2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Not sure why I just noticed this, but the Sabres have 4 third round draft pics odd

The Ryan Miller trade had a contingency on a 2nd vs 3rd, Jamie McGinn, and Enroth.  Those are the three extra 3rds. 

um, well Canada had something to say about that

True, but they are playing elite regardless of the competition.  I would say that you can argue that Finland is coming closer to passing Sweden for the elite European country for output of talent.  IMO.  At least in the last handful of seasons.  As well as competing very well with the US and Canada. 

From all the trades. My guess is gmtm will try: (a) to trade a couple of them and the 2nd rd pick to move back in the first, or (b) to trade 3 of them to grab another 2nd rounder or © trade a couple of them to a cash strapped team for a veteran (Rick Nash for instance)

From all the trades. My guess is gmtm will try: (a) to trade a couple of them and the 2nd rd pick to move back in the first, or (b) to trade 3 of them to grab another 2nd rounder or © trade a couple of them to a cash strapped team for a veteran (Rick Nash for instance)

You forgot just drafting 4 3rd rounders. He has to hit on at least one, right?

You only have 50 contracts to spread around, so you can't be drafting that many players. Last year, at one point, we had 3 first and two seconds. We ended up only drafting 2 players with that. With 6 picks in the first three rounds, I bet we trade 3 of them

You only have 50 contracts to spread around, so you can't be drafting that many players. Last year, at one point, we had 3 first and two seconds. We ended up only drafting 2 players with that. With 6 picks in the first three rounds, I bet we trade 3 of them

Trading them entails another team(s) picking them up and we know GMTM has tried this in the past and failed (and that was with 2nd rounders). You can draft 4 3rd rounders without having any effect on the contract limit. Picks don't equal contracts. Plus, 3rd rounders (and on) are usually busts. It's best having the odds in your favor because you never know when you might strike gold.

Edited by kas23

I stole this info from HF.  Here is some good analysis on the expected utility of defensemen selected in the first round and in the 2nd/3rd round.  Worth a read IMO.  Spoiler alert, defensemen selected higher usually work out better.

https://bluebulletreport.com/2016/03/21/expected-draft-value-of-a-first-round-defenseman/

https://bluebulletreport.com/2016/04/01/expected-draft-value-of-a-second-third-round-defenseman/

Interesting Analysis but I would expect similar results for forwards, the key is finding late bloomers like Nelson either thru draft and develop or thru college euro ufas.

Ya I wish the analysis looked at success rates of forwards vs defensemen at certain spots in the draft.

Ya I wish the analysis looked at success rates of forwards vs defensemen at certain spots in the draft.

It seems to me that there's a lot more variance in where the best defensemen in the league come from than the best forwards. The best forwards seem to almost universally be top picks, and while many of the best defensemen are also top picks, I think a higher percentage come from later picks. Ultimately I think it speaks to the difficulty in assessing and projecting defensemen at the junior level. I have no data for this, just running through names in my head.

Supposed to find out today if we get seats for the draft. If I get the four I've requested, Hello Toronto? I want you to come here an have fun and enjoy the festivities. I'll take $500 for the four of them.

It seems to me that there's a lot more variance in where the best defensemen in the league come from than the best forwards. The best forwards seem to almost universally be top picks, and while many of the best defensemen are also top picks, I think a higher percentage come from later picks. Ultimately I think it speaks to the difficulty in assessing and projecting defensemen at the junior level. I have no data for this, just running through names in my head.

This seems right to me as well.  Was just hoping that the analysis (read work) has been completed out there in the interwebs.  I'm sure the teams have info similar to this but in this day and age I would have thought there would be an analysis floating around out there.

Supposed to find out today if we get seats for the draft. If I get the four I've requested, Hello Toronto? I want you to come here an have fun and enjoy the festivities. I'll take $500 for the four of them.

It's your money and I don't blame you for doing this but it's going to be very disappointing seeing leaf fans overrun our building for the draft......

It's your money and I don't blame you for doing this but it's going to be very disappointing seeing leaf fans overrun our building for the draft......

Fully agree and partly why I'm willing to do it. I have not and will not ever sell game tickets to them though. But for this and what they may be willing to pay? I think I will do it if I get the tickets. The price their willing to pay will be interesting. I mean there's no way in hell I'm giving you $500 for four seats for a draft. Nope. I'll see if they will though :cry:

Does PA know you are openly courting Toronto fans?

GO SABRES!!!

So can I buy tickets anywhere or are they sold out?

General public tickets go on sale June 1st, but there's only 1000 or something like that. Here's some info from FNC's website:

"Tickets to the first round on June 24th will go on sale to the public on June 1st and will cost $30 for the 100 and 200 levels and $20 for the 300 level. Tickets can be purchased online through Tickets.com or by phone at 888-223-6000."

Let them. Just have a huge banner of Jack and Samson for them to look at while they celebrate their consolation prize.

That's a fine idea. Take pics of them laughing, then blow them up to a distasteful size and hang them behind the podium. Someone could even pipe in some snickering while the Leafs are on the clock, which of course would become very loud as the pick is announced.

Too bad - I would have paid $500 for them (seriously). Coming in from CT with my son's and hoping to get tickets. Guess I'll try my luck 6/1 or on stub hub

This is nuts. I don't think I'd pay $500 to attend any event unless it involved me and Kate Upton alone.

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.