Draft Lottery, what would make you more "nervous"?

mjd1001

68 members have voted

1. 1. What will make you nervous or anxious the night of the Draft Lotter if the Sabres finish 30th?

• That the Sabres will not get McDavid, I really REALLY want him more than anything.
    • I'm OK with Eichel, but I am afraid of who MIGHT get McDavid.
    • I really don't care. As long as the Sabres get one of the top 2, wake me up in October.

Let us go on the assumption that the Sabres finish 30th, and are guaranteed 1st or 2nd overall selection.

When the lottery comes around, I am interested but not nervous at all. To me, the Sabres would be expected to get Eichel, McDavid would be a bonus that I truly do not expect. However, I still hear a lot of people being "nervous"  or "anxious" about the lottery when it occurs.

So my question, what is it that makes you nervous or anxious about the Lottery?  That the Sabres will NOT get Mcdavid at #1 overall? Or that you are fine without McDavid, but you are Nervous about who MIGHT get him (a Rival like Toronto or Ottawa, or maybe a good team already like L.A. where he will make them tough to beat?)

Here's a twist. It takes a certain neuroticism. Afraid that the Sabres will win the lottery. Because then, 's gonna get real.

Personally, I don't think I'll be nervous. Eichel is more than we should ever rightly wish for. McDavid would be nice, but we all know they're not winning that lottery. :)

I'll be anxious til 30th is locked up. If Buffalo does end up with a top two pick, I won't be nervous about the lottery at all.

This.   I'll be nervous as hell at the lottery if we end up 29th, but not so much if we end up 30th.  There would definitely be some teams that I wouldn't want to see him go to, but based on the odds, I fairly certain that it will be someone else.

Winning the shart is like guaranteed banging Scarlett Johansson, the lottery is finding out if Kate Upton will be joining for the threesome.

I don't think the actual gap is that big.  McDavid is whichever of those two you like more and Eichel is the other one.  Sure, you'd prefer one, but either one would give you perma-grin for the foreseeable future.

I don't think anyone will be nervous at the lottery, for the same reason everyone has been nervous about finishing 30th.

No one thinks we are winning the lottery.

(well except me, but that's only if we finish 29th.)

Edited by dudacek

I want McDavid, but as long as their in the top 2 I'm going to live with it.  Ultimately, I will pray that Toronto doesn't get him in any facet (Winning lottery, trade).

On the other hand, it could turn amp up the Buffalo-Toronto rivalry to epic status.  As long as we beat them in the playoffs, I'd be okay with them getting McDavid.  Remember it takes more than a single player to make a team good; Buffalo's just completing the process but the tire fire in Toronto is still burning strong.  They'd probably waste 2-4 seasons of McDavid's career getting their act together.

There are only 2 things regarding the Sabres I am nervous about at all right now:

-Actually finishing 30th. I don't think they are going to run off 3 games without a regulation loss, but it has happened this season, along with Arizona easily being able to lose the rest of their games.

-Finishing 30th, drafting 2nd, and then Murray wanting #1 and doing something silly/stupid to get there (like trading #2, Reinhart, Pysyk, and a future #1). 

Would I rather have McDavid?  I guess. But if you get 2nd in the lottery, I would much rather keep 2nd than really trade anything that might be of value on this team to move up to #1.  I'll be 100% content with 2nd.

On the other hand, it could turn amp up the Buffalo-Toronto rivalry to epic status.  As long as we beat them in the playoffs, I'd be okay with them getting McDavid.  Remember it takes more than a single player to make a team good; Buffalo's just completing the process but the tire fire in Toronto is still burning strong.  They'd probably waste 2-4 seasons of McDavid's career getting their act together.

I agree with you on that.  No one can predict what would happen down the road, 7-10 years from now....but with Eichel on the team the Sabres are putting together over the next 1-2 years...and McDavid on what the Leafs have....I'd give the Sabres a pretty big edge in that match-up going forward.

McDavid might be better than Eichel, but I think the rest of the team, top to bottom will favor the Sabres by a LOT in the next few years.

I've felt the same way about the Leafs getting "the one we don't get". Before anyone confuses this with a guaranty, I think it sets up a decade or more of even more intense rivalry. At the risk of being ostracized, I like the Leafs.

I've felt the same way about the Leafs getting "the one we don't get". Before anyone confuses this with a guaranty, I think it sets up a decade or more of even more intense rivalry. At the risk of being ostracized, I like the Leafs.

Before the Sabres, the Leaves were my team, viewed on a television screen snowy enough that you couldn't really see the puck, and then only if you got the antenna pointed just right and the weather was just right.

I chose option two. I'm hoping for McDavid, and I know the odds are only 20% but for some reason I feel real good about landing him. I can live with not having him because of Eichel, but I couldn't stand watching McDavid play in Toronto, Boston, Dallas, or Arizona (because Darcy).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.