2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Fancy Stats says Weber has the best Corsi and Fenwick on the team.

So, what should we look at? Well, we can start here, at the NHL equivalent of MLB's WAR. And, guess where Mike Weber places on the charts for FF/FA and

Scoring Chances For/Scoring Chances Against? DFL, that's where. Or, as labeled on their graphs, "Overwhelmed." And, consistent with our intuitions about good d-men, all of the usual suspects for top defenders in the league rank at the top of these categories.

http://www.todayssla...fenseman-types/

So, what should we look at? Well, we can start here, at the NHL equivalent of MLB's WAR. And, guess where Mike Weber places on the charts for FF/FA and

Scoring Chances For/Scoring Chances Against? DFL, that's where. Or, as labeled on their graphs, "Overwhelmed." And, consistent with our intuitions about good d-men, all of the usual suspects for top defenders in the league rank at the top of these categories.

http://www.todayssla...fenseman-types/

Old Data, he's really turned it around this year.

27th overall player in the league at CF%. There will always be dumb exceptions to advanced stats.

No. Weber is better than what people here think. I'm not saying he's a world beater. I'm just saying he doesn't deserve the amount of scorn he gets

On another note, watching Pysyk in person on Saturday was a real treat,... McCabe too, but Pysyk is just butter.

No. Weber is better than what people here think. I'm not saying he's a world beater. I'm just saying he doesn't deserve the amount of scorn he gets

On another note, watching Pysyk in person on Saturday was a real treat,... McCabe too, but Pysyk is just butter.

Between games this is how I usually feel. But during them, I remember why people give him so much crap. The guy cannot make basic plays consistently. I think his physical abilities are totally overblown. He doesn't win board battles or clear the crease, and he's usually too slow to get to either place in time anyway. There was a stretch earlier this year of 3 games out of four where he iced the puck before either taking 2 more steps to hit the red line or hitting open teammates with minimal pressure and the ensuing faceoff resulted in a goal against. He has half a dozen poorly-timed failed checks that have opened up odd man rushes against, several of which have resulted in goals against. All of this with his guaranteed 2+ PIM per game make for a disaster. I thought he played his best game of the year against TB and even then those two penalties he took were awful.

And anyone who thinks that playing against Horvat is sheltered minutes, hasn't been watching him play this year.

I'm sure he's been on the ice against good players occasionally, but if we played him against talented offensive players consistently we'd be in deep .

Edited by Hoss

Between games this is how I usually feel. But during them, I remember why people give him so much crap. The guy cannot make basic plays consistently. I think his physical abilities are totally overblown. He doesn't win board battles or clear the crease, and he's usually too slow to get to either place in time anyway. There was a stretch earlier this year of 3 games out of four where he iced the puck before either taking 2 more steps to hit the red line or hitting open teammates with minimal pressure and the ensuing faceoff resulted in a goal against. He has half a dozen poorly-timed failed checks that have opened up odd man rushes against, several of which have resulted in goals against. All of this with his guaranteed 2+ PIM per game make for a disaster. I thought he played his best game of the year against TB and even then those two penalties he took were awful.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Or, at least, a person and a message board poster. At least half of that is accurate.

Also, if Weber is better than we think, Bylsma obviously disagrees.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Or, at least, a person and a message board poster. At least half of that is accurate.

Nobody is arguing that Weber is anything better than a 7th defenseman.  He's currently seeing the ice because Bogo is hurt.  We wouldn't have seen him at all last week if Colo wasn't hurt too.

My point is that he is what he is and what he always has been, a 6/7 D man on an NHL team. Every team needs those. Do I wish he was Pronger?... well no chit. Of course I do. He obviously isn't, but he also doesn't deserve to be run out of the NHL either.

I wonder if we had stronger goal tending if he would be less of an issue to some. Seems LA has taken a bunch of others we have run out of town.

Nobody is arguing that Weber is anything better than a 7th defenseman. He's currently seeing the ice because Bogo is hurt. We wouldn't have seen him at all last week if Colo wasn't hurt too.

I think most who like him are more of the opinion that he's a true #6 and deserves a regular lineup spot. Maybe I'm just off on that perception.

But I don't even think he a #7, to be honest. My ideal 7th Dman is limited but brings something to the table, preferably some skating and the ability to make a zone exit. I honestly and truly don't think Weber brings anything.

My point is that he is what he is and what he always has been, a 6/7 D man on an NHL team. Every team needs those. Do I wish he was Pronger?... well no chit. Of course I do. He obviously isn't, but he also doesn't deserve to be run out of the NHL either.

I wonder if we had stronger goal tending if he would be less of an issue to some. Seems LA has taken a bunch of others we have run out of town.

I think he's a very borderline NHL player at best. I'd say he's the Matt Ellis of defensemen, but Ellis didn't regularly hurt the team, he just was kinda there. Weber routinely has negative plays.

You're right, I am a scholar! Well, I have textbooks open around me while I watch Sabres games at a college. Sometimes.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I buy all of mine and keep most of them. But the internet makes it so that it only takes about 75% of one week's pay to cover them.

Some mild advice: I kept most of my text books, and never looked at them again. And that was mostly before having access to a fair bit of the world's knowledge in a computer in my pocket. I donated them a few years ago hoping someone would get some use out of them.

Lines at practice:

Moulson-O'Reilly-Gionta

Larsson-Eichel-Ennis

Deslauriers-Legwand-McGinn

Foligno-Schaller-Reinhart

No #28.

@BuffaloSabres  2m

Defense this AM:

Gorges-Ristolainen

McCabe-Bogosian

Colaiacovo-Franson

Pysyk rotating

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.