Reflecting: Tank Wars

LGR4GM

I know we have tank topics but this is hopefully going to be a little different. 

The idea comes from this article http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/inside-the-tank--sabres-reporter-recalls-horrific--surreal-season-082715200.html

"It should live forever because we’re never going to see another like it by any team, anywhere, at any time ever again. I’m not saying that because I had a front row seat for it; but when you step away from the smoldering wreckage of the second straight season as the NHL’s worst team, there are the individual stories and happenings that made it happen. "

What is the most interesting storyline, thing that happened, single moment, overarching characteristic, what over the last 2 years stands out to you most?  

For me it was Tim Murray being hired and the changes that occurred thereafter.  

For me it was the new language that evolved and was invented because of and specific to the tank. This would include the charts and data that SS posters were imo pioneers in developing. I'm not sure if there has ever been a tank that was so overt as the tank we just witnessed. 

For me it was the new language that evolved and was invented because of and specific to the tank. This would include the charts and data that SS posters were imo pioneers in developing. I'm not sure if there has ever been a tank that was so overt as the tank we just witnessed. 

Please, The Penguins in the 80s (and that's just NHL). I was a bit young, but from the sounds of it, everyone knew what was going on from the players through management and the public. These last two seasons are what they are, but to pretend that this was extraordinary is navel-gazing.

It was a complete teardown timed to coincide with the arrival of two generational/elite players. The term "tanking" should have been defined and agreed upon here; would have improved the discussion IMHO. I don't think there was all that much heinous tanking — short-term actions by owner, GM, coach or player to ensure a loss. What? Pysyk staying down? Don't get me wrong. The intent was to finish 30th or die trying. That was the macro. (And I didn't like it, want it or think it was necessary, but I bought in at the end.)

I don't see what all the hub bub is about outside of Buffalo, other than a small-market team few people care about might be threatening to emerge as the next elite team. And we can't have that. Some schmuck who goes by Down Goes Brown was on WGR and said he and the rest of hockey are rooting against Buffalo getting McDavid. And for whom exactly? Honorable franchises like Toronto, Arizona and Edmonton?

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Please, The Penguins in the 80s (and that's just NHL). I was a bit young, but from the sounds of it, everyone knew what was going on from the players through management and the public. These last two seasons are what they are, but to pretend that this was extraordinary is navel-gazing.

Hey I was just responding to the thread with an opinion. Just my thoughts on the tank( NHL ). I lived through the Pens tank and was old enough to watch. No early bed timesie for me. There is a difference between the 2 in that the pens fans never embraced the tank in quite the same way Sabres fans did. No navel gazing from me. This is certainly not something that I find pride in. 

Edited by bunomatic

I think PA makes a valid point, the term should have been defined.   That being said I also find it interesting how this will define an entire era of Sabres history. 

With it all said and done, I think it was worth it even if we never win a cup.  The Sabres desperately needed a complete culture change and after Regier was fired I think that finally started to happen.  This team is a hell of a lot more resilient than the 07-2012 era Sabres.

Edited by LGR4GM

But that wasn't documented extensively on the internet by both press and fans alike.  So the "overtness" was much more public and will live on in various articles and forums.

Hey I was just responding to the thread with an opinion. Just my thoughts on the tank( NHL ). I lived through the Pens tank and was old enough to watch. No early bed timesie for me. There is a difference between the 2 in that the pens fans never embraced the tank in quite the same way Sabres fans did. No navel gazing from me. This is certainly not something that I find pride in.

I think the point you're trying to make is that nothing like this has ever been so thoroughly analyzed, publicized or publicly embraced. The Buffalo fan base went above the norm to educate themselves on the situation and become deeply a part of it. I don't think that has ever happened before.

Neuvy's Glove has the right word: overt. The actual fan participation was more overt than ever.

The only real bright spot for me was the play of Ennis the past two seasons.  He has really emerged as a very good player.

The two players that stand out to me are Ennis and Zemgus.

