The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Dreger just tweeted that TSN will air an exclusive interview, taped in Prague, with both Holland and Babcock about the Red Wings future, etc. Supposed to cover a variety of subjects.

Hard to believe that Babcock would agree to this if he wasn't going to stay in DET.

There's a reason it is called revenue sharing and not profit sharing. The rest of the owners will have no issue whatsoever with the Sabres paying Babcock.

There where some owners who where a little upset with the Leino and Ehrhoff Spending Spree in light of profit sharing back in the day. I remember the Canadian Media mentioning it, goes against their beliefs on what a small market team should be doing. Oh well

Babcock and Holland had an interview with Darren Dreger from TSN. It airs at 5:30 hopefully his future plans or at least if he is leaving Detroit comes out tonight

This timing of his announcement would square with that "Buffalo39" poster thing on that other message board (see below) -- which basically said that Babcock to Buffalo is all but a done deal at ~$6M per.

Someone with the handle, "Buffalo39", at HockeyBuzz is reporting that Babcock to Buffalo is a done deal at $6m per year. Apparently he's been right about a couple deals in the past so who knows. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=126440&page=4

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by That Aud Smell

Dreger just tweeted that TSN will air an exclusive interview, taped in Prague, with both Holland and Babcock about the Red Wings future, etc. Supposed to cover a variety of subjects.

Hard to believe that Babcock would agree to this if he wasn't going to stay in DET.

That's pretty much how I felt upon hearing it, but at the same time, why wouldn't he just announce if he's staying...if ya know, he's saying. Whole thing is weird.

What teams did he visit? Sorry, I haven't been paying total attention.

I have seen reports that he spoke with Detroit (obviously), Toronto, Buffalo and Philly. It seems like Edmonton never requested permission and won't pursue him.

Did he visit Toronto and Philly?

Visited Toronto. I think he only actually visited Toronto and Buffalo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I saw that he has spoken with Philly. Doubt he visited because we would likely know.

Cherry is basing his theory on his 1 and only coaching job after he was fired. The Rockies were not in a rebuild as he describes it, they were an expansion team in perennial tire fire mode.

Maybe he wasn't as good a coach as he thought he was.

Maybe coaching is grossly overrated and all sports teams are only as good as the horses on the field.  Or ice.

What does everyone make of Babcock's latest comments?

He speaks of how "special special" it is to play in Detroit, the tradition of being with an original 6 team....what does his family want to do...his home is in Detroit...but change is good once in a while (paraphrasing) and so on.

Sounds like he is going to announce a decision by May 20th.  Next Wednesday!

I actually think he will stay in Detroit.  If he does not, I think he comes to Buffalo.  He says he likes instant gratification.

I can't think of a situation around the NHL that has the same potential as the Buffalo situation, if he's willing to wait a few years to get things really cooking, and if we are to assume Edmonton is off the table.

Babcock on TSN, "When I get home and sit down, enough already, lets get on with it."

That sounds like he's got a decision but just wants to get home and make sure it's what he/his family wants to do one last time before signing.

This comment makes it sound like he's not going anywhere...

Babcock on TSN, "One of the things we've been great at is not rushing our people,we haven't needed to and part of the reason we're over here

watching Dylan Larkin is we've got to make good decisions."

Joe Yerdon doesn't think Babcock is leaving Detroit. He's not an "in-the-know" type of guy... Just covers the Sabres for NHL.com. Bill Hoppe agrees.

Babcock on TSN, "Kenny and I are getting home on the 17th and I bet you by the 20th I'm going to know what I'm doing."

Edited by Hoss

If Babcock plans to decide by Wednesday then I think we'll know who are new coach is by the end of the month for sure. If Babcock goes elsewhere I think Murray moves quickly on other candidates.

Wouldn't it be wild if knew next Wednesday, when Babcock says he's decided, and he's going to Buffalo?

Pegula/Babcock/Eichel

That's a whole new world right there!

:w00t:

Babcock on TSN, "When I get home and sit down, enough already, lets get on with it."

That sounds like he's got a decision but just wants to get home and make sure it's what he/his family wants to do one last time before signing.

This comment makes it sound like he's not going anywhere...

Babcock on TSN, "One of the things we've been great at is not rushing our people,we haven't needed to and part of the reason we're over here

watching Dylan Larkin is we've got to make good decisions."

Joe Yerdon doesn't think Babcock is leaving Detroit. He's not an "in-the-know" type of guy... Just covers the Sabres for NHL.com.

Either he wants one more big new challenge before retirement, and his family is on board with that in terms of moving and supporting his decision...or he and/or the family don't want to do that.

I think that is the determinative factor here.

If he leaves Detroit and doesn't come to Buffalo, it will suck.

Is there anyone in the world who actually takes Don Cherry seriously anymore? If there is, I am pretty confident that Mike Babcock is not one of them.

I love Don Cherry; he pisses off a lot of people but that's because he knows where he stands and not everything is going to please everyone all the time.

I know the younger generation doesn't like him.  The bottom line is the guy understands the game of hockey.  Some of his views may be a bit out of step with the modern world of hockey ("He's a no good Swede!") but he gets it.

Having said all of the above, I am quite sure Mike Babcock will NOT be basing his decision around anything Don Cherry says.  That's true.

Grapes is good at self promotion.  He's been doing that since the early 1980s, when he last coached in the NHL.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Super careful with his words, but I think there are tells that indicate he is closing the door on the Wing chapter of his life. 

This quote especially, talking about the Detroit ownership/management: "I'm as excited as anyone to have that opportunity come to a close and make a decision now. It's been good, but its time to make a decision and get on with things here."