GDT Sabres at Arizona 3/30/15 10pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

We don't get the choice in the lottery.  We must secure our own destiny.

I'm alright with not getting McDavid.  I'm not alright with neither getting McDavid nor Eichel.

Oh well it is what it  is, not like the penguins are going on to multiple cup runs with their two star centers.

Yes they atleast got one, but i don't want one, i want a whole series of cups :D

The worst part is that whether or not they finish 30th (but especially if they don't), this is going to be ugly at home down the stretch.  They have two home games before they could possibly clinch and almost certainly one more before they realistically could.  The soonest that Arizona could clinch would be in their second-to-last game in Vancouver, so it very well all could come down to the final night at home against Pittsburgh ('Yotes at home against the Ducks).  Can you imagine what a "must lose" (to get 30th) game would be like?  Mike Weber didn't like fans cheering against them with 8 games left, how is he going to feel about it in the final game of a terrible season when 90% of the building would desperately want them to get blown out?

Edited by carpandean

The worst part is that whether or not they finish 30th (but especially if they don't), this is going to be ugly at home down the stretch. They have two home games before they could possibly clinch and almost certainly one more before they realistically could. The soonest that Arizona could clinch would be in their second-to-last game in Vancouver, so it very well all could come down to the final night at home against Pittsburgh ('Yotes at home against the Ducks). Can you imagine what a "must lose" (to get 30th) game would be like? Mike Weber didn't like fans cheering against them with 8 games left, how is he going to feel about it in the final game of a terrible season when 90% of the building would desperately want them to get blown out?

And I have 4 tickets to Pitt thinking my kids would enjoy the jersey giveaways. That's gonna suck if it's a must lose.

Yep, nothing worse than enjoying when your team wins.

C'mon. Celebrating wins now is just as much baiting as cheering for loses was early in the season.

I really do find all the hysteria pretty funny, though. Especially because, "It was never about one guy!"

And I have 4 tickets to Pitt thinking my kids would enjoy the jersey giveaways. That's gonna suck if it's a must lose.

I'd like to think that fans would take the moral high ground if the team has already been eliminated, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Your only hope is that the Sabres clinch ahead of time.

I think it's quite obvious that the Sabres are the better team than Arizona...

I don't think this is obvious at all. Look at the post-deadline records. Look at the head to head meetings which even though they gained a point on us, they dominated the first game just like we did the second. The only thing obvious about these two teams is they're worse than the rest of the league.

OK, trying to find something to make things feel better.  Ask yourself this: what is the chance, now, that the Sabres hold on to 30th?  Call that p.  If we assume that Edmonton is out (even if they lose all 6 games after going 5-1-2 in their last 8, the Sabres would have to go 6-0-0, 5-1-0, 5-0-1 or 4-0-2 to pass them), then the chance of McEichel is:

McE = p + 0.335(1-p)

Optimist?  p = 0.75 --> McE = 83%

Neutral? p = 0.50 --> McE = 67%

Pessimist? p = 0.25 --> McE = 50%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

p = 89%

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Oh hell no. But it's not the gloom and doom everyone makes it out to be.

At this point, the Sabres are making it "interesting" when they don't have to. That's what the fans get for cheering opponent goals the other night.

They are definitely playing harder than they have all season, especially for a whole game.

Dam fans ruin everything...

They are definitely playing harder than they have all season, especially for a whole game.

I still expect them to complete the tank, but I have to say I'm encouraged that they are playing with that killer instinct late into games. I would have preferred to have the December winning streak now (with losses at that time) so the lead on the shart would have been bigger, then I could enjoy their current play more.

If the Sabres do end up with Eichel, there's a chance he won't join the team next year. I read an article where several NHLers that jumped out of the NCAA after one season said they wished they'd stayed another year or two. The article pointed out that Eichel is an exceptional player, but he could still conceivably stay in college another year.

I think if the Sabres got him that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It would give the Sabres a season to build up before getting their premium player dumped in their lap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.