2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Prospects to watch tonight in the BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospect Game in BC who could potentially be top 10 picks.

1) Matthew Tkachuk -  ranked 4th overall by ISS in January. considered by many as the "complete" package. strength, skill, hockey smarts all combined in one. not an elite skater but overcomes with an off the chart compete level.

2) Jakob Chychrun - ranked 5th by ISS.  "He can beat you inside and out, skate through you or around, and either nail you to the boards or laughingly absorb a hit at full speed. He can easily be classified as a two-way defender, but what makes him unique among his peers is the way he divides his elite play equally depending on the game situation."  from Draftanalyst.com

3)

Edited by Crusader1969

Yeah Chychrun looks like a 5 year NHL vet physically. If his game is good enough he is physically ready to make the jump. Tkachuk looks even better than the WJCs. McCleod caught my eye, fast.

Agreed, re: Chychrun.

I think there is a very real possibility that if we were to get a high pick, it would be Jakob Chychrun who would have the greatest effect for the positive on our team going forward, out of anyone there for the taking at the top (aside from Matthews).

Maybe even including Matthews, depending on how good Chychrun becomes, and specifically because of how much we are in need of D.

Thinking of a top 4 of:

Chychrun - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk

I think that the Oilers will almost assuredly draft him if they have the chance, so we are probably only getting him if we are drafting higher than them. He's my first choice right now though, after Matthews.

We're pretty much certain of a top-5 pick in this coming draft. And, there are more than 5 fantastic draft prospects, so in some sense we can't go wrong. If we don't get #1 overall (Matthews) then I'm 100% behind getting the best defenseman available since I'm bullish on upgrading our defense. I like Chychrun a lot. Kid just looks confident in everything he does.

This has been compared to the MacKinnon draft because you've got a clear number one (Matthews) with just a select few debating otherwise and then a second tier of two forwards and a dman (Laine, Puljujarvi and Chychrun) followed by a handful of very good prospects with a drop off late in the top ten.

We're pretty much certain of a top-5 pick in this coming draft. And, there are more than 5 fantastic draft prospects, so in some sense we can't go wrong. If we don't get #1 overall (Matthews) then I'm 100% behind getting the best defenseman available since I'm bullish on upgrading our defense. I like Chychrun a lot. Kid just looks confident in everything he does.

Unless we win the lottery we're not picking in the top 5.  Currently we're 4th last and only 3 points out of not being in the bottom 5.  Considering the expected return of Reindhartd after the ASG and Eichel finally putting up the points some expected at the start of the year I don't see much of a chance finishing in the bottom 5.

Unless we win the lottery we're not picking in the top 5.  Currently we're 4th last and only 3 points out of not being in the bottom 5.  Considering the expected return of Reindhartd after the ASG and Eichel finally putting up the points some expected at the start of the year I don't see much of a chance finishing in the bottom 5.

Buffalo is 3rd in points lost %, and has the 3rd worst goal differential.   

IMO Columbus moves out of the bottom 3 by the end of the season, leaving BUF, EDM, TOR in the basement.     

If BUF finishes 3rd last, they have an 86% chance of picking in the top 5.

IMO Columbus moves out of the bottom 3 by the end of the season, leaving BUF, EDM, TOR in the basement.     

I just don't see it happening.  But I guess that's why we each agreed to the bet haha.

thats an optimistic take, not sure I agree. getting out of the bottom 6 will not be easy for them IMO

I could see the Oilers, now that McDavid is back, moving out of the bottom feeders and into the next group above along with the Canucks, Ducks and Flyers. 

The Blue Jackets and Leafs are a hot mess and will stay near the bottom.

That leaves the Jets, Flames and Sabres to battle it out for 3rd, 4th, 5th last. 

As for the draft, I believe Laine, Puljujarvi and Matthews are in a tier by themselves.

Tkachuk and Chychrun close out the top 5.

Nylander and Juolevi are the only others that have a chnce to break into the top 5 at this time.

If Sabres get unlucky and end up drafting 8th - they would have to have a long look at Sergachyov (D), Gauthier (RW) and Dubois (LW).

McLeod is a really good player as someone noted but he is a true center and I don't think the Sabres would take him unless they thought he was the "BPA" by a wide margin.

when thinking about the Sabres lets not forget that McGinn, Weber and Johnson's time on the team is running low being  replaced by AHLers.

