GDT: Buffalo at Nashville. 3/21/2015 8:00 MSG

Doohickie

Watching the highlights, they put a lot of traffic on Pekka Rinne.  There's not much you can do when you're heavy in their zone.  The beck re-direct was little to late for Hackett.  Some nice chances on Rinne by Larsson, Hodgson, Grigorenko etc.

Just watched that goal (below).  Wow, f'ing ridiculous.  If that type of thing gets them 30th, I'm going to go ballistic.

Prepare your rant now.  The Sabres are finishing 29th and their fate will be in the hands of the lottery.

A good number of Sabres fans in the arena yesterday.  I sat behind the Sabres bench a couple of rows up from the tunnel and the section was about 1/3 Sabres fans.  Saw a lot of classic Sabres jerseys including a guy who had a Perreault Jersey and his sons had Robert and Martin.  I was in a Zadorov jersey.  ...Most of the Sabres fans knew the outcome of the game was inevitable, but felt a sort of civic duty to see the Sabres when they come to town.

Got far too wasted before, during, and after the game so I don't really have any game insights.   :flirt:

It's kind of sad that all arenas look alike now.

The Preds have a stage over the Zamboni entrance where they have bands play live music between periods.  They get "big name" performers for some games and local performers for others.  It's unique to Music City.  Yesterday for some reason they had Tiffany of late 80's fame.  Bizarre.

The Preds have a stage over the Zamboni entrance where they have bands play live music between periods.  They get "big name" performers for some games and local performers for others.  It's unique to Music City.  Yesterday for some reason they had Tiffany of late 80's fame.  Bizarre.

Tiffany still milking that hit from the 80's ? Good for her. Its a sad state of affairs for sure. Whats happened to our game ? 

Tiffany still milking that hit from the 80's ? Good for her. Its a sad state of affairs for sure. Whats happened to our game ? 

It seems that Nashville may be one of the organizations doing it right from what I've heard from our resident Preds fans.  Given the atmosphere their rink has. I'm not going to criticize them for their in game productions.  If only Sabres games were as lively over the last 7-8 years.

It seems that Nashville may be one of the organizations doing it right from what I've heard from our resident Preds fans.  Given the atmosphere their rink has. I'm not going to criticize them for their in game productions.  If only Sabres games were as lively over the last 7-8 years.

For me its more about the choice of music :blink:

For me its more about the choice of music :blink:

I've seen Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Big and Rich, Kansas, Alice Cooper, etc. on the sound stage singing between periods.  And, I was pretty hammered before the puck even dropped yesterday.  But, sitting there between the first and second periods I was sure I heard Tiffany's "I think we're alone now" remake wafting through the arena.  Sure, enough there she was on the soundstage.  She looks old and a little rough around the edges these days.  It was strange... yet kind of awesome.

Like it or not, the days of a stoic Milt Ellis and an organist as the main forms of non-game in-arena entertainment are long gone.  Arenas find a way to keep fans engaged and energized regardless of the score.  Sadly, Buffalo is the worst I've seen for in-game marketing.  People on this forum say they prefer it that way, which is fine... but I find it unsurprising that the FNC sounds like a library most games.  The rationale for more/better in-game marketing: if the team is terrible (as the Sabres are), you at least can give the fans a show that allows them to have a good time regardless of the game outcome.

I've seen Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Big and Rich, Kansas, Alice Cooper, etc. on the sound stage singing between periods.  And, I was pretty hammered before the puck even dropped yesterday.  But, sitting there between the first and second periods I was sure I heard Tiffany's "I think we're alone now" remake wafting through the arena.  Sure, enough there she was on the soundstage.  She looks old and a little rough around the edges these days.  It was strange... yet kind of awesome.

Like it or not, the days of a stoic Milt Ellis and an organist as the main forms of non-game in-arena entertainment are long gone.  Arenas find a way to keep fans engaged and energized regardless of the score.  Sadly, Buffalo is the worst I've seen for in-game marketing.  People on this forum say they prefer it that way, which is fine... but I find it unsurprising that the FNC sounds like a library most games.  The rationale for more/better in-game marketing: if the team is terrible (as the Sabres are), you at least can give the fans a show that allows them to have a good time regardless of the game outcome.

I remember a time when a good rollicking game of hockey with big hits and beautiful end to end rushes brought the people out of their seats with no need for gimmicks other than an organist or some crazy dude hitting a drum.

I remember a time when a good rollicking game of hockey with big hits and beautiful end to end rushes brought the people out of their seats with no need for gimmicks other than an organist or some crazy dude hitting a drum.

Thank the trap and the NHL's head in the sand about the lack of offense for why the game itself isn't enough any more.  If the game opened up and flowed like it did in the 80's they wouldn't need live bands.

Thank the trap and the NHL's head in the sand about the lack of offense for why the game itself isn't enough any more.  If the game opened up and flowed like it did in the 80's they wouldn't need live bands.

I agree with this. Oversized goalie equipment, elaborate defensive trap systems, clogging up the shooting lanes, etc. Get up by a goal then go into a defensive shell. And (as someone said upthread) the shots that go into the net these days are the result of luck much of the time in that they pinball off of players.

There won't be any 100-point players this year and there is a high probability of only three 40-goal scorers (Ovi, Stamkos, Nash).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.