, including .897 in the playoffs.

His save % in February w/ Vancouver before he got hurt was .894 in eight starts.  In his first game back before the season ended he got lit up for 5 goals and a .82 save % against the Oilers.  That's the worst hockey of basically his career.

When you sign a guy like Miller your expecting a solid goaltender that will play lights out in the playoffs.  A player that even if he sits out a month w/ injury will come back and be your rock in net.

Miller's days of being that are gone.  Murray knew that, and traded him away for assets.  Looks like Murray's line of thinking was spot on.

Sorry Pat.

Edited by dejeanneret

Canuck fans prefer Lack. They did before Miller ever played a game.

Haven't had the radio on today, but they may be backpacking now.

That fanbase is brutal on goalies.

and cars.

Vancouver-Riot-11.jpg

Edited by BagBoy

A little surprising...perhaps Miller's meltdown in St. Louis last year in the playoffs weighed on Vancouver's coach...

Miller's stats from the final game Saturday against the Flames.  His earlier games were much better, but this was something of a collapse. 

.839 SVG%

5 Goals against

26 saves

Wonder if Miller's wife had something scheduled for them to attend this week that the Canucks continuing in the playoffs might have interfered with?   :P    Last year he seemed happy after the Blues got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round that he could attend his sister in law's wedding.    ;)

I wouldn't imagine that Miller's personal life had any influence on his performance over the weekend.

That said, was that Miller's M.O. as a Sabre? Stretches of excellence, punctuated by meltdowns at inopportune times? And/or was that Hasek, PA? Maybe that's what just about all goalies do? I honestly cannot recall anymore.

Also, the Miller-in-law-spring-wedding does call to mind the situation in '98 when Peca's wedding was scheduled on the Saturday of a potential game 6 of the SCF. And that was a team that was streaking toward the finals, until the Capitals upended them. The Olympics played a role in the snafu, as I recall.

No. It's all his. He decided to get old. And injured.

He's one of the reasons Pegula drove the Sabres into a ditch. The Buffalo News is right to demand a press conference. I hope they grill Terry and Kim about this during the Showtime interview. You'd think with all that money they could have stopped Miller from aging.

He's one of the reasons Pegula drove the Sabres into a ditch. The Buffalo News is right to demand a press conference. I hope they grill Terry and Kim about this during the Showtime interview. You'd think with all that money they could have stopped Miller from aging.

All our goalies have benefitted from Terry's cryogenic program this year.

Miller, sadly, will continue to age. He's past the time-preservation horizon.

All our goalies have benefitted from Terry's cryogenic program this year.

Miller, sadly, will continue to age. He's past the time-preservation horizon.

I refuse to listen. That doesn't support the "Pegula is awful" narrative.

You might actually be right about that cryogenic thing though.

Miller was injured when the playoffs started. He was "healthy" enough to back up Lack but there was no way he was starting the playoffs. 

I don't think he should have played at all. But that's me. Lack was very good down the stretch. Miller is still 6+ weeks away from being healthy. I wouldn't call it being benched. 

I have a feeling though, the two will have to share the crease a lot more next year.

Miller was injured when the playoffs started. He was "healthy" enough to back up Lack but there was no way he was starting the playoffs. 

I don't think he should have played at all. But that's me. Lack was very good down the stretch. Miller is still 6+ weeks away from being healthy. I wouldn't call it being benched. 

I have a feeling though, the two will have to share the crease a lot more next year.

You would think so. 

Tough to ride a 35 year old goalie for 65 games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.