Edited by Crusader1969

thats an optimistic take, not sure I agree. getting out of the bottom 6 will not be easy for them IMO

I could see the Oilers, now that McDavid is back, moving out of the bottom feeders and into the next group above along with the Canucks, Ducks and Flyers. 

That leaves the Jets, Flames and Sabres to battle it out for 3rd, 4th, 5th last. 

As for the draft, I believe Laine, Puljujarvi and Matthews are in a tier by themselves.

Nylander and Juolevi are the only others that have a chnce to break into the top 5 at this time.

If Sabres get unlucky and end up drafting 8th - they would have to have a long look at Sergachyov (D), Gauthier (RW) and Dubois (LW).

McLeod is a really good player as someone noted but he is a true center and I don't think the Sabres would take him unless they thought he was the "BPA" by a wide margin.

when thinking about the Sabres lets not forget that McGinn, Weber and Johnson's time on the team is running low being  replaced by AHLers.

I'll agree with your rankings.  My first thought was why is McLeod in the discussion but I agree if the talent is close you take position of need.  Although I still think any C can move to wing much easier than visa versa.

Don't count out Montreal from the bottom 5.  They are 8 ahead of Buffalo but have been in absolute free fall mode.  When is Price expected back? 

I really don' think we'll end in the top 5. 

Oilers get back McDavid, but have lost RNH for the foreseeable future

The Leafs will have a fire-sale and be the worst team

The BJ's are stuck with Torts and a top 1-2 pick

Calgary is a ###### terrible analytical team, they will continue to be so

To me, it comes down to us or Winnipeg. I don't know a ton of Winnipeg's schedule, but I know this

- We might be getting Ennis back, and are getting Reinhart back

- Jack has been way, way better

- Winnipeg will jettison Buff/Ladd by most reports so far. One of them is going, maybe both

- We'll lose (maybe) Ennis, but he's been out all year anyways. Other than that, the only significant blow to our roster's current competitiveness is McGinn, and that's not exactly Ladd/Buff crippling

- We've played our hardest teams, by far. A lot of our remaining schedule is dominated by non-playoff/poor teams

- A brief look at the Jets' schedule and I see the Stars 3X, the Blues, Hawks 2X, Kings, Pens, and Panthers. We've played all of our allotted games for those teams, except Florida and LA

We have: Bruins 3X, Rangers 2X, Kings, 2XPens, Wings, Canadiens 4X, Jackets 2X, Leafs 3X, Canes 2X, and Edmonton

Our schedule couldn't really be much better. The only swing there for me is the Bruins and Canadiens, provided Price is still out and we play Boston solidly 

Edited by WildCard

McDavid coming back with Nuge getting hurt is still a sizable net gain for the Oilers.

Presumably it's a gain.  I get that McDavid is obviously an unreal player but he's also not played hockey for the past 3 months.  May take 5 or so games (17% of remaining schedule) to get back into it.

Good points being made by all and I think the Flyers will make another Pyrrhic run out of the bottom 5.  The underlined is the most influential on the Sabres eventual finish.  I would rather, they give looks to some of the younger guys just to give them a measuring stick of where they stand in relation to a NHL career.  I've seen enough of COR.

Good points being made by all and I think the Flyers will make another Pyrrhic run out of the bottom 5.  The underlined is the most influential on the Sabres eventual finish.  I would rather, they give looks to some of the younger guys just to give them a measuring stick of where they stand in relation to a NHL career.  I've seen enough of COR.

I wonder if Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching will see some time this year. Even getting a few games in this year can show those young guys how much the jump is and what they need to work at in the offseason 

I wonder if Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching will see some time this year. Even getting a few games in this year can show those young guys how much the jump is and what they need to work at in the offseason 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Fasching up here.  If we lose McGinn it will hurt a bit.  Johnson being gone shouldn't be a huge issue based on the play of the two Swedes.  Weber has played much better the past few weeks but losing him is not going to negatively impact the team in any significant way. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Fasching up here.  If we lose McGinn it will hurt a bit.  Johnson being gone shouldn't be a huge issue based on the play of the two Swedes.  Weber has played much better the past few weeks but losing him is not going to negatively impact the team in any significant way.

I've been waiting to see Fasching play for us ever since Murray traded for him. He seems very much like McGinn to me, hopefully with more upside and scoring potential.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.