We'll see how it plays out next year but the other intriguing story line has been the succession of scrub goalies that put in very high save percentages.  Was that simply a case of Nolan's system forcing lots of low-percentage shots, or superior coaching of these scrubs by Irbe?  If the latter and if it continues, that may be a key outcome of the tank.

What will always stand out to me is the repeated attempts by The Buffalo News (specifically Bucky and Harrington) to try and shame the Sabres organization for rebuilding in a manner that significantly increased the odds to get the first pick or at a minimum a very high pick.

TBN's apparent agenda and disdain for Pegula and I guess, Tim Murray shocks me. Their fixation on all things negative makes them look desperate for a perspective that creates attention, because it certainly doesn't make any long term sense to the health of this franchise.

My negativity the last two weeks of the season stemmed from an apparent lack of finality by the GM to the stated objective, it almost felt like he was "chickening out" on finishing the job.

What the TBN did was decide to embark on a year long crusade to drive public opinion against the tank and fracture the fan base even more than it was.

I'm glad WGR was supportive, almost to a fault, because without that media counter balanced, it would have been impossible to survive this season.

The most significant thing to come out of this, IMHO, is the expectation of a better quality experience going forward.  The fans collectively said either "were in" or "I reserve judgment", but now they all expect that any subsequent actions will be about winning it all.  The balkanization of the fan base during theses two seasons was largely a result of unmet expectations.  Some felt a black/blue lunch pail gang would meet their expectations.  Others wanted star laden squads.  Whatever side you were on, I believe is irrelevant in that the collective expectation is that we will be able to do and or be both and there are no excuses for not being committed to winning.  

The lack of reaction from the News to the success of the tank has been interesting.

I think they had everything all set to go if we came in 29th about how Murray failed.  Also with the firing of Ted they got distracted.

BTW for me, the tank ended when Columbus won that game.  We win from here on out. 

The most significant thing to come out of this, IMHO, is the expectation of a better quality experience going forward.  The fans collectively said either "were in" or "I reserve judgment", but now they all expect that any subsequent actions will be about winning it all.  The balkanization of the fan base during theses two seasons was largely a result of unmet expectations.  Some felt a black/blue lunch pail gang would meet their expectations.  Others wanted star laden squads.  Whatever side you were on, I believe is irrelevant in that the collective expectation is that we will be able to do and or be both and there are no excuses for not being committed to winning.  

A very good post.

I must, however, ask you to please refrain from using the term Balkanization.  It is not a good term to use in any context.  Long standing members of this board will understand why.

A very good post.

I must, however, ask you to please refrain from using the term Balkanization.  It is not a good term to use in any context.  Long standing members of this board will understand why.

Understood, and no offense intended. 

National media seems to enjoy crucifying Buffalo any chance they get. Think about it, had we not traded Miller or Vanek, the media would of went after management for being incompetent when they walked, but trading them is obvious tanking. The Sabres would of been skewered by the media regardless. They made fun of us for being soft, so we bring in some toughness and they immediately say we're thugs. 3/4ths of the media probably would love for Buffalo to just middle it forever so their precious Bruins or Leafs can thrive, or that they can get rid of Pegula so they can move the Sabres elsewhere since they hate the city. They hate that we are actually succeeding due to our calculating GM and wealthy owner who's interested in developing the area; both against what the media want. When we eventually win the Stanley Cup, if McEichel has any involvement they'll  cry fowl; but we'll get to ignore them as we parade through our wondrous city heads held high, and garbed in the blue and gold. 

All that matters is that the NHL loves our passion and TV ratings, and at least some of the media see Buffalo for the jewel it is. 

The lack of reaction from the News to the success of the tank has been interesting.

The goal of the tank is to win a SC, not to just get the 1st or 2nd pick. We won't know if it was a success for many years.

My take away is the same as it has been since the beginning of the year when I said this was going to be awful, and not because of the terrible hockey, but because of this one thing; no matter what some people think, everyone "gets it". To hear either side say over and over that the other side just "doesn't get it" was tiresome. Everyone "got it", they just disagree with "it".